Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
ShawnRidin

M.O.C. #28182
Adding a window

Hello:

Model is 2018 Montana High Country HM375FL

Looking to add a window in a the rear bedroom slide out. Dealer says there is 'probably' a vertical stud in the middle. That's not what is seen. We see vertical studs about 12" in from both sides. That would leave plenty of room for a window.

Looking at a window similar to the existing window at the kitchen sink, a Sliding Window 37-1/4" x 16-3/4"

Can a Montana owner verify the construction of that slideout? Keystone won't say but that it is 'proprietary' information.

The more we know before we start (if we start), the less cutting/take apart we have to do.

Thanks!

ShawnRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I can't speak to that specific model but you can easily locate studs. One is a regular stud finder. Another is, on a cold morning you can see where wall studs on the outside of the trailer because of how dew accumulates. Warming up the inside will assist with this. Between the two you should get an idea of where you can cut.

If Keystone says proprietary it means they don't know either.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
These RVs are built with so much effort to cut costs; cheap materials etc. Why in the world would one want to take an RV, designed to barely hold together then cut out a wall to put a "new" window in it?? I can't fathom that. Most buy a floorplan (including window placement) that fits what they are looking for. An RV is not a wood, frame built S&B house.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Shawn,

Welcome to the forum!

I would continue your research before cutting into the slide - it could be an expensive mistake.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:30 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Installing a window is easy as long as there are no metal pieces in the way. I assure you want it on the outside wall above the headboard. Installing in a sidewall can be done but you need a different style window like the ones in the dining slide. Our camping group installed a number of windows in different rigs. They were salvaged from a Montana crushed by a huge tree. Who wouldn't want a bathroom window?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
MetalliScanner M40 Metal Locator by Zircon. \

You need one of these stud finders. I have used mine several times in our HC 343RL. You will be surprised how few studs are there with much of the support being the foam sandwich. Home Depot and Amazon they are ~42 bucks,

EBay often have Hehr or similar frameless clamp in windows but you can also order through Duncan Systems though you may need a business address to ship to. The pricing at Duncan is cost and is NOT an inexpensive item. My replacement 47x57 2 vent, 1 fixed pane window with screens and installation items was $840 with NY tax, packing and truck shipping (window itself was about $525, plus the other fees). https://www.rvglass.com/ and you will talk with either Trish or Emily, both helpful.

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #7
ShawnRidin

M.O.C. #28182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I assure you want it on the outside wall above the headboard.

Correct.

Why put in a window was a question. Because she wants one and there is space to put one in. Most people personalize most things they buy.

The 'look for moisture' idea for seeing studs seems to have proven productive. There are vertical structural members on that slide apparently; there appears to be two of them, each about 12" in from the edge.

Looks like the slide was designed with space to have a window put in!

Before anything is cut, we'll take the interior panel off and take a look.

Disclaimer:

"No damage was or will be caused to this RV in the looking into of this window installation."

Thanks for the information!
ShawnRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I thought there was at least one Montana with a window over the bed?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
On a previous toy hauler I added a window to the slide out side that did not have one. Only one side had a window
What I did was make a template that I can screw to the wall to run a router around to cut the hole from both sides. Just set the router deep enough to cut through the sheathing not into the metal.
I then took a Sawzall cut the aluminum stud away, slipped some wood between the inside and outside siding nailed together install the window with silicone. Never had any problems with it until I trade it in
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:38 AM   #10
Drdon1057
Established Member

M.O.C. #24426
The last window I put in was actually a large moon roof for a car. It worked perfect because I was able to put foam panels between the walls and draw it tight together with mounting ring on moon roof. I might have been lucky but, it was low cost and very easy to install. Just an option to consider. Happy Trails and Safe Travels.
Drdon1057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:33 AM   #11
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I thought there was at least one Montana with a window over the bed?
We have a 3741FK, and we have a window over our bed. The 3760FL does as well, and there could be others. Those are rear bedroom slide models, though. Don't know if that makes a difference...
Old 02-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #12
Rick Leary
Established Member

M.O.C. #20075
Send a message via AIM to Rick Leary Send a message via MSN to Rick Leary Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Leary
I would think long and hard before cutting a hole that size in an RV like the HC that, as I recall, was designed with lesser materials to reduce weight. Especially in a slide out where flex is critical. This could turn into a nightmare IMO. I wish you well!
Rick Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
ShawnRidin,

I have a 2019 375FL, same as yours, and I certainly understand why you want a window above the bed. I wish mine had one too. It would make such a difference in the bedroom.

We sleep in our's almost every night since we purchased it new. Some time ago, I woke up in the morning and noticed looking out the slide-out window that the outside of the camper was sweating and I could see the wall studs outlined. I took a lot of photos. Unfortunately, I did not get a shot of the bedroom slide.

Since then, we have done our share of cold weather camping and noticed, not only ours, but many other campers sweat also under the right conditions. All brands, makes, and models do it.

So, if you were to run your furnace when outside temperatures are in the 30's, and catch the dew in the morning, you'll have a perfect outline of the framing. Here's what mine looked like. Of course a stud finder will work too:

DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote