Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
What type & brand of oil do you use?

We are thinking of switching from traditional oil to synthetic in our 2002 Ford F250 7.3l. The local Ford dealership changes our 15qt for $60. However, we have heard from several Montana owners that they use synthetic because it does not loose its viscosity at higher heats and it is rated for up to 500 degrees. However, we are concerned about switching from regular to synthetic (engine concerns). The other thing is that it is way more expensive from what we have heard. We can get Rotella synthetic T7(or is it T6) for $21/gal at Wally World.

So I wanted to know your opinion. What type and what brand do you run in your trucks? What have you found? Thanks!

Feel free to be completely forthright in your opinions. I am

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
I run Schaeffer 9000 full synthetic in everything from the pressure washer up to the tractors and semis. Works for both gas and diesel.........Ron
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I use Rotella synthetic.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The advantages you mentioned for synthetic are true, but you missed one very important one: it flows better at cold temperature's, which means it flows better at start up than regular oil does. The cooler the temps, the more this becomes an advantage since experts agree a major portion of engine wear occurs during cold starts. Another advantage is it's cleanliness. Synthetic oil will not create sludge like a regular oil can. I have used synthetic oil since 1978, and have seen first hand it's benefits during engine tear downs.

In our truck, I use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel. I offset it's cost by doing my own oil changes. At one time, I used Amsoil, but it can be hard to find when traveling.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I am using Valvoline Premium Blue® Extreme Diesel Engine Oil and tests of the used oil have shown a positive measurable difference in wear.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I guess I'll have to look into this. Up till now I've just gone with what the dealer puts in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
whether or not you use synthetic depends on how long you plan on owning the vehicle as synthetic is more expensive. If you only plan on keeping it 3-4 years regular oil will do an adequate job and save you money. If you intend to keep it longer and put on a lot of miles then synthetic is the way to go as there is a measurable wear difference between the two. For years I used 20W-50 race oil in my race engine and on tear down there was always some wear, scuffed pistons, etc. A professional talked me into using 10W-30 synthetic,"wow this stuffs like water. Do I really want to try this?" Well let me tell you, this made a believer out of me, every time I tore that engine down it was like brand new.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We always ran Rotella 15W40 in our previous ford diesels, (two 7.3s and one 6.0) with no issues. But with the new 6.7 diesel, Ford stipulates use of Synthetic 5W40 Oil when trailering or when driving under severe conditions. So, with the new truck, using Rotella 5W40 (T6). With the tighter and tighter tolerances in the new engines, Synthetic is becoming more common. I just bought the wife a new Saburu Forester and the stipulated oil is a synthetic 0W20.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
What brand of oil are you using now? Have you always used this brand? We put 287K on our 95 7.3 without any major repairs- We have always used 15w40 Rotella and have never added oil between changes- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" has always been my credo- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

We always ran Rotella 15W40 in our previous ford diesels, (two 7.3s and one 6.0) with no issues. But with the new 6.7 diesel, Ford stipulates use of Synthetic 5W40 Oil when trailering or when driving under severe conditions. So, with the new truck, using Rotella 5W40 (T6). With the tighter and tighter tolerances in the new engines, Synthetic is becoming more common. I just bought the wife a new Saburu Forester and the stipulated oil is a synthetic 0W20.

Hopefully this is what the dealership uses, I take the truck in to them for all the maintainence.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I wouldn't count on a Dealer, most have a 55 Gal Barrel of some brand/weight and use it as part of their oil change process without regard for Race, Color, Religion, etc. Been using Mobil 1 since it's early days, now use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel
Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

I wouldn't count on a Dealer, most have a 55 Gal Barrel of some brand/weight and use it as part of their oil change process without regard for Race, Color, Religion, etc. Been using Mobil 1 since it's early days, now use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel
Exactly! A diesel engine is warrantied to 100,000 miles. Even bulk, recycled oil will get you to that mark. It's what lies beyond that mark that matters. Dealers want your issues to come after the warranty period has expired because they get far more money than from warranty repair payments. I'm not saying they do this on purpose, but there is no incentive for them using high grade oil or synthetics.

