Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
engine brake

ive been a truck driver for thirty years and i need some info on jake brakes or pac brake's which one is better for my 05 dodge truck with the cummins diesel.

tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Strictly speaking, your Dodge can only have a PAC brake, which is an exhaust brake. This type of braking system puts a restriction in the exhaust so the engine has to work against the back pressure.

A true Jake brake involves changing the timing of the valves to turn the engine into a compressor to provide braking action. That pressure is released at the top of the piston travel so that it doesn't push the piston back down. That creates the classic popping sound of the Jake brake.

Dodge didn't warrant the exhaust brake in early models because it wasn't an authorized modification. Newer models can have the exhaust brake installed. If you do a search, you'll find more specifics on when Dodge allowed the exhaust brake, as well as which brakes people have installed and how they like them.

The newer trucks have programming for the transmission that a number of people think eliminates the need for the exhaust brake. There have been several threads on that, too.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I can only comment that when I purchased my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, the dealer recommended a Jake break. They installed it with the represention that it did not violate the waranty . It works great, coming down fairly steep East Coast hills with the Jake on when I am pulling my 3075RL Montana, I never have to touch the truck breaks.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:42 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My 03 has the dealer installed Jacobs exhaust break, but I have the manual six speed. The warranty issues was with the automatic transmission. I have the 3.73 rear ends and find it works great as long as I go down the hills in the same gear I pulled the hill. I know it makes sense to you truck drivers but some might think it acts like a regular break and it does not. I am glad I have it.

I am looking at the banks upgrade. Their exhaust will not match to my exhaust brake (4" versus 3") opening. They want me to put on their exhaust break. I hope this helps.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:05 AM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Richard you never mentioned you had the automatic or standard transmission. I did a lot of research as I have a 2005 Automatic. The Exhaust brake will work on the Standard or manual transmission. It will not work on the Automatic. Ok they can put it on. But if you add the additional part that would lock up the torque converter to really make it work, Dodge will void the warranty. In the 2006 Dodge Automatic IT WILL WORK. It all has to do with the computer programing in the dodge and cummins engine. Even after a lot of complaining the cost to change the programing to make it work on the 2005 automatic is prohibitive according to cummins and dodge. Hope this helps. Safe travels John H.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have a F350 7.3L with an automatic tranmission. Is there an exhaust brake that will work on this setup? If so, about how much is it installed?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I have a F350 7.3L with an automatic tranmission. Is there an exhaust brake that will work on this setup? If so, about how much is it installed?
I have the Banks Exhaust Brake which works wonderfully for me. I don't know about the other exhaust brakes.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I have a 2006 3500 Dodge Ram with automatic transmission and Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel with 3:73 rear end. I had the Jacobs exhaust brake installed by the dealer, this is the best option bought for the truck!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote