Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Long term storage

We are planning to store our Monty for 18 months inside a commercial underground storage area, that is naturally climate controlled. This is an old mine (pillar and room), so we won't have to worry about sun fade or any weather issues. It is also patrolled and gated by security agents.
What, besides turning off the battery connect, would be things that we should do to ensure that we won't have much to do when we remove it from storage? We won't have power for a trickle charger to keep the batteries charged, so probably will have to replace the batteries upon removing from storage.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Drain and clean the hot water heater tank. Store the anode (if equipped) elsewhere and cover the opening with a screen material to prevent things from crawling inside. This should keep the WH clean and fresh.

Remove the batteries and take them home to trickle charge and keep them conditioned. The batteries should be good for several years, so it seems a waste to think of replacing them every time you store.

Prop the fridge/freezer doors open to keep them aired out (there are also all kinds of aftermarket prop devices that will work.

Remove the batteries from remotes, clocks, maybe even teh CO2 alarm etc. so over time they do not corrude and mess up wherever they are installed. the propane alarm is usually hardwired to the 12V batteries which you have removed.

I wouldn't do this but does anyone have any ideas for deodorants or things like that to keep things smelling fresh (or else, you don't do this to help identify a problem area). Your choice. The black tank is the only thing where I add deodorizer solution.

It would be best to have empty propane tanks but at least make sure the propane tanks are shut off and all propane controlled items are shut off.

Shut off all circuit breakers just to ensure they stay off, unless you have an alarm, then that's the only circuit to keep alive.

I have heard that while the trailer is sitting one should overinflate the tires to prevent flatspotting or remove all the tires and uses proper capacity jacks to prop up the trailer. Then the tires will have to be stored somewhere (there is a wrap for doing this and they should be stored on their side). Hopefully, LonnieB can pipe in here if this is necessary.

This is a start. Others should have more ideas.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We left ours under a shed roof for 2 years while we were out of the country. We did a lot of the things Art suggests. We did exterminate it just prior to leaving, spraying inside and out. On returning, we spent a week moving in and checking all systems. Finally, did a wash and wax job on it and were good to go.

What you described should be an ideal site to store a unit for a protracted period. Vermin control and dampness may be you only issues. Dampness is a real enemy of RV's. With your climate control, that may be a non-issue.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Agree with Art and Stiles...you did not say if you will be able to check on your unit periodically. If you can't, perhaps someone could do it for you. Would recommend keeping some water in the toilet bowl to keep the flush seals "wet." Damp Rid offers some products that might be useful in keeping the inside of your unit smelling fresh...but these would probably need to be changed occasionally. Definitely agree with Stiles on the need for a full system check before travelling with your unit...good luck.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Thanks gang,
I knew someone would have done this same thing. We will be able to "check" on the rig from time to time. Once stored, they won't actually bring the rig out to the sunlight until we are ready to move on. They will transport us into the rig, just in case we forgot to take something out that we couldn't buy otherwise. I don't know what that could be, since we have lived in a 5th wheel for going on 6 years now.
The fumigation would be the only real problem, since it is open air with I think fans going full time for humidity control. We will take a moment to set a bug bomb inside to fumigate the inside and hopefully create a barrier for critters. I'll fill the toilet to enable the seal to stay moist. I wondered also about using antifreeze in the toilet bowl because it wouldn't evaporate as quickly.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I would also use a mix of auto antifreeze so it does not evaporate like you have said. I would fill the traps too to keep the odor out from the tanks. As long as it is not going to freeze I would put about 5 gallons of water in the tanks with a heavy dose of your favorite treatment.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve-- Jim Collins(jimcol) from KC, MO stores his down there in the caves there! You might drop him a line on either the email or PM here on MOC and see what he suggests. I store my Monte outside here in Nebraska and it does get way below freezing here in the winter and I just put the regular RV Pink Stuff in the traps, the lines and in the stool and have had no problem with it or evaporation of it over the whole winter here. I just checked mine yesterday and the pink stuff is still in the stool and at the same level when I put it in last November. Hopefully, Jim will jump in here and give you his take on the storage. If not drop him a line!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Thanks for your suggestions. I don't know how to locate someone online here on the MOC. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve-- I sent you a PM! Watch for a message under Private Message in the upper right hand corner and click on Private Message it will then route you to the PM inbox and click on it to read!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Rondo, I sent Jim a PM, after the email I sent him bounced. I've not heard from him yet, but will wait. We are in Independence, next to KC Mo. and think that his storage spot is most likely the same. We have made arrangements for Saturday the 16th, will be the day we deliver it to storage, and would have liked to find out from him any drawbacks.
Thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Steve, Been out of touch for a while but have since responded to your e-mails. The mines in this area are naturally climate controlled as far as temperture goes but humidity is a real problem. Most of the mines that sell storage space run pretty sophisticated dehumidifier systems. I know the place I store mine does. Have stored for up to 6 months and it comes out as fresh and dry as when I put it in storage. I have afriend who stored a boat in a mine with no dehumidifiers and he finally had to sell the boat to get rid of the mold issues. You might check with your storage facility to make sure how they are controling humidity but I'm sure they have a system. I don't know anyone who stores their unit where you are going but I do know they have a pretty good reputation in the area. Jim