Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
Send a message via AIM to leasurejf
Dometic Americana AC/LP Refrigerator

We have a 2003 Model 2955. Our refrigerator just quick working! Are there any easy tests that can be done to troubleshoot the problem? I tried switching it to the gas mode; the burner lights, but no cooling! Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim

Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
How long has it been on gas? it takes a while to cool down. feel your freezer coils to see if they are cooling down. does your control panel work? these things are not to fast
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If it was not in operation and you started it and found it not working , you might check the flu pipe for obstructions, spider webbs are enough to cause failure, dirt daubers, wasps, even byrd's nests in roof vent. Just a suggestion. If it was in operation and stopped, turn it off for 24 hrs and restart. Use gas first as they work better on gas. I know you probably already know this, but it must be near level to work properly. Good luck, Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
It was running just fine. We are getting ready to head south for the winter. The only thing I did was disconnect the power cord and put a weatherproof cover on it. Plugged it back in. Did not thing to turn off the refer before doing so, but that hadn't been a problem in the past... just switched to gas automatically. I heard that critters can cause problems, but did not know about turning off the power for an extended period of time and restarting. I'll see if I have critter issues first. If not, will recycle the power as suggested. Thanks, Jim
Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 AM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Lost my refer last year. Turned out to be the cooling unit.
Things to check:
1. Curcuit Breaker in breaker box
2. Pull the cover outside make sure the plug for the refer is plugged in
3. There are 3 or 4 fuse in thhis area also. Some are behind the black panel on the left of the compartment.
4. Could be the curcit has gone bad.
5. Spiders in the burner tude. Small brush to clear them out and a little blast of air.
6. If the burner lites, another problem could be the cooling unit, if you are looking in the outside compartment, I believe that to the left side and looking up you will see the unit. There is a larger tube, the tube should be warm to the touch, if cold could be the cooling unit has failed. The cooling unit could be replaced. But like the repair man that checked mine siad that it could work for another ten year or fail sooner, as it was just going to be a rebuilt part. Lucky I had extended warranty and it cover for a whole new refer. I did notice the closer the unit came to failing the refer took much longer to cool down.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
It sounds like one of the fuses mentioned above. I had a similar problem a short time after having repair work done and it was the in line fuse. If you have trouble finding it I'm sure you can search the archives for a better explanation as I think I posted it after trouble shooting my problem.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
Appreciate all the inputs. Turns out I have a bad core (cooling unit?). There were signs of zinc-chromate around the burner tube. As Greg said, the cooing unit could be replaced, but for a few more $, you can get a brand new refer. We opted for replacing the entire unit. Thanks again for all the inputs, Jim
Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
retired523
Established Member

M.O.C. #11028
Our frig cooling unit went out a month ago. We have a 2011 3400RL that is still under warranty, thank goodness. We've also gone through a tire blow-out on the highway and immediately had all those made in China tires replaced.
retired523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
Ouch! A brand new rig! Our original refer had a 3-year mfg warranty. The new one only 2-year ( but it is made in USA). Glad to hear the warranty is taking care of your problems. Sure would be nice if we could get back to most everything saying "Made in USA".