Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A trip into Albuquerque today

Sue and I loaded the bikes on the truck and travelled the 8 or so miles into Old Town, it is much like the Old Santa Fe downtown, maybe not as ritzy. We shopped, and shopped and, well you know.
It was really interesting to talk with the people we met on the street, not so much the shopkeepers, I think people are just a blur for them, we ate lunch and spoke with our waiter at length about the town, and jewelery making. Sue likes to make it as a hobby, she bought some 'fixins' at a semi-wholesale outlet. Our waiter told us where we could go for the 'Real wholesale shop' maybe 10 miles away, we finally got there, it was called Candice. Located on Louisiana and Central street, East of Knob town.
The interesting thing about it is that most all of the street vendors are selling, or maybe I should say re-selling the, made in China, Korea, the Philippines and all points offshore jewelry they bought at Candice. When we were in there, probably a dozen American Indian buyers came in and bought hundreds of dollars worth of necklaces, bracelets, and pendants. Sue bought beautiful already made Indian-looking necklaces for $7.00 and some $18.00, she saw on the street for $45 to $65.00. And made offshore.
As a businessman, I thought this was worth bringing up.
Doesn't seem right, somehow.
Oh, we saw the WIENERMOBILE!!!!!!!!!!
We will try to hit the bike trail tomorrow, the Balloons are already flying in the mornings, early of the Balloon Festival. I feel sorry for the people who travelled here for the event, the weather is said to turn horrible Friday and Saturday, we will be off towards Sanoma.
Hope I didn't put you to sleep with this one.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...100_0002-1.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0003.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
You're right Ozz, it doesn't seem quite right, and most people would never know the difference. It really gives the legitemate craftsmen, and women, a bad name. It's kinda sad that this is happening. I suppose in this land of free enterprise though, anything is fair game.
Good pix, congratulations on finding the Weinermobile, you get the prize of the day.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sounds like you guys had another great day. The bad weather for the balloon festival is just one of those things you half way expect when you go to a balloon festival. We use to go every year here in Temucula and several years they couldn't go up because of the weather. But if you go in your RV, at least you had the pleasure of camping. And they usually do the night glow even if they can't go up in the mornings. Albuquerque is on our short list. (I hope you spelled that right 'cause I copied you!) Be sure and go to the rock slide in Sedona.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lonnie, I chased that dog around until it gave up and parked! Then the girl disappeared and I didn't get the whistle or any goodies!
(I like Nathan's anyway!)
Rock slide is now on our list. Spelling is my achilles heel, I spell them so bad, the spell checker doesn't recognize the word! I have a portable spell checker that I use with much the same results. I may stop coming to Albuq. because I just can't get the spelling....right.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 AM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Albuquerque is home!! (or was home until the Army moved me to Kansas 25 years ago). Still have family there and they always put the guilt thing to us about not moving back -- but my wife and I like the green of KS -- plus our daughter is married and lives in KC.

Oz: Hope you had a chance to go up to the Crest (Sandia Mountains just east of ABQ); the tramway is great but the drive is also very nice. Don't know if you are into fishing / boating but if you are and time allows, you need to go to one of the many lakes there. Used to recommend Elephant Butte down in Truth or Consequences (yes, renamed after the TV show (per rumors) but with the drought, it is / was at 13% of capacity last year). Regardless, some have water so clear that you can see 30 to 40 feet down -- no need for electronic fish finder, just use a glass to break the top of the water and see them with your own eyes . Oh I ramble. Good travels and enjoy!!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sky Pilot,

I used to go boating at Elephant Butte. One of the few places that had electrical hookups right on the beach. Of course that's probably no where near the water now.

Ozz - Contract delay two weeks. Guess I'll be stuck here in CO. Would have liked to help you chase the wienermobile! I think that was originally a Fleetwood Class A that didn't pan out
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:57 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Images...images, the thought of you two guys running down the street, chasing the Weinermobile..................!!
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Ozz,

If you get a chance stop by Garduño's Restaurant off 4th Street NW in ABQ and try their stuffed Sopapillas either with beef or chicken. Very Good stuff!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
No need to try to find the one on 4th street, the one up on Montgomery and Eubank is great as well (plus they have the Mariachi's on the weekends). I've not gotten bad food at Gardunio's ever. CAUTION!!!! What they consider mild -- well I grew up there and I can not handle their mild anymore -- toooooooooo HOT!!! Ask for the chili (sauce) on the side!! Good stuff though. Oh well, we've effectively hi-jacked this thread for culinary benefits (ah but dining is such sweat pleasure -- I think it was Jackie Gleason who used to say that!!).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow! We got back not too long ago from the bike trail along the Rio Grand, what a great ride!
We are bushed, and pulling out tomorrow morning for Holbrook, then Sedona. I took pictures and will answer all your nice comments and suggestions when I get Wi-Fi next.
Gottta hit the road again!! (Wish we would have had the eatery name and addresses, maybe next time!)