People can scoff at the extra cost of synthetic and use their Walmart $.99 a quart oil all they want, but like 8.1 Al said, I have seen first hand the inside of engines that have run synthetic vs. regular oil - including my own, and the difference is amazing. Anything I own with an engine has synthetic oil in it.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Been with ------ for years now. Haven't changed oil for three years now. Pull a sample every 7-8K and change OEM filter every 5k. Bypass filter every 15k.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #14
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks for all of the wonderful information! We are looking at different oil because the other day when we were pulling 'Bessie' up a 8,530ft 'hill' the oil temp started scooting up near to the yellow on our Banks gauages. Everything else looked good. My brother pulls trailers of all sorts, shapes, sizes all over the country and he told me to switch to synthetic to take care of that issue. We have already put the bigger transmission cooler on, the truck came with a bigger radiator, and all of the rest of the 'trailer package'. This was the last thing we weren't sure if we needed to do. Now we think it is a need!

Has anyone had any issues with switching a 2002 or similar Ford to synthetic after using traditional?

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond so thoroughly!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Thanks for all of the wonderful information! We are looking at different oil because the other day when we were pulling 'Bessie' up a 8,530ft 'hill' the oil temp started scooting up near to the yellow on our Banks gauages. Everything else looked good. My brother pulls trailers of all sorts, shapes, sizes all over the country and he told me to switch to synthetic to take care of that issue. We have already put the bigger transmission cooler on, the truck came with a bigger radiator, and all of the rest of the 'trailer package'. This was the last thing we weren't sure if we needed to do. Now we think it is a need!

Has anyone had any issues with switching a 2002 or similar Ford to synthetic after using traditional?

Before reading my answer, remember, I do my own work, so I have no labor costs....

If I was doing it, I would change the oil and filter, run the truck for 500 miles and change the filter only, and top off the oil. I would then run the truck for another 1,000 miles and again, change the filter and top off the oil. Depending on how the second filter looked after cutting it open, I would either repeat at another 1,000 miles or let it go to the next oil change.

Synthetic oil will clean out any sludge currently in your engine, and this sludge can clog your filter - hence the filter changes. Looking at the oil will not give a true indication how dirty it is, so I would cut open the filter and see if there were any signs of sludge in it. If there were, I'd do another filter change until the filter showed no sign of sludge.

Next thing to look at is the filter brand. Not all filters are created equal! Years ago, Consumers Reports did a test on them, and Delco came out on top, Fram on the bottom Since then, there have many new brands. To make a more educated guess on what to use and what to shy away from, follow this link:

http://wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfilterstudy/index.html
Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #16
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Agree, dont count on the dealer. Autoway Ford in St Petersburg argued with me when I went in for my Free Oil Change, and claimed they did not even have 5W40 in stock, and that 10W30 was what they put in the diesels. I passed on the free oil change. Called Walker Ford in Clearwater, and they knew their stuff, adamant, 5W40 was correct oil for my needs, per the owners manual.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I've used Rotella 15w40 in a pick up, and now a MH and a boat. The long haulers use it, so it's good enough for me. Although not an issue in this discussion, according to Cummins the type oil does not alter mileage/time change requirements.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

I've used Rotella 15w40 in a pick up, and now a MH and a boat. The long haulers use it, so it's good enough for me. Although not an issue in this discussion, according to Cummins the type oil does not alter mileage/time change requirements.
According to Cummins TSB #101040, for any Cummins engine models with light or normal service duty; Cummins allows an additional 5,000 mile drains when using Cummins Premium Blue & Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme.

This is also mentioned in the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme product information. I am not trying to be argumentative, but pointing out that manufacturers are starting to pay heed to some of the new oils on the market.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Before reading my answer, remember, I do my own work, so I have no labor costs....

If I was doing it, I would change the oil and filter, run the truck for 500 miles and change the filter only, and top off the oil. I would then run the truck for another 1,000 miles and again, change the filter and top off the oil. Depending on how the second filter looked after cutting it open, I would either repeat at another 1,000 miles or let it go to the next oil change.

Synthetic oil will clean out any sludge currently in your engine, and this sludge can clog your filter - hence the filter changes. Looking at the oil will not give a true indication how dirty it is, so I would cut open the filter and see if there were any signs of sludge in it. If there were, I'd do another filter change until the filter showed no sign of sludge.

Next thing to look at is the filter brand. Not all filters are created equal! Years ago, Consumers Reports did a test on them, and Delco came out on top, Fram on the bottom Since then, there have many new brands. To make a more educated guess on what to use and what to shy away from, follow this link:

http://wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfilterstudy/index.html
Thinking about switching also,, so how long between oil changes using synthetic. Thanks
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:[i]
Thinking about switching also,, so how long between oil changes using synthetic. Thanks
I don't drive that many miles any more - less than 10,000 a year, so I change mine once a year. Amsoil claims service up to 20,000+ miles for their oil, which BTW, is made from Mobil stock. If I was going to go that far, I would consider having it tested and verified.