Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
Awning won't completely close anymore.

I can't tell if the awning has slid at one end or the other, but when I try to move it in the grooves, it will not budge.

I wonder if having it out in the heat, with only one arm tied down has stretched the fabric on the one side.

I am currently tying down the other arm, and leaving the front one alone, hoping that the tarp will stretch on this side evening up the length, and allowing it to close fully again.

Am I going about this the right way? Or should I try something else?

scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is what I wrote on another thread on this topic. The entire Thread is here:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=74324

Plus you can Search for "awning slide" to find more.

This is not terribly uncommon and is relatively easy to fix. Flapping and bouncing in the wind eventually causes the end of the awning to slide a little in the track on the roller. Then when it is retracted, it rolls up slightly crooked pulling the arms off center with the wall support bracket.

It takes me more time to figure out which way the awning has slid than to correct it. I *THINK* (don't trust this with out checking) that when rolled up, the exposed end of the awning (not covered by the rest of the rolled up material) is the part that has to be moved towards the rest of the rolled up awning mass (clear as mud eh?). Moving the awning in the slot is done by getting on a ladder on the side of the awning end which you want the material to move towards. Grab the awning material by the hanging flap and end of the material and pull towards you while bracing your body against the awning arm. A little movement is usually what is required. Roll it up and check how well it worked. Readjust as necessary. I put a felt tip marker line on the roller where the end of the material should be once it is aligned for next time.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
My back has been "thrown out" for about 4 weeks, so I finally got a chance to get up on the ladder and attempt to move this.

It did not move. The front edge, where I was pulling, slid about an inch, but the entire awning did not slide, it simply stretched from about the middle forward, remaining uneven at the rear end.

BUT!!! The awning closes now, the arms line up, and close again, so I am happy about that.

I may try again on a rainy day, and see if the rear end will move. If not, I may try a silicone-based spray lube on the rear half of the grooves.

FWIW, I have two of those screw-down de-flapper thingies that snap onto the fabric, and has two velcro loops that I can wrap around my wrists, to pull harder without putting too much pressure on the fabric. See below. They really helped get a good grip!

scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote