Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2006, 05:39 AM   #1
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Fridge

Well, here we are at 3years and 4 months and the Fridge went out. So 4 months out of warrenty. $1300 to replace Leaked all the Amonnia (sp) out and I am being told that to replace the cooling system is so expensive and desturbing to the entire system that it is a better idea to just replace the entire Fridge.
Has anyone done this kind of replacement before and is it something I might be able to do myself. I am a retired auto mechanic. Not that that means anything special or that I would have any idea how to work on this problem, just means I have some mechanical knowledge.
Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Mike

Outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mike, sorry to hear about this,

We did have a frig die, in the last TT we owned, went out at 10 years (which is rather common time frame they tell us)

We pulled out, and eventually replaced with a Lowe's regular home variety frig, 10 cubic foot, upper freezer that was huge compared to the RV kind. Note we live in Michigan, but did move the unit around in some rather warm weather and never had any spoilage. Yes, it turns off when you unplug Montana, we just figured this into the art of living in a RV. Got er cold before we put the food in, tried to NOT open the doors while we were moving around, even 8 hours it was OK, even in 90 degree weather, and yes, that surprised even us.

I miss my ole frig in the TT, that is one thing I really miss. Got so used to all that storage, and once we adjusted our thinking, well, we were happy as pigs in mud, errrrr, campers with BIG frig!

Al was able to secure from the back with strapping, it never moved and it JUST fit in the opening, slid in with just fractions of inch on either side. Seems we did something about that venting and rain, but I honestly don't remember what it was.

Cost about $250.00 vs the $1,300.00. Since we knew we would not keep the unit another 10 years, it just made financial sense to us. After we got, installed, used, We could not have been happier. Did not have to worry bout the propane being on when we drove into a gas station either.

Good luck with this. Did you call Dometic too???? Let us know what you do.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #3
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
CountryGuy, Thanks for the thoughts. We are thinking about that option too. I just frosts me to think that we(All of us RVers) are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to RV appliances, with mainly only two manufactures in the industry setting the prices Not enough compatition to make these items reasonable.
Yes I am going to call Dometic today and I will let everyone know what is said about any help they may or may not offer.

Mike
Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I am a mechanic also, and the little bit Camping World charges to install it as well as DISPOSE of the old frige is well worth it. I could do the job, but after working on equipment all week and just do not want to do the job on my day off.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
We also replaced out old frig in out other fiver. It took 4 screws in the front, disconnect the elec cord in the rear (outside portion) disconnect the propane line from the rear of the unit. Take the sliding door panels off the front, man handle the unit out into the floor. Turn it sideways to get out the door and you got it out. Reverse for installing. Easy job, takes one strong bck and a helper.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Outahere, you can get a replacement cooling unit for your fridge. Look online, they will ship you a recond. unit for around $450. They will instruct you on the install. It is not that complicated and being a mechanic, I would think you can do it.
As long as the rest of the fridge is in good shape, this is an alternative. They also guarantee the cooling unit for several years. I had one replaced by RV Cool out of Alabama.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Outahere - Ours went bad in our TT, We never boondock so to speak, always park somewhere with power. We replaced with a regular box. and had no problem for 9 years with it. It was still running fine when I traded it in for the 5th wheel and I was not not docked any on the trade in. $1300.00 for a replacement is just price gougeing... There is no way that box should run that much. The markup on the thing is about 80%. Go for a regular box and you will be just fine.
Safe travels John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, a few years ago my Dad got a rebuilt cooling unit for his fridge for a whole lot less than 1300. If I recall, it was 200 or 300. And it was easy to install. They shipped and paid for shipping his on return. It was an exchange deal. He got it from KC Home Trailer in Kansas City. I think a google search would find them. If not, email me and I'll see if I have the phone number around here somewhere. I've been in their store and have bought a number of things from them. They are either in Kansas City or one of the suburbs. Maybe Merriam. Let me know if you need help locating them. I'm not sure when I'll be back on MOC but read email as often as I can. After tomorrow it may be the middle of next week before I have email. (I guess tomorrow is here. Make that by mid-afternoon on Friday.)
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:39 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Good and sufficient advice above. I am in full agreement. I only post to add that we had that experience in our first RV, (a Prowler Regal with front living room).

We went to Tyler (Texas) RV Center because they were willing to order a 'replacement unit' for us. Our local service (Hayes RV Center in Longview, Texas would only consider an entirely new replacement in the neighborhood of $1400.) As I recall the replacement unit and installation was less than $400.

Since I am mechanically challenged, I let the people at Tyler RV Center do the installation. We got a three year warranty on that replacement unit, but traded the RV long before that.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:13 AM   #10
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Ok, folks. First I want to thank all of you for you prompt advise and help. Second, I have replaced the fridge with a "Normal" Home unit. It's a beautiful Whirlpool, with stainless steel front and the best part is that it fit in the old space, almost exactly, with only about 2 inches at the bottom for the leg levelers. I just put a screened vent cover, bought from ACE hardware accross the bottom and finished the ends with wood trim. It looks like it was supposed to be in here originally. It cools faster and better and has a lot more room than the Dometic The best part is that I could replace this one 4 times at the cost of the Dometic.
We just figured that since we are hooked up to power about 7 to 8 months of the year, we didn't need the alternate propane source. We can put dry ice in the freezer for road trips of 3-4 days without power and then stop and relax and plug in

Thanks again to all. Mike, Karen and Bella
Old 07-16-2006, 04:27 AM   #11
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Another option at this point is to determine the power consumption and use an inverter. An interter would be handy for other things as well. Like a quick hot lunch on the road useing the microwave off the batteries. You would have to increase battery capacity. And limit time between charges as a inverter with a fridge on it is likely to pull batteries fairly fast. While hooked to the TV there should not be much problem.
There is a formula to convert Watts into Amps and figure a 20% loss through the inverter and find the amp hour capacity of the battery would tell you how much time you have on battery power, more batteries the more time. I use an inverter for my computer and printer in my work truck and a 10 hour day have not had dead batteries and I only have the two batteries it come with. Also the inverter will cut out when your batteries get below 10 volts. If I look around I know I have that formula.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:09 AM   #12
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Ya, truckdoc, see if you can find that. That would be another option.
Thanks, Mike