Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2024, 05:46 AM   #1
Scottdeb89
Established Member

M.O.C. #33617
Lightbulb Splitting center slides control switch from one to two to control them individually

Good morning all. I recently purchased a 2020 keystone Montana 3761 FL. My wife and I have noticed a concern as we're going to Kentucky in June with being able to get to the bedroom which we never had this problem in our front bedroom unit we had before. The dining room table slide blocks us getting from the bedroom and the rear bathroom. The dining room slide and the kitchen slide with the refrigerator are on the same switch. I wondered if anyone has ever split these two slides and put in an extra switch to control them individually? Then you could just move the dining room slide out and I could access my bedroom and the rear bathroom when we stop overnight while traveling. I am an ex auto mechanic for 24 years and still in the business I'm really feel like this should be a fairly simple thing, although I am hesitant without asking the question. This group was very knowledgeable when I found out I had to get rid of my truck and get a dually to handle this trailer. So I'm just hoping that somebody has an input to this. Thank you in advance and thank you for accepting me in the group. Scott

Scottdeb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:17 AM   #2
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Welcome to the forum. There should be hydraulic room rotary knobs on the level up panel. When you stop for the night, turn off the knob of the slide that you do not want to move and then operate the slide switch normally. Only the one slide will move. In the morning When you are ready to move, turn the knob back on and bring in your slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B779608-4A2A-4D41-804C-681F629AAC1A.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	16703  
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:51 AM   #3
Scottdeb89
Established Member

M.O.C. #33617
Thank you very much. I think I remember seeing those knobs but didn't know what they were for as my last keystone outback did not have them. Again. Thank you. I'll check it tonight when I get home!
Old 03-20-2024, 04:24 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Additionally, you will not be able to split them into separate switches as they are plumbed together on the hydraulic system.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:15 PM   #5
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
The meaning of the labeling is
DS= door side and ODS=other or opposite door side on the rig.
I initially thought it was driver side and opposite driver side, Boy was I wrong!
Old 03-24-2024, 04:02 PM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I could be a mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a 2020 unit has hydraulic slides. I thought they switched over to cable or Schwinn Tech before that
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:58 PM   #7
Scottdeb89
Established Member

M.O.C. #33617
Beeje,
The 2 center sides for the dining room and for the sink oven in refrigerator are hydraulic and there are controls on the panel that you level it to turn them off if you don't want one of them to go out you can turn it off. The other 3 slides aren't cables, they are like a worm drive. We were told that they had to be either open or closed. Don't stop in the middle of they get out of time.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:24 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdeb89 View Post
Beeje,
The 2 center sides for the dining room and for the sink oven in refrigerator are hydraulic and there are controls on the panel that you level it to turn them off if you don't want one of them to go out you can turn it off. The other 3 slides aren't cables, they are like a worm drive. We were told that they had to be either open or closed. Don't stop in the middle of they get out of time.
I SEE, that's why there are only two knobs to control the two hydraulic slides. There's no way to separate them on different switches your only choice is to turn the slide off that you don't want to move so you can only move the one that you'd like to move.
My unit has four hydraulic slides with four knobs. Kind of inconvenient with the knobs being outside of the camper and the slide switch being inside
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:48 AM   #9
Firedude359

M.O.C. #34058
Thank you for posting that, my wife and I just bought a 2017 Montana 3791RD and I had zero idea of what those knobs were for.
Firedude359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:15 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I SEE, that's why there are only two knobs to control the two hydraulic slides. There's no way to separate them on different switches your only choice is to turn the slide off that you don't want to move so you can only move the one that you'd like to move.
My unit has four hydraulic slides with four knobs. Kind of inconvenient with the knobs being outside of the camper and the slide switch being inside
I agree they would be easier to use if they were next to the switch(es) that open the slides.
For the longest time, I was worried about the slides creeping out while driving so I got in the habit of turning both off when I closed up to move the rig. Not sure it ever helped but I stopped doing it one day and never had a slide move out while driving, so I guess it was just paranoia.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#slide control