Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Yes, I run a separate extension cord out the window and to the power pedestal and plug into the 120 outlet. If that doesn't work I go to the 30 amp plug with the 120 adapter. That has always worked so far. Just need to make sure your extension cord can handle the load. These were made to plug into a house 110 line. Most home plugs are 15 amp plugs. I have not had any issues so far. You are right, they really work well.

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #22
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
kowbra ... not wanting to split hairs, and you may end up educating me in the end, but ... I think the soft start capacitors and the Coleman-Mach Powersaver series A/C's noted in the Keystone literature are two separate components that do two separate things in this new A/C system. The added soft start capacitor allows a lower amp start up ... the Coleman Mach Powersaver is a stand alone A/C that is designed to draw fewer run amps. I can't envision a soft start on it's own making any difference in running amps of an A/C. I've installed other branded soft starts in the past on my A/C's and I will agree, they do work. However ... what draws my attention the most of the Super Solar flex package is the MSRP of $19,500!!!! You obviously planned way better financially than I did when I was approaching retirement. Ha! I admire your volunteering to be our guinea pig on this system, but like a new engine in a pickup ... I personally would wait a model year or two to let the bugs shake out of the first run production units.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #23
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Running amps on both our 15K BTU units have been from 11.5 to 13 every time I've checked them. Including several times today at a steady 12.5 amps. 90 degrees with 80% humidity.

No soft start or easy start yet but coming soon. Want to make it easier on our Honda 3000.
Creeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #24
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
kowbra ... not wanting to split hairs, and you may end up educating me in the end, but ... I think the soft start capacitors and the Coleman-Mach Powersaver series A/C's noted in the Keystone literature are two separate components that do two separate things in this new A/C system. The added soft start capacitor allows a lower amp start up ... the Coleman Mach Powersaver is a stand alone A/C that is designed to draw fewer run amps. I can't envision a soft start on it's own making any difference in running amps of an A/C. I've installed other branded soft starts in the past on my A/C's and I will agree, they do work. However ... what draws my attention the most of the Super Solar flex package is the MSRP of $19,500!!!! You obviously planned way better financially than I did when I was approaching retirement. Ha! I admire your volunteering to be our guinea pig on this system, but like a new engine in a pickup ... I personally would wait a model year or two to let the bugs shake out of the first run production units.
I think I must have misstated then; I totally agree that the Super Solar must include both new higher efficiency AC units, AND that they come with soft starts, exactly as you mention. My impression was that these were newly designed units that were part of getting the go ahead to market the whole package.

And, yup I usually do wait a bit for kinks to be ironed out, so maybe I have my rosy glasses on right now that I ordered this kit. Will let you know!

As to how this might help others; if the higher efficiency AC units are being offered here, I would imagine it will be available more broadly soon. That has been an area waiting for improvement, whether for boondocking, or running on less than 50a power...

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #25
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Another note, looking at the AirXcel site those Power Saver ACs are only 13.5K not the normal 15K units
Old 08-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #26
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
McRod - We've had a Lennox mini split in our home for a couple of years. (22 SEER)

We absolutely love it! It replaced a 1.5 ton ducted heat pump in our upstairs master bedroom, bath and walk in closet. Our Electric bill dropped on average of $40 per month. We have frequent and long power outages where we live and the 115 volt mini is easy on our Honda 3000. I've measured the running amps several times and its never been above 6.5 amps. Amazing!

No heat strips of any kind and still puts out 95 degree air when its down in the teens at night.

In your shoes, I have no doubt, I would go with a mini split.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #27
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
I'm looking to add a softstart to our rear A/C unit to try it out. How do I find out what model the Dometic A/C is without climbing up and removing the cover? We have a 2017 3820FK, is there a standard type A/C that was put on? the front or main A/C unit is a different size, so I'm thinking it's a different model and output? maybe 15K vs 13K ?? I have vertigo issues from a head injury and try to limit my climbing, the DW does't like me being up there :-)
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #28
Clark Anklam
Established Member

M.O.C. #23192
Look in all your owners manuals! There should be a separate one for the ac units!
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #29
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our3820FK View Post
I'm looking to add a softstart to our rear A/C unit to try it out. How do I find out what model the Dometic A/C is without climbing up and removing the cover? We have a 2017 3820FK, is there a standard type A/C that was put on? the front or main A/C unit is a different size, so I'm thinking it's a different model and output? maybe 15K vs 13K ?? I have vertigo issues from a head injury and try to limit my climbing, the DW does't like me being up there :-)
Write down your VIN number from your RV and call Keystone customer service. They can tell you lots of details about your individual unit, including the exact type of A/C units that were installed. I asked, and they sent me the build sheet for my unit, so I now have a record everything that went into my unit. This should get you what you are looking for.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:04 AM   #30
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
The Power Saver ACs are "High Efficiency" and have the soft starts built in. It's their own design/version of the Micro Air EZ start. From everything I've seen they start between 8-13A and run at around 11.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #31
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
Added two Softstart units today, one on each A/C, wow what a difference starting them up and running. so smooth and much quieter. While installing on the rear A/C discovered a near melted wire on the cap, little device marked WSX-7 (motor starter). The RV repair guy pointed it out while he was working up there. The A/C units have been coming on and off all day now without a pause that used to happen. The front A/C would appear as though it was turning off, then suddenly start back up again. Not sure if it's related. Were so happy....
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 PM   #32
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
While the supersolar flex option is MSRP of 19,500 I'll put money on getting it for 6,000 less when ordering one from a dealer and perhaps more if you find one on a dealer lot.

A significant but not really huge battery bank with solar and hybrid I/C (what the super solar flex pkg is) running A/C means you can run A/Cs pretty much any way you want on 50amp, where as on 30 amp shore power, on genny and on 20amp or less is where the hybrid I/C shines. A hybrid means you can dial in how much battery you want to drain to feed high load items like A/Cs. With enough solar you can replenish that power each day or add in genny to help recharge the batteries daily if needed.

The minisplits are interesting and noticeably more efficient, but they have draw backs but I agree, they are the way of the future in RVs.

Soft starts are a bandaid to a vexing problem for FTers wanting to go OTG or even just boondocking from time to time. But they work well for the application according all anecdotal evidence.

JMHO.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:34 AM   #33
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our3820FK View Post
Added two Softstart units today, one on each A/C, wow what a difference starting them up and running. so smooth and much quieter. While installing on the rear A/C discovered a near melted wire on the cap, little device marked WSX-7 (motor starter). The RV repair guy pointed it out while he was working up there. The A/C units have been coming on and off all day now without a pause that used to happen. The front A/C would appear as though it was turning off, then suddenly start back up again. Not sure if it's related. Were so happy....

Glad to hear you guys are pleased. Have you tried them on Genny or Solar yet?

I have two Micro-Air Easy Starts sitting in my office waiting for install. Its 17° as I type this so it may be a day or two.
We're hoping to make things a little easier with power management when using our Honda 3000 Genny.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #34
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Besides the new Micro-Air thermostats, their soft start system has been great. Both were a definite improvement over the factory Dometic systems.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote