Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I have a cheap digital flow meter on my flusher input, so I know how much water I'm putting in. Once dumped I fill it up with approx 30 gal of water and dump again and it will still look almost as bad as the first dump, so I repeat until a dump runs clear. Close the valve and add a cup or two of Dollar Store Pine Cleaner and a capful of Calgon liquid water softener and some water, Done.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #22
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
If you overfill the blank tank, aren't you going to force it out the vent through the roof and thru the backflo preventer?
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:40 PM   #23
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I use a microbial tank treatment. The microbes keep my sensors working and my system working better than it ever did when I switched from chemical treatment to microbial. It takes about a week or so to thoroughly clean my tank and sensors initially. After that its regular use with average amount if water, though I do keep a few gallons (less than 5) in the tank after I empty them. Not all these extra gallons you seem to be using, and all the detergent. IMO, it is not necessary. Don’t know if any of you have ever tried it but sure sounds easier than all the work and expense you are doing. The microbes break down solids and tp in a matter of minutes. Do your research and give it a try. All I do is add the tank treatment. Done. No sensor issues. Good luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:17 AM   #24
Mocron
Established Member

M.O.C. #23093
Any preferences of specific brands/types? Thanks.
Mocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:42 AM   #25
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Cyride beat me to it. Using a meter is the only way to truly tell how much water you are putting in the tank. Time things all you want, but without knowing the flow rate, time is irrelevant.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #26
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocron View Post
Any preferences of specific brands/types? Thanks.
These are the top three brands. I am in the process of evaluating all three to see which one I like best. Camco has worked great and used all summer. Just starting the Unique brand and so far also works great.

Tanktechrx.com, Unique digest-it, Camco sensor cleaner and tank treatment. The first one is direct from mfg. Second two can be found on Amazon and several other places. All three are liquids. Read up on the technology. You can use any TP that says it is septic tank safe. My son made a mistake and used some regular TP from home and when I emptied the tank the next day there was no trace of that TP. No stink, no solids, and no chemical smell. My sensor was totally unreliable before switching to these types of tank treatments. Now at least it works as it is supposed to, though I only trust them as a general indicator. Even when installed new they are only generally accurate. I think you will happy with your results. Happy camping.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #27
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
If you over fill the tank you will blow a seam, or pop a connection if a seamless tank.

There is a good thread here some ware about the pressure difference in the tank viruses the the size of the vent pipe. Many have done this (expensive to fix). It's recommended to dump the tank, then start the fill with a stopwatch on you phone 1.5 to no more than 2 minutes so you don't forget. I get distracted more than I used to.

I used to be intelligent beyond my years.
Now, I’m years beyond my intelligence.
-Greg L., 2010
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #28
dmodlin

M.O.C. #25258
Good information, thank you. I know someone having the same issues so hopefully this will help out. Did not know that HE really means low suds? We can learn some interesting stuff on this message board. Happy Camping all!
dmodlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #29
Mocron
Established Member

M.O.C. #23093
Thanks for the information and quick response. Will try to post feedback before long.
Mocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #30
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I use a microbial tank treatment. The microbes keep my sensors working and my system working better than it ever did when I switched from chemical treatment to microbial. It takes about a week or so to thoroughly clean my tank and sensors initially. After that its regular use with average amount if water, though I do keep a few gallons (less than 5) in the tank after I empty them. Not all these extra gallons you seem to be using, and all the detergent. IMO, it is not necessary. Don’t know if any of you have ever tried it but sure sounds easier than all the work and expense you are doing. The microbes break down solids and tp in a matter of minutes. Do your research and give it a try. All I do is add the tank treatment. Done. No sensor issues. Good luck.
interesting ..what price and who's do you buy...take a photo

i looked into that but was way too expensive ..about $47 for only 1-quart
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #31
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
If you overfill the blank tank, aren't you going to force it out the vent through the roof and thru the backflo preventer?
It is suggested that you don't go take a shave while you are filling the black tank

YUK YUK YUK
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #32
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
Quote:
Originally Posted by skootter2 View Post
Just use Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment and you won't have sensor or dumping issues. Also makes dumping nearly scentless.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Anyone know the average size of the black water tank? I have a 2019 3790RD and I'm not sure how many Gals it holds.
Bro. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #33
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Paul View Post
Anyone know the average size of the black water tank? I have a 2019 3790RD and I'm not sure how many Gals it holds.
I have a 2019 3791RD, same unit with residential fridge.Bkack water is 49 gallons and grey is 88 gallons, 2 @ 44 gallons each. Fresh is 66 gallons which includes 12 for water heater and a couple more for pipes. Probably around 50- 54 gallon tank. I got specs on Keystone website.
Just curious, did you put on a washer/dryer? I'm wondering where the washer drain is plumbed. I've been told it could be any of the three tanks, or straight out the sewer outlet. I figure since yours is the same year as mine it might be the same.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #34
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I have a cheap digital flow meter on my flusher input, so I know how much water I'm putting in. Once dumped I fill it up with approx 30 gal of water and dump again and it will still look almost as bad as the first dump, so I repeat until a dump runs clear. Close the valve and add a cup or two of Dollar Store Pine Cleaner and a capful of Calgon liquid water softener and some water, Done.
This is exactly the process I have used for several years and since our current 5er was new. Sensors have worked just fine on both rigs. The first one we bought used and the black sensor was stuck on full. After about five tank loads using the Calgon method the sensors worked again.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #35
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
Thanks for the reply. Good info. We have not put in the washer dryer yet though seriously considering it. Not sure where that water would drain but I suspect into the main gray water tank. We love our 3790 how about you? We have had a couple issues.
Bro. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #36
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I have a 2019 3791RD, same unit with residential fridge.Bkack water is 49 gallons and grey is 88 gallons, 2 @ 44 gallons each.
I believe the total grey capacity is 88 gallons. But I don't believe the two tanks have equal capacity. The shower tank sits next to the black tank and is identical in dimensions. The replacements for each is the same part. The galley tank is located above the axles, in the non-dropped frame area, and likely has less depth than the other tanks. I conclude the shower tanks is 49 gallons and the galley tank is 39 gallons. I haven't had to replace the galley tank so I don't know for sure.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #37
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks, Carl. I hadn't really had a reason to check if they were the same, I just assumed they used 2 of the same tank. That's good to know.
Bro. Paul, we love ours too! Especially the "garage" under the living room with the slide out tray. So much storage. I've had a few minor issues, the worst was the half wall behind the recliners came loose. When the tech first tried to fix it, he ran a screw through the wire that feeds the outlet behind the recliners. It also feeds the fireplace and outlets on each side of the TV. They wanted to send it back to Elkhart for that fix since the outside walls are pre-built and vacuum sealed. Fortunately, it wasn't necessary. Oh, had no brakes on the right rear wheel. The wires were twisted around the axle and broken off. Found that when I did bearing repack a few months ago. Dexter took care of the parts bill.
Thanks to the forum, I've already caught several things that would have become issues like the vacuum breaker for the black tank flush under the bathroom sink. It leaked a little until I just removed it.
Still have a nagging issue with the AC thermostats. I'll likely replace them next spring with the Micro-Air Easy Touch ones. The Dometic ones just don't work right and, so far, the Micro-Air replacements are the only fix. Too bad they are $250 each.