Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
PullRite slider hitch and bedsaver.

We have a 16k pullrite slider hitch. Reading about the necessity of a bedsaver, is there one made for the Pullrite? Diana

DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This is a copy from the "an oh-no experience in the park" thread...

Diana, I feel if you are attentive to your hitching process a bed saver on a Pullrite is totally unnecessary. Unlike the clam shell locking mechanisms on most other hitches the "positive" locking device on the Pullrite hitches cannot slip open once locked in place. About the only way to have a bad hitch up with a Pullrite is a high hitch which Carol can tell you all about.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Everyone THINKS they don't need a Bedsaver. But we're human and things don't always go as desired. For its price ($150 more or less) it's cheap insurance against human error....a bad hitchup, forgetting to put out chocks, hitch failure, distraction during the process. It happens.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
A repeat of my post another thread, in response to Glenn's comments,

YEP, and we knew it IMMEDIATELY! It did not sound right, NOR look right. Taking no chances we unhooked, and redid the entire procedure. No problem the second attempt. This was the only occurance we have had, but it was a good reminder for us, PAY ATTENTION with your ears and your eyes! And, even tho we know Glenn does not do it, we do, pull test. Probably not necessary, but it puts us in a "comfort zone" knowing we have done so. Maybe when we get to be pros at this we won't do the pull test - - - - NAHHHH, think we will probably ALWAYS do one.

Judy, you are right about those distractions!!! WAY RIGHT!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have a Reese 15k with a one piece locking mechanism, no jaws. I have the lock plate painted white so I can always tell if it is in place across the pin.The release arm portion that goes in to the hitch when it is latched is painted red,that also helps to tell if all is latched. Then when the lock goes in the arm I know all is cool. I have the pin box painted red,to much factory black.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:07 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ok, guys another newbie question, actually two.

What is a bedsaver?

What is a pull test?

On our hitch, which is a Drawtite, has a latch that closes and then we put a pin in it to make sure it won't pop open.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:29 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bedsaver, maybe Glenn has a link????

Pull Test, when hooked up, before raising the legs all the way, we put Big Butt in drive and give a gentle tug forward to hopefully test integrity of the hitching. If the legs are only a few inches off the ground and you should happen to not be hooked correctly, the trailer cannot hit the bed rails of the truck if it falls off the hitch.

Now, fellas come along and give a correct description, will ya, I need more coffee this AM!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bedsaver....www.rvupgradestore.com www.blueox.us
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:00 AM   #9
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Carol has the pull test nailed. I might add that I do the pull test before removing the chocks. Chock placement is this first item on my list when pulling in and the last when pulling out. At least until somebody else on here changes my mind!
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:02 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Thanks Rich!
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:32 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Don, for restating the obvious! Told ya I needed more coffee! (Still do!)
Old 05-23-2006, 08:10 AM   #12
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DiananColin

We have a 16k pullrite slider hitch. Reading about the necessity of a bedsaver, is there one made for the Pullrite? Diana
I contacted rvupgrade directly and they do NOT make a bed saver for the PullRite 16K SuperGlide - the automatic slider. They do make one for the PullRite 15.5K hitch but I do not know if the 15.5K is a slider or if the bed saver would work on your hitch.

B
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now that you mention it I don't see how a bed saver could work on the Superglide. The way the Superglide itself swivels and not the king pin how could it work? Maybe a call to Pullrite is in order.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Last I heard, the bedsaver will not work with the Superglide. I also agree that there is really no reason for one if you have the Superglide. The automatic locking mechanism that slides into place can been seen while backing up during hook-ups.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote