Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Lafayette, LA

Had some great suggestions from my MOC Brother and Sisters so far on campgrounds across the Southwest so here's another request: Who has stayed around Lafayette, LA and where have you stayed? We'll be heading out later this week for there from Houston and will be taking I-10 across. Any suggestions on campgrounds in the Lafayette area? We'd like full hookups and prefer pullthrus but that is not a must. Just want someplace we can have some space and enjoy the country around there too. We will more than likely make day trips out of there to New Orleans and also the Tabasco and other hot sauce manufacturing areas. Any suggestions on places to eat? How about other places to see? Thanks in advance!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ron, we stayed in New Iberia area. Campground was fine, but, oooo, laaa laaa, 90 going NORTH to I 10 was some of the worst road we have ever been on, there were a couple of miles that were unbelievable.

Just that heads up. You should not have to deal with it unless you drive down there to stay with the unit and tow back up to I 10.

Liked Tabasco visit. Fun stuff and a geocache right there on the property.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We too suffered on the washboard highway. KOA for us, it was just OK. Weekends brought a rowdy crowd, but nice Peeps. We went into town to a bar/eatery that had a Cajun band, guy playing a banjo barefoot. A wonderful night we talk about all the time, loved it.
The McIlhenny Tabasco plant was amazing, did you know that red stick they carry in the fields to see if the peppers are ripe is called a Baton Rouge.. the same as the city up the way. Means 'red stick'
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Had some great suggestions from my MOC Brother and Sisters so far on campgrounds across the Southwest so here's another request: Who has stayed around Lafayette, LA and where have you stayed? We'll be heading out later this week for there from Houston and will be taking I-10 across. Any suggestions on campgrounds in the Lafayette area? We'd like full hookups and prefer pullthrus but that is not a must. Just want someplace we can have some space and enjoy the country around there too. We will more than likely make day trips out of there to New Orleans and also the Tabasco and other hot sauce manufacturing areas. Any suggestions on places to eat? How about other places to see? Thanks in advance!
http://www.cajunpalms.com/

We stayed here in November 2012. Really nice! Will do again.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I agree with Mynabird, Cajun Palms is a nice place. It is approx. 1 mile of I-10 in Henderson or 8 miles east of Lafayette. While you are there, stop at Landry's for lunch or dinner, they have great food and are located at the exit to Cajun Palms.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ron,
Cajun Palms is my westward stopover choice.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #7
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kylec2

I agree with Mynabird, Cajun Palms is a nice place. It is approx. 1 mile of I-10 in Henderson or 8 miles east of Lafayette. While you are there, stop at Landry's for lunch or dinner, they have great food and are located at the exit to Cajun Palms.
Ahhhhhhh.....yes.....THE FOOD!!! Right there at the entrance/exit..... Oh, my!!! There are no words!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks gang! I'll be calling Cajun Palms this afternoon to get reservations for a few days.

Paul and Jan (jpkelpe) will be meeting us there and we'll convoy back to the Cornhusker State together when we get done exploring and eating all that good cajun food!

Myna what's the name of the eating establishment outside the gate! Sound good to me! Ozz do you remember your establishments name?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #9
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Ron, if you are there on the next two weekends, it looks like you may encounter one of their cajun music festivals. The park get's very busy, so reservations are a must. Another place to eat (cajun) and very authentic is called Pat's on the Wharf. It's about 10 miles from the park in Henderson and located right on the bayou. I was their last year and remember sitting on their deck, eating bugs( local term for crawdads), gumbo, and drinking a cold beer. Food was great, especially the Gumbo. The next day I toured the surrounding area and found a frog leg cooking contest a little further south on the same road (Henderson Levee Rd). Very Fun.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ron,
I belive Landry's is a chain. When in cajun country you should search out the hole in the walls with good music and food. Forgot, and always suck the head.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:

Thanks gang! I'll be calling Cajun Palms this afternoon to get reservations for a few days.

Paul and Jan (jpkelpe) will be meeting us there and we'll convoy back to the Cornhusker State together when we get done exploring and eating all that good cajun food!

Myna what's the name of the eating establishment outside the gate! Sound good to me! Ozz do you remember your establishments name?
Ron, when you drive into the campground it just past there next entry to the parking lot! When you get there you will understand. So coming out of exit of cg turn right and you will see lots of ads. There is only one restaurant and a market. Market is NOT the restaurant. BTW...we ordered take out first night. Then went back next day! Took our friends who live in Lafayette for 20 years and they had never been there! But, they said they WOULD return!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:

Found it! http://www.crawfishtownusa.com/. Crawfish Town USA!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well we're booked into Cajun Palms for a few days and will be meeting Paul and Jan there to enjoy a little cajun food and entertainment while we are there too. Will make a trip to Avery Island and surrounding areas to get into the real spirit of the area. Will enjoy the food but Mary says no crawfish for her, she will stick to the other foods in the area!
If anyone else is in the area come on down and join us! They said they have plenty of spaces left!! We'll be there from the 12-15th and Jan and Paul will be there from the 13-15th but we may both extend for over the weekend just to get more into the cajun spirit! Yu'all come now----hear?!?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wish we were close, we would be there. Have fun!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:

Well we're booked into Cajun Palms for a few days and will be meeting Paul and Jan there to enjoy a little cajun food and entertainment while we are there too. Will make a trip to Avery Island and surrounding areas to get into the real spirit of the area. Will enjoy the food but Mary says no crawfish for her, she will stick to the other foods in the area!
If anyone else is in the area come on down and join us! They said they have plenty of spaces left!! We'll be there from the 12-15th and Jan and Paul will be there from the 13-15th but we may both extend for over the weekend just to get more into the cajun spirit! Yu'all come now----hear?!?
You will not be sorry if you extend! Just make sure you get a site "long" enough for you both! It will be just a bit more enjoyable! I think there also, is some site-seeing "stuff" just north of where you will be staying, if my memory serves me right!. Enjoy!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
UPDATE!!!!---- Just called back to Omaha and they have 3-5" of the pretty white stuff on the ground and expecting another 3-5" tonight and tomarrow! Problem is they have ICE under that snow and they have closed down both I-29 in Iowa and I-80 in Nebraska to ALL traffic until further notice.

NOPE NOT HEADING UP THERE YET!!! Going to do more exploring in Lafayette and points north, south, east and west of there!

Cajun Country here we come!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Montana_10714
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10714
I-10 Info please.

Heading to Destin in July from Dallas. First time driving/towing the 5er.
Was planning to go I10 from Louisiana across -
Now I am hearing about the "WASH BOARD" highway -
Should I plan using I20 instead.

Thanks
Montana_10714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe sending you an email! It will be to long to put here on MOC.