Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
oldie but a goodie

I have a 3280 Rl and did some work on the inside. I replaced some flooring and refinished the dining table. I took pictures but my computer refuses to upload them.

However I have also been working on the outside. Lots of oxidation. Thank God it's only 34' long LOL
I did however get those to upload. I was using a cutting polish and a orange pad on my buffer. It was taking forever. So I went to Napa and got a wool pad. Then I remembered that I saw on TV that Nu Finish did wonders on oxidation. Well they are correct. A wool pad and Nu Finish and wow it sure did a job. I also went right over my graphic because they are mostly shot so it couldn't do more damage. Well it didn't ruin them at all. So I have been buffing right over the top of them and I have not had any problem. I can see why a guy would want $800 to do this. But I am cheap LOL and I dont want to pay a guy for something I can do myself. I have about 20 hours in it now. I have one corner yet to do along with the front cap. The rear one looks amazing. It looked just like the front in the photos when I started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0483.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	6121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0484.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	6122   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0485.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	6123   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0486.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	6124   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0487.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	6125  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0488.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	6126   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0489.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	6127   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0490.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	6128   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0493.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	6129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0491.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	6130  

Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Nice job. I’m working on ours too. Just seems I’m always busy doing else!!

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
It sets north to south so I have to wait for the sun to pas so I am working in the shade. Not for me but you cant wax in the sun. This is turning out better than I imagined. i don't believe the trailer has ever been waxed. We want to buy something newer so I am doing all this work so I can put her on the market.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Looks great. When can you work mine in??
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your camper looks great. If it were mine I’d use it. I wouldn’t think about selling it.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I have pondered that but mine is so old school. I would like to pull into a campsite and just push the button to level up. I am looking at something with full body paint and disk brakes. I may have another 10 years left in my camping. Not sure the 03 will make it. LOL
Old 04-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Be careful with NuFinsh. I've always used it on vehicles and boats. And i used it on my new 3121, but it left marks on graphics and the aluminum skirting. I did not know it at the time, but being a polish is has grit particles that scratched the marks. They are visible when when looking at it at certain angles to the sun. For oxidation, it would probably do a good job, but I don't use it on the 3121 any more.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #8
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Be careful with NuFinsh. I've always used it on vehicles and boats. And i used it on my new 3121, but it left marks on graphics and the aluminum skirting. I did not know it at the time, but being a polish is has grit particles that scratched the marks. They are visible when when looking at it at certain angles to the sun. For oxidation, it would probably do a good job, but I don't use it on the 3121 any more.
I wouldn't use this stuff on my car because it may be a bit to ruff. I am also using a wool pad. It doesn't seem to scratch anything but my graphics are shot. i just wish the previous owner had taken better care of the outside. But the sun will beat the graphics up regardless of what you do. I have had this trailer for 5 years. I wash it when I go on out trips and then again when we put it away for the season. This is the first time foe it to be waxed ever. The front and rear caps are the most work. The oxidation on the sides seem to come off the best. I washed it with Simple Green with a stiff brush. Ya I know not recommended lol i needed to get some of the oxidation off and it worked great. The sun is killing me. I cant work it with the sun shining on it. I may have to turn the trailer around to get the front in the shade more.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I wouldn't use this stuff on my car because it may be a bit to ruff. I am also using a wool pad. It doesn't seem to scratch anything but my graphics are shot. i just wish the previous owner had taken better care of the outside. But the sun will beat the graphics up regardless of what you do. I have had this trailer for 5 years. I wash it when I go on out trips and then again when we put it away for the season. This is the first time foe it to be waxed ever. The front and rear caps are the most work. The oxidation on the sides seem to come off the best. I washed it with Simple Green with a stiff brush. Ya I know not recommended lol i needed to get some of the oxidation off and it worked great. The sun is killing me. I cant work it with the sun shining on it. I may have to turn the trailer around to get the front in the shade more.
Yes, I don't use it on anything any more.