Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Day/Night shades

I know this has been discussed before, but what do you use instead of the day/night shades. We have had the dining room shade replaced once already and it needs to be replaced again. Today the bedroom shade popped out at the bottom of the night shade and it is all askew. I have to take the frame apart just to get into the valance so I can take it off, so I can take the shade off. Karen doesn't like venetian blinds, so I need some ideas as to what I can use.

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Hey Gary, I'm glad were not the only one to have problems with them shades, The one over the dining room table is the hardest one to get open, you have to raise them up perfectly level or they slide out on one end. I almost have to lay on the table. They sure are nice when they work properly.( now every one close your eyes and picture me and my big belly lying across the table, does any one know how much weight it hold?)Ha Ha
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I know your pain, we have had two shades replaced. I found that a drop of GOOP glue,which can be found in any hardware store, stops those ends from coming out.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:42 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Five years of full timing and we've never replaced any. I've restrung three, however. We've never had any that came apart as some have described.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
I found that what Ken mentioned works very well.
I went around and epoxyed all of the end caps into place on the bottom of the shades. Now there is no way that the shade can slide out of the track it is in. So far it works very well.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #6
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
Orv,
What did you use for replacement string? I have 4 shades to restring and I am wondering what to use for replacement string. I am also wondering if one uses epoxy to glue the end caps on how would one be able to restring? I think you have to remove the end caps to do that. Any advice on restringing would be most helpful
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hamcamper

Orv,
What did you use for replacement string? I have 4 shades to restring and I am wondering what to use for replacement string. I am also wondering if one uses epoxy to glue the end caps on how would one be able to restring? I think you have to remove the end caps to do that. Any advice on restringing would be most helpful
Hamcamper:
If you look on the bottom of the shades you'll find the name of the company that makes them: Specialty Window Coverings, phone number 574-262-5190. They will provide you with instructions and enough cord to restring all your shades that are broken. They are very nice people and won't charge you anything. They'll ask you what color you want and then send it to you. I was really impressed when I called them and asked them if I could buy the material and they told me, "No Charge." I received the cord with new locking mechanisms (which really work good--my unit is 5 years old and had old locking mechanisms).

Good luck. I'm sure you won't have any problem restringing the shades. The directions and pictures are very clear.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A spot of glue stopped them from popping out for us, too. I remember how frustrating that was. Haven't had one come out in two years or so now.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:11 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We put small screw in the ends. Simular to a set screw. It holds them in place but can be removed when necessary.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:47 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had one on our Terry TT over the kitchen table that our Cock-a-too destroyed, they have very strong beaks. We got a replacement at Home depot that was a perfect match and about 1/3 the cost of a "camper" replacement. Think I had to drill little holes in the end caps so they would secure.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you glue the end caps on, what will you do if you have to restring the shades? We've never had a serious problem with the end caps coming off. When they have come off, I just reinsert them.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used a single drop of glue on the end caps. I have not had to try it but I think it would pry off without a lot of difficulty yet holds the cap in place when moving the shades. Someday I'll see if it will pry off.

Gary, you should be able to remove the valances without dismantling the shades. We've done that two winters to install film over the windows. Each valance should have two screws (same square drive as for other rv screws). Those screws going into a wall will be on L brackets. Find the brackets and you find the screws. Those going into a cabinet will not have the L bracket. This is the way it is on ours. Some are a tight fit for a screwdriver but I was able to remove all ours with a standard square head screwdriver.

The top bar of the shade can then be removed from its bracket.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Hi Steve,

I've had the pleasure(?) of taking off the valance in the dining room to replace the first shade that went bad. Same day I hung the new one, it also ripped when the cap fell off. I was wondering about the bedroom cause my hands didn't look like they would fit into that little frame to get the screws out, but at least I won't have to be a contortionist to get to them. Thanks for the info!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Were you able to get the valances off in the bedroom? We didn't attempt that but just put foamboard between curtain and window for insulation.