Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
print6800

M.O.C. #9754
Do any of you regret buying too big of a rig?

We are basically new to the RV world. We owned a popup and then a 16'TT, each for a couple of years, back about 15 years ago. Since then nothing until about two months ago. We then went crazy and bought a 2010, 3400RL and a 2010, F-350 PSD.

Due to the Michigan winters we won't be taking our first trip until March. The closer the March trip gets, the more I wonder if we bought too big of a rig. It seemed that everyone we talked to before buying our rig said, go big or you'll be buying bigger in a year or two. So we went what seems very BIG. We love the space and layout of 3400RL. However, we plan on moving around a great deal.
We probably won't spend more than two or three nights in any one place. This year only about two months of travel, next year more like four or five months.

After reading many of the online forums, I'm beginning to second guess myself on our decision to go so big. This is due to the amount of moving around we plan on doing. Dumb time to ask, but my question is this, do any of you regret buying too big of a rig? Has anyone downsized from a large rig?

BTW, Great forum!

print6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
First....Welcome to the MOC family.

Second...If anything, I wish we had bought bigger.

I believe you will find it very easy to move from place to place, even if you do it as frequently as you are planning.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We went big 10 years ago and haven't been sorry. Of course, we went big then because we knew we were going to live in it full time. It's really better to be comfortable than to have to go bigger in a couple years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Practice, practice and more practice will make moving and parking the rig. If you are planning on just state parks then it can get tight.
We upgraded three times till we got here.
Don't worry about and or ask the question again for a year then you can evaluate. Good luck and enjoy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Welcome to the forum; and make sure you feel free to ask questions and help out others with any area you may have expertise in.
We jumped from many years of a 9 1/5 foot camper, as we had to pull a car hauler to show antique tractors. When we took posession of the new 3400RL as of last May, this was a huge jump in living space size. Have used the Monty throughout last summer and are now in Yuma as snowbirds. So far we love the size and getting from point to point has been no problem and setting up is easy. We have been in some pretty tight spots without any frustration. So far a great rig to live in while away from home!! We would not reduce the size under any circumstance.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Went from a 30' SOB TT to a 38' fiver this time last year, and absolutely no regrets.

Two down sides:
- Some locations won't be able to accommodate your rig, including some national and state parks and NFS campgrounds.
- It's a little more difficult to maneuver in some tight spaces including some campground roads, fuel stations and city streets.

BUT you'll quickly learn what you can do comfortably.

Enjoy the new 'Tana!
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
5TH wheel to big and truck has to much HP. OK where can I get These. I will start looking tomorrow LOL. you will love the rv and it will get easy to move and park after a few trips. dont worry be happy. every day is special.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Ours Monty is a bit smaller than yours, and we love it, but some times it is to big. Size is not a problem moving the main problem we have is it limits some of the campsites and even campgrounds you can get in.
A side from that you'll love the floor plan.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have camped in some form or the other since before I was old enough to remember, but never in a camper of any kind, just tents or even sleeping under the stars. Basically the same for my wife although her family was mostly into tents.
But we decided to get a trailer as we neared retirement. After shopping for a year to make sure what we wanted and finally decided on the specific model, we bought a 3075RL at about 34'. I was looking for the shortest model I could find that had 3 slides. Have been very pleased with it using it between 30-40 days a year.
Knowing what I know now, I would probably have bought a slightly longer model, even though we really don't need any more room.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Were happy with our 2980RL we dont full time but it is the rig Georgia wanted and she wouldnt have any thing else .
Enjoy your beautiful RV.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
As far as size we have a 2955 which is much smaller than your's but bigger than anything we have had. We get bigger envy every now and then so you will love the room and size. Now... our first trip out with our new 2955 we went to Cape May NJ and called ahead to make sure they had a site to fit our RV. The lady assured us we would have no trouble. When we pulled up to the entrance it was tight to make the turn into the campground. 1st warning sign... It did not get better. We never got to our site as the more we went into the campground the tighter it got, branches scratching the sides and no way out. No matter the size of the RV comman sense will prevail. If you are doubt park it and walk in. After 1.5 hrs of turning and twisting we escaped. We now laugh and call it the campground from h#&l, but we survived with only a few buffed out scratches. I am sure we are not the only ones that have ever been in a tight spot but for your first few trips out take it from us make sure the campground is wide open while you are getting use to parking. Pull throughs are great! You'll love it and like the rest said you will enjoy the extra room. The longer you camp the smaller the unit gets. Welcome!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Bigger is better. I've regretted not getting the Montana 3500rl since the 1st year I had my Mountaineer 348RL. I'd love that extra slide and bigger storeage. Our longest trips are 3 weeks and I like being comfortable, even for a weekend. Montanas tow easy and practice makes perfect. Relax and enjoy your rig. If you find its too big after all, let me know, I'll gladly trade with you. God Bless, Ray
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Welcome to the forum. We love our Monty and wouldn't trade down for anything. We ask the campgrounds for their big rig sites and haven't had problems so far. As H John Kohl said," practice, practice, practice". After you live in it a bit, you'll be happy that you got what you did.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
When we bought our trailer (32') three years ago it seemed huge. Now my wife is looking at a 3400. It is longer and has more slides than our current trailer. We live in it about 8 to 9 months a year. I knew this was going to happen so when we bought a newer truck last summer we bought a one ton.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Is bigger better? That has been a "large" question for centuries!!

Yes, in my opinion. Our first "big" rig was a 3400RL, and now the SOB is 40' (talk about a bus!). If you have not had much experience driving long trailers or big rigs, just take your time, and I really mean "do it slow." Making turns, and backing to fast are probably the most notable errors that are made. I call it, "getting in a hurry." But that includes setting up, tearing down, and driving. Remember that where you are going is more important then where you have been, and that applies to backing up or just driving down the highway. Be always vigilant and observant of everything around you. One of the items on the CDL licensing test was told to me by the inspector when he got in the vehicle. "I'll be watching to see how many times you glance in your mirrors." That is part of the observations we have to undertake to be aware of our surroundings at all times. As John stated, practice, practice, and then practice some more. Much of your practice will be on-the road, but you can go to a nice big parking lot somewhere and back it up between the lines, and make turns without crossing the "center" stripe.

In the past couple years with "big" rigs, I have only been told once that I was to big for their campground. I have not stayed at Federal or State parks, but I have been told, and noticed on some web sites, that they do not accept big rigs. Most likely because they were designed when rigs were only 25' or so long.

Take it easy, and good luck. You'll be happy buying big.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Ditto most of the above! We started pulling a pop up in 1974, and had one continuously until November of 2008, when we traded WAY up to our 38 footer. We love the lay out, we love the storage, we love the handling (after several trips and a lot of practice!). We do miss a couple of camp grounds that we used to frequent, as we just cannot get in. And there are others that are very tight, and take some creative backing and a remote back up camera. We still use predominantly state parks, and yes they can be tricky, but all in all for us, bigger is better. Give it some time and patience and see what you think!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #17
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
No. Enjoy your new rig. We started out in a tent when the boys were little now were about as big as you can get, finally retired and using rig alot more. Enjoy all your elbow room.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #18
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Last March we moved up to the 3400RL from a 30' SOB. Spent about 35 nights in it in 2009. The extra space made all the difference in the world. Already we have a trip planned for the entire month of June. Could not imagine being in a smaller unit. Just plan ahead and ask for the larger sites. Looks like you have enough truck, so enjoy!
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #19
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
This is our second Montana and we moved up each time and if they come out with a bigger one we will move up again. After you pull for a bit you will find that it is not a problem handling that unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #20
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We bought our first rig in 2006. My said--get it big so we don't have to get another one next year! We did with the 3475RL--38 feet and we love it. Probably pulled it 20,000 miles (included trip to Alaska and back) over the past 4 years. We are not looking for anything bigger. In fact, we think the newer rigs have less storage space than ours. Enjoy the Forum!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote