Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Suspension options Roadmaster vs. MORryde?

I'm definitely interested in the Kodiak disc brake upgrade, but for my suspension upgrade I was originally considering replacing my factory MORryde LRE 4000 equalizer rubber "springs" and possibly some hardware just because of age and mileage (9 yrs. old, mileage unknown for sure).
Then I would add the shock kit available from Roadmaster available on etrailer.

I do like the MORryde IS but now I'm looking at the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Leaf Spring kit: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...2460-2570.html

Still doing research, but wondering if anyone on MOC forums have done this system and what they thought of it?
Sounds pretty nice, but just wondering how much suspension travel it gives you compared to both the MORryde LRE 4000 and the MORryde IS system?

I like the idea of having the axles suspended independent of each other and the nice gas shocks included. Reviews I've read were very positive for the Roadmaster system. Seems well engineered and very robust.

Anyone replace the rubber "springs" on their MORryde LRE 4000 equalizer? Is it a DIY job and how much did it run?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice...

Old 05-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Here is my take , my previous fifth wheel had the old MorRyde LRE suspension, I replaced the rubber shear springs in it, and it vastly improved the ride. It was getting pretty bouncy ,the shear springs were shot. I thought it rode great for a leaf spring suspension .

My present fifth wheel ,and my fourth has the disc brakes ,and the comfort ride suspension, with shocks, and by far the best ride of any fifth wheel I have towed. Yes the comfort ride is well worth the money. Its still a conventional leaf spring suspension ,but its pretty smooth with those slipper springs. I can't compare to IS ,have never towed a fifth wheel with IS. IMO its good enough, not sure what more I could ask for .

On edit, the Roadmaster Comfort ride is also any easy conversion, we did the install, and it took us about 3 hours or so, not a hard install.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks for that feedback! I do like the fact that each axle is fully independent, although still tied (obviously) to the wheel on the other end of the axle unlike a fully independent suspension (e.g. the MORryde IS).

Sounds like even just the shocks that Roadmaster provides really help too...I've read some very positive reviews from folks who just did the shocks, although the results might vary depending on other factors such as what type of equalizer you have.

Think I will give MORryde a call this week and see what it costs to get a "rebuild kit" for the existing LRE equalizers and decide if I want to spend the extra money or not on the Roadmaster set up.

Definitely want the shocks either way, and still gonna do the disk brake upgrade .

Do you recall how much the new shear springs cost and is it a DIY project?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Yes ,I also did the shear springs, they were a bit of work, but not bad. Are yours cracked pretty bad. Mine were bad, plus when I got them off ,they were the wrong ones installed from the factory. They were for the 6K axles ,and mine were 7K. So that helped improve the ride a bit better. I want to say they were about $ 70 ea. The prices were all over the place. MorRyde was about in the middle on price. I will see if I can find them again, it was a bit of a search.

I had no idea how disc brakes made such a difference, but wow !! they do.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
I was curious just as kingdaddy. PSFord99, can you tell me roughly what the cost is for the Roadmaster suspension? I have the Correct Track CRE3000 on a 2016. I've had a major mishap with it last year and am looking at some other options should the need arise.
Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waricha View Post
I was curious just as kingdaddy. PSFord99, can you tell me roughly what the cost is for the Roadmaster suspension? I have the Correct Track CRE3000 on a 2016. I've had a major mishap with it last year and am looking at some other options should the need arise.
Right at $1500 for the kit if I remember. I would have to check ,but thats pretty close, plus we did the install .
Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Checking E-Trailer , the kit ,shocks ,and suspension is $1397.54 for 7K axles , and free shipping .
Old 05-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #8
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Correct, the 7k system is on sale on etrailer right now. Seems like a very good deal...

I have not verified any cracks or actual issues with the shear springs, but after 9 years and many thousands of miles including a cross country trip last year makes me want to just play it safe and not wait for problems to crop up.

