Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
The Kindness of a Stranger

This was emailed to me today and I just wanted to share with you.
You might just as well grab a tissue before you start reading.

Meredith's Mom wrote: As a parent and a pet lover, this is one of the kindest things that I've ever experienced. I have no way to know who sent it, but there is some very kind soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service.

Some of you may know that our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month (10/23). The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. She dictated and I wrote:

Dear God,
Will you please take special care of our dog, Abbey? She died yesterday and is in heaven. We miss her very much. We are happy that you let us have her as our dog even though she got sick. I hope that you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and swim before she got sick. I am sending some pictures of her so that when you see her in heaven you will know she is our special dog. But I really do miss her.
Love,
Meredith Claire

PS: Mommy wrote the words after Meredith told them to her

We put that in an envelope with 2 pictures of Abbey, and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith stuck some stamps on the front because, as she said, it may take lots of stamps to get a letter all the way to heaven) and that afternoon I let her drop it into the letter box at the post office. For a few days, she would ask if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had
Yesterday, we took the kids to Austin to a natural history museum. When we got back, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch. Curious, I went to look at it. It had a gold star card on the front and said "To: Meredith" in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith took it in and opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers, "When a Pet Dies." Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God, in its opened envelope (which was marked Return to Sender: Insufficient address). On the opposite page, one of the pictures of Abbey was taped under the words "For Meredith." We turned to the back cover, and there was the other picture of Abbey, and this handwritten note on pink paper:

"Dear Meredith,
I know that you will be happy to know that Abbey arrived safely and soundly in Heaven! Having the pictures you sent to me was such a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. You know, Meredith, she isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me--just like she stays in your heart--young and running and playing. Abbey loved being your dog, you know.
Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets so I can't keep your beautiful letter. I am sending it to you with the pictures so that you will have this book to keep and remember Abbey. One of my angels is taking care of this for me. I hope the little book helps. Thank you for the bea utiful letter. Thank your mother for sending it. What a wonderful mother you have! I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I am wherever there is love.
Love,
God,
(and the special angel who wrote this after God told him the words.)

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Boy, it doesn't get much better than that!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
BEAUTIFUL!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
"PRICELESS"

Thanks for sharing, I know my cats are up there with Abbey right now.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Thats one Postal worker thats underpaid. Bravo!!!
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
That's really nice.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I agree with WildBigBill--that postal worker is underpaid. I guess there are angels at the post office also.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote