Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Slide Locks

I heard about these on another list and wanted to know what the "experts" thought!

Slide locks - designed to stabilize your slides while you travel down the road.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...slide-lock.htm

From what I can gather, you extend them when you have the slides pulled in to prevent those slides from moving around when you are driving. They are supposed to prevent the slides from going out of alignment. This is supposed to reduce the number of adjustments needed.

Has anyone used these? Do you see any real need for them? Would the fascia hold as they say? Would Keystone be unhappy that you used these (warranty issues)?

Thanks, Lynne

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Ooohhhhhhh ... I'd hate to forget one was installed and try to extend a slide!!
I've only had one occasion (so far) where any slide has moved from the stowed position and that was only by about 1-2 inches. I caught it right away and haven't had an issue since. It's even possible I didn't retract it all the way originally. Others may have had different experiences.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine have never moved going down the road in nearly 11,000 miles. I have read so very little about it on the various forums, I don't think it is a problem to be concerned about, at least on our Montanas.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never a issue in 5 years and many miles...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
My brother-in-law has a 25-foot travel trailer with a single living-room slide. He uses 3 slide-locks when he travels with it. One on top and one on each side of the slide.

With 2 different Montanas and a combined mileage pushing 50K, I have never had a problem with my slides. As long as I run the pump until I hear it beginning to strain, I have no doubt that the slides are all the way in and will stay that way.

I also would "BE VERY AFRAID" that I would forget one of the locks and really do some damage. With my occasional CRS, that is a high probability.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sorry, I'm no expert, but I'm gonna reply anyway - I hope you don't mind.

I wonder if the contact points don't punch a hole in anything over time. I kinda put these down there with slideout jacks, the ones you put under a slideout to prevent sag, and way less important than a bedsaver. If you like more time to setup or breakdown your already long time to setup or breakdown and you have money to spare, then by all means it's your time and your choice. But for me things like these might cause more problems than I'm trying to prevent. Maybe that's why I'll never make expert.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Our previous SOB came with slide locks. They were designed in such a way that if you moved the slide out while they were still in place they would bend & break before anything else did. They appeared to be nothing more than an aluminum drapery rod with a rubber tip on each end.

I think I probably broke them both within a couple of months and didn't replace them. Never had a problem with slides moving on their own without them.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We've put many many miles on our TT and never had any of the slides move while traveling.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
3 different fivers over the past five years and never a problem for us.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Thanks to everyone! That pretty much answers the question! I wasn't going to encourage Walt to buy them, I was just wondering about them. It seems we have many more important and necessary things to have on our Wish List. These don't make it at all.

Now, I think we will focus on slide toppers. That seems to be a top priority.

Best - Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote