Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tire warranty question

Since several are and others have added the LT tires to their Montanas, is there a warranty issue going from the ST's to LT's. I remember reading on this forum that the ST tires have a stiffer sidewall to absorb the torque of turning and dragging those tires around corners and that the LT's have a softer sidewall.

This is for future reference and thanks in advance.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Since several are and others have added the LT tires to their Montanas, is there a warranty issue going from the ST's to LT's. I remember reading on this forum that the ST tires have a stiffer sidewall to absorb the torque of turning and dragging those tires around corners and that the LT's have a softer sidewall.

This is for future reference and thanks in advance.
Thanks for the post Phil,I need to change out these Chinese tires and I am lost on which ones to replace with. I need to gather all the info. I can.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, are you talking tire warranty or Montana warranty? For a year or two Keystone put LT tires on the Montana so I don't think there'd be a warranty problem there. As for tires, I have no idea. I know ST tires say right on the sidewall "For Trailer Use Only" but I've never seen anything to make me think there'd be a problem with tire warranty. But I don't know for sure.

When we took delivery of our 2003 3295RK it came with Load Range D tires in an odd size despite the placard saying LR E. I questioned that with Keystone until they sent me this copy of a letter they apparently had previously written. It has some info about LT and ST in it also. I thought maybe it would provide some help with your question. If anyone has trouble reading this (it's reduced to forum size requirements) email me and I'll send a larger version.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
My Monty came with LT tires stock. I have been running them since 2003 with no problems. Ameritrac General.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, I guess my concern was both. For example: If you were running on LT's (your trailer), and you have a blowout, not a road hazard flat, would the manuf say you were using these tires not in the manner for which they were made and disallow a claim? Second example: If you were running the LT's and you had a catastrophic failure that caused damage to the suspension or frame of your 5er could Keystone deny a claim for not running proper tires?

Tim, I guess you answered my question partly, except your data tag from factory probably stated LT tires. This is primarily for those of us that had the ST's originally and are now changing.

OR, is this just something I should not even consider????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote