Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
rksolid
Established Member

M.O.C. #26214
Washer Dryer

How practical are the washer dryer combo ? We're looking at a 294rl for camping and snow birding in a few years. Due to it's size I would rather use the area for hanging clothes.

rksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
do a search on the forum, many agree that the stackable or separate units are the better option, and you want vented.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
For years wife did not want a washer/dryer because she needed the space. Four years ago she changed her mind, I installed a Splendide washer/dryer (vented) in the pre-plumbed closet. Lost half of the closet storage, but how easy it was to recover from the space lost. The washer/dryer has worked trouble free thru those four years including 3 six month snowbird seasons in Florida. Downside, loads are small, take a good 80 minutes to cycle thru, and clothes often come out a bit wrinkled although there are tricks to minimize that. Can be a bit noisy in the high spin cycle. Upside, every couple of days, throw your wash in and walk away. No trips to the laundrymat. We are glad we have the setup. Not good for folks who do a significant amount of drycamping, as it dumps into (our case) one of the gray tanks, so no good without sewer hookups.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We had the vented combo installed when we bought new in 2007 and wife loves it. Yes, the loads are small. But she puts in a load of laundry, sets it to wash and dry, and we go about whatever our plans are and come back later to a clean dry load of laundry. And repeat if necessary. No need to sit around waiting for it to finish. Many RV parks have pretty nice laundry facilities. Some are much less than inviting. And in many cases simply inconvenient.

Regarding the sewer statement. Some units have the washer drain plumbed into the grey tank. Some have them plumbed directly to the sewer drain pipe. And some have reported them plumbed to the black tank!! Seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
grass man
Established Member

M.O.C. #24971
I have the Splendid stack unit VENTED in my 3931. Did not realize how much we both would love it until we began packing up to go home after a week and we had no dirty clothes to pack up and carry home. We are at the RV 5 days a week and home only 2 so I just leave my clothes there now.
grass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Back when I got my first trailer in 2006, I researched washer/dryers. Back then from what I could find online, a sheet would take all day to wash and dry. I think maybe most washers were not vented from what I could find.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
grass man
Established Member

M.O.C. #24971
I wash a load in 30 minutes and dry time is between 60 and 90 minutes depending on type of clothing.
grass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Our first short season Snow Birding, we ordered a Vented Combo unit on our way home after having several articles of clothing being ruined by something left in the Campground laundry room machine.
That was 10 years ago.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #9
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I'm looking on installing a Splendid 2100xc as soon as I get it back from the dealer, I'm planning on doing it myself. When the dealer told me to install just the vent kit, just to drill the 4" hole and install the vent for it, well they told me it would cost $380 plus tax, no way.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatacus View Post
I'm looking on installing a Splendid 2100xc as soon as I get it back from the dealer, I'm planning on doing it myself. When the dealer told me to install just the vent kit, just to drill the 4" hole and install the vent for it, well they told me it would cost $380 plus tax, no way.
There have been a number here who have installed their own. But if you have a label that says something to the effect of drill vent hole here, don't believe it without checking carefully first. You would not be the first to drill there and find a wall stud. And make sure the outside wall is clear of any trim or other also.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #11
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
There have been a number here who have installed their own. But if you have a label that says something to the effect of drill vent hole here, don't believe it without checking carefully first. You would not be the first to drill there and find a wall stud. And make sure the outside wall is clear of any trim or other also.
Yes sir, I do have that sticker there and yes I have seen a lot of YouTube videos where people did that very same thing.

I'm planning on using a stud finder and if I can go out in the morning to look on the outside, it will show the studs on the outside.

I also email CS to have them to send me a diagrams to show me were all of the studs are at and even all of that I will still use a deep stud finder.

What's the saying, measure twice drill once, I made the mistake once and drill a hole through my fiver so I don't want to do that again. Be safe.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #12
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksolid View Post
How practical are the washer dryer combo ? We're looking at a 294rl for camping and snow birding in a few years. Due to it's size I would rather use the area for hanging clothes.
We had a combo unit and had friends that had the same and they were the biggest headache's in the rv's. They won't dry at all and most of the time you can not get all the water out of your garment's. So if you don't have room I would just do a washer and dry you clothes with campground equipment. we done that.....

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The secret with an RV washer is "Keep the loads Small". Had a combo in our Monty and 1st SOB and never a problem getting things dry. We now have the stacked washer & dryer and again no problem. Just keep the loads small.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
do a search on the forum, many agree that the stackable or separate units are the better option, and you want vented.
Agree. We are on W/D number three and they are on our list for any future RVs.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksolid View Post
How practical are the washer dryer combo? We're looking at a 294rl for camping and snow birding in a few years. Due to it's size I would rather use the area for hanging clothes.
After 16 years of owning fifth wheel trailers, we finally installed a stackable washer and dryer on our third trailer. It was installed in a closet next to the door but still leaves room for hanging a few jackets and then we have another large closet in the bedroom. We would rather have a washer/dryer over storage. Best add-on we ever did!!
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #16
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
We have a separate Washer and dryer installed and rarely use them. You can only wash or dry small loads. Commercial parks and some state facilities now have washer dryers for customers to use (coin operated). If winterizing, you have to remember your washer supply lines. If you have a bunch of jeans or towels then you will spend all day doing the wash and drying. Boondocking also restricts use unless you have a large size generator (portable or installed). There are pros and cons you will have to sit down and discuss to decide if it is right for your particular situation.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #17
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Imho, stackable units are best. We had a Maytag pair in our first DRV which I moved into our Montana when we sold the DRV. NEW DRV has a Splendida pair and we love them. Our new (to us) 2019 3121RL has a cheaper stackable but looking forward to trying them out.
All of our friends that have the 1 piece unit have trouble drying a normal size load. 5hey are jealous when they see our stackable sand several have already traded their one piece for stackable if they have the room.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #18
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
I have a Splendid washer dryer combo, and I love it.

You can start a load, walk away to do other things, and come back to a finished load.
It cleans well.
It's pretty quiet.
When an electrical issue caused by my AC fried the control board, I was able to easily buy the part, and replace it myself.

Loads aren't quite as big as other units due to having to dry them, but I have washed large loads, and then dried 1/2 & 1/2 separately rather than doing 2 loads. I just toss half the wet clothes in the shower until the first bunch is finished.

Due to the total wash/dry time, you should get used to running loads when you have enough clothes for one rather than having a laundry day. If you are on the road, have a load ready for when you hook up. As soon as the water & power are connected, start a load. Then you can do all the RV & campsite setup, shopping, or whatever while it does it's thing.

Washing doesn't take a lot of power, I forget how much, but you *might* be able to run the wash cycle on a 1000(?) watt inverter, and air dry your clothes. I haven't checked exactly what it requires, and I'd have someone check with a Killowatt before trying it.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #19
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We went 6 yrs using the W/D space for storage. Winters in Texas we competed for a spot at the laundramat and used the sometimes foul smelling machines. Then we installed a vented combo. Left the dealer do it. My wife wouldn't be without it. She says it's an adjustment to how you run it. Minimal suds, don't overload it and pay attention to what you are drying. She'll get up in the morning and put in a small load. By the time we eat breakfast, the load is done. Some days she will do 3 loads. I don't see dirty clothes piled around like there used to be. Yesterday's dirt gets washed today. Don't seem to need as many clothes either. My