On the other hand, that deal on etrailer is looking very enticing...
Old 05-17-2020, 11:47 PM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
How do you folks know you have a good or bad ride? Since no one rides in the trailer when towing, how can you tell other than finding cabinet doors open, etc?
Just curious.....

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #10
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
How do you folks know you have a good or bad ride? Since no one rides in the trailer when towing, how can you tell other than finding cabinet doors open, etc?
Just curious.....
For me its just the reaction between the truck ,and trailer ,how they respond to each other going over bridge expansions or bumpy roads. As far as just going down the road ,and how the fifth wheel is riding hitting bumps etc, I can't really tell. I can hit a bad spot in the road, and not feel anything when the fifth wheel hits the same spot.

Before I replaced the shear springs on my previous fifth wheel the trailer seemed to be working against the truck going over rough road too much bounce.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
How’s the ride?

Well.... I have to say that I bought the 5er, then the truck, then I installed the hitch and air bags, hooked up and headed for the Oregon coast. It pulled like a dream, as smooth as a baby’s behind! No chucking, porpoising, bumping, grinding, nuthin’ . It was as perfect a match on equipment and settings. I have the moryde pin box and the cre4100 suspension. I’m dreaming about the disc brakes for sure and the IS? It’s not for the faint of wallet!🇺🇸
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:19 PM   #12
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Nice setup...between the air bags, MORryde pinbox and LRE 4100 on the 5er, you should have a very nice ride.
That is basically what I had with my previous truck ('06 Ram MegaCab 2500) and trailer (mine is the older LRE4000 version).
I now tow with a Reese Goosebox and it tows very nicely, but I'm still thinking about the suspension upgrade on the Monty and for sure the disc brakes!
Old 05-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
Nice setup...between the air bags, MORryde pinbox and LRE 4100 on the 5er, you should have a very nice ride.
That is basically what I had with my previous truck ('06 Ram MegaCab 2500) and trailer (mine is the older LRE4000 version).
I now tow with a Reese Goosebox and it tows very nicely, but I'm still thinking about the suspension upgrade on the Monty and for sure the disc brakes!
I was skeptical about how my present fifth would tow compared to the old one with the MoRyde pin box, and LRE suspension , IMO there is no comparison with this setup as said before. Comfort ride ,and conventional pin box is much smoother. It surprised me ,considering its just a conventional pin box.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #14
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I was skeptical about how my present fifth would tow compared to the old one with the MoRyde pin box, and LRE suspension , IMO there is no comparison with this setup as said before. Comfort ride ,and conventional pin box is much smoother. It surprised me ,considering its just a conventional pin box.
Good info, and yes...that is surprising considering the old school pinbox!

Of course, one appealing factor is the lower cost compared to the IS setup, and the fact that I am more likely to tackle the installation myself on the Comfort Ride product (saving even more $$).

Another question, I believe I saw somewhere that there was some amount of height adjustment built into the slipper spring hanger?
Thinking I might want to raise mine up an inch or two if possible for a bit more clearance with the truck bed.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
Good info, and yes...that is surprising considering the old school pinbox!

Of course, one appealing factor is the lower cost compared to the IS setup, and the fact that I am more likely to tackle the installation myself on the Comfort Ride product (saving even more $$).

Another question, I believe I saw somewhere that there was some amount of height adjustment built into the slipper spring hanger?
Thinking I might want to raise mine up an inch or two if possible for a bit more clearance with the truck bed.
There is no height adjustment, if there is any increase in height it would be the new springs, but minimal . Also the reason for the smoothness ,and just a conventional pin box is the slipper spring setup.

I tow with basically with the same truck, although mine is the 3500 Megacab SRW not a dually. My previous truck was a Ford Superduty it sat a little lower in the back , and I was a bit more level. Yes two inches higher on the fifth wheel would put my fifth wheel pretty close to level. I am okay with it, but yes I'm slightly nose high. About the only solution I am aware of is the 2" tubing welded to the frame to increase the height on the suspension.