Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
New Rig Same Problem

Well after waiting 5 weeks for our dealership to reopen we finally picked up our new 2020 3120. After we got it home the auto leveling system would not work and by the next day nothing hydraulic would work. The dealership sent out a mechanic to manually raise the rig so I could hook up and take it in. He also had to manually bring it the large slides. They found the motor was bad, ordered one and yesterday I picked it back up. That took two weeks. When I hit auto level this time the motor would spin but none of the legs would move. It's going back in today. The batteries are fully charged 13.5 going down to 12.2 when trying to operate the system. Sometimes when trying to raise the front legs the motor runs normal for a few seconds, sometimes it barely moves and sometimes it just starts to move and clicks like a dead battery sound but the batteries are good. I also sometimes get a flickering on the panel screen. I'm thinking a short somewhere but I'll let them figure it out. Next time I pick it up I will do the auto level before I hook up. That was my mistake yesterday. Hopefully it will get fixed and we can start enjoying it.

Ralph & Nadine
Auburn, WA
2020 3120
2016 F-350

shorthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Make them change the 50A self resetting circuit breaker to an 80A breaker per Lippert bulletin.

Download the MyLCI app from Google play store. Lots of good info, TSB, manuals and troubleshooting are available on the app. Everything at your fingertips.
The LCI tech bulletin regarding this is in the App.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Thanks I'll try that. I can't even hook up today, I have 13.4 volts on the display but only get a click when I press the pad. This is what happened two weeks ago and they had to replace the motor. Now I haver to call and have them send out a mechanic so I can take it in. Luckily the dealership is only about 10 minutes from our house. We didn't get any tools or bits for manually raising the legs.

Ralph & Nadine
Auburn,WA
Old 05-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
If you can plug it into shore power it might allow the breaker to reset and get you hooked up. Our 3790RD would work okay on shore power raising and lowering or putting out slides but even with two 12V batteries it would trip the 50amp breaker everytime. I changed it to the 80amp and never had another problem. We just bought a 3120RL and are in the process of emptying and cleaning up the 3790RD to trade in. Loved the room and storage in the 3790 but don't need the room all winter in Florida now as we bought a Park Model in our park. No more towing a 42ft 5er to Florida for the winter... Looking forward to only 35ft getting into fuel stations.... Hope you have your issues straightened out for you... I'm not looking forward to all the repairs I have to do with the new unit coming but it is a necessary part of buying new rv's in this day and age. They don't make em like they used too...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Thanks for the info, I was plugged into shore power with no luck. So it seems like maybe one of three possibilities:
1. A second bad motor (what are the odds)
2. A short or bad ground in the 12V system (highly likely)
3. A bad control module (pad)

If the thunder and lightning stops I'll get it in today, otherwise Monday
Old 05-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I doubt if any of us got the 1/4" allen bit for manually moving the hydraulic landing gear or slides. They are easily sourced at ACE hardware, Lowe's Home Depot, some auto parts stores on the cheap. You'll need a good cordless drill as well as another small allen wrench to open and close the needed solenoids. I'd suggest you go to the Lippert website, download, and study the procedure to manually move your landing gear and slides so you won't have to be at the mercy of your dealer or a mobile RV tech. Many of us have practiced the procedure for those just in case moments during ownership.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I agree it sounds like a bad ground or loose connection somewhere. Panel flickering, motor overheats, solenoid clicking all sound like symptoms of the above conditions.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
That is one of the few things I prepared for. Bought the 1/4 inch hex set, a new cordless impact driver and dug out of my tool box an extra Allen set. Been reading a lot of postings on this site and trying to be ready for problems like this. Didn't want to get stuck in a campground not being able to hook up.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I doubt if any of us got the 1/4" allen bit for manually moving the hydraulic landing gear or slides. They are easily sourced at ACE hardware, Lowe's Home Depot, some auto parts stores on the cheap. You'll need a good cordless drill as well as another small allen wrench to open and close the needed solenoids. I'd suggest you go to the Lippert website, download, and study the procedure to manually move your landing gear and slides so you won't have to be at the mercy of your dealer or a mobile RV tech. Many of us have practiced the procedure for those just in case moments during ownership.
I must have yours. There were 4 of them in my blue bag this time.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yet another post that makes me think twice of ever letting go of my older/perfectly functioning 2011 Montana.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #11
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Yet another post that makes me think twice of ever letting go of my older/perfectly functioning 2011 Montana.
Had a few problems with my 2012, only minor diy on my 2017, and only 1 plus a taillight recall on my 2018.5. The Cedar Creek Champagne 2014 was nothing but problems. It took nearly 2 1/2 years to make it tradable. The difference between the 12 and 17 was huge and very nice between 17 and 19. Without a sense of adventure life is boring. 😄
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #12
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Went to the service center Thursday and watched the auto level system work, they replaced the motor, pump, and reservoir assembly all as one unit. Drove home, unhooked, and when I hit auto level I got the same error message: (Jack Timeout). I could lower and raise all the legs but not use auto level. Went to hookup the next morning and nothing worked, all I got was a click. Tried to raise the legs manually and they wouldn't move so we jacked up the front end with two floor jacks so I was able to hookup and take it back in. If they don't get it fixed correctly this time they are getting it back. Took delivery on May 11th and it's been non usable and we are coming up on a month.

Ralph & Nadine
2020 3120
Old 06-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #13
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthauler View Post
Went to the service center Thursday and watched the auto level system work, they replaced the motor, pump, and reservoir assembly all as one unit. Drove home, unhooked, and when I hit auto level I got the same error message: (Jack Timeout). I could lower and raise all the legs but not use auto level. Went to hookup the next morning and nothing worked, all I got was a click. Tried to raise the legs manually and they wouldn't move so we jacked up the front end with two floor jacks so I was able to hookup and take it back in. If they don't get it fixed correctly this time they are getting it back. Took delivery on May 11th and it's been non usable and we are coming up on a month.

Ralph & Nadine
2020 3120

Some thoughts,
When you are towing the 5th wheel do you have the level up system turned off? If you power it on then off do you get the same jack timeout error message? If you switch it into manual mode can you raise / lower the front legs?

On mine to get to manual it was a power it on then use the up/down arrows to find it.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #14
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I had similar issues when I was not hooked up to Shore power. With the batteries topped off it works great. Could you have a power problem?
Old 06-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #15
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthauler View Post

Ralph & Nadine
2020 3120
Dear Ralph and Nadine,
I want to help. I've sent you a private message.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #16
Dakotaquilter

M.O.C. #22569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Make them change the 50A self resetting circuit breaker to an 80A breaker per Lippert bulletin.

Download the MyLCI app from Google play store. Lots of good info, TSB, manuals and troubleshooting are available on the app. Everything at your fingertips.
The LCI tech bulletin regarding this is in the App.
Daryles,
I can’t seem to find the correct app, we too have had issues with auto leveling, so would like to learn more. I have downloaded the app, but can’t seem to find anything, it’s like they have changed the app, from a few years ago. If u can give me any help it would be appreciated. Sandy
Dakotaquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #17
jarnold60
Established Member

M.O.C. #24316
I had my motor go in less than 6 months. If using a drill to manually operate the motor, be sure to open the appropriate valves before doing so. The lippert manual does not tell you this. All it says is to insert the hex bit into the end of the motor and turn on the drill and that it may take a while. I ended up ruining the valves but luckily was covered under warranty when the motor was replaced.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #18
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Good advice everyone but I've done all of them and now they are telling me the 4th motor is bad and after the new one arrives and they install it they will start looking for what is causing the problem. Maybe the converter, they are thinking. When I hook up to shore power the microwave will flash like it's supposed to but when I go back inside a short while later it's not flashing so no power. The legs would go up and down with the control panel but by morning the system was dead (battery at 12.4) microwave not lit and could not even raise the jacks with a 1/4 hex and we had the valve turned (already had to use that method twice). So tomorrow will be one month since we bought it and who knows when we'll get to use it.

Ralph & Nadine
2020 3120
Old 06-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
shorthauler - did you read the PM from Mootana? He definitely can help.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #20
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Yes I did and I replied to his email, maybe someone has had this issue before but my dealer says this is a new one for them. Not real happy with a dealership that can't drive 5 miles to help hook it up after all we've been through, said they couldn't come out for 3 days. Sad customer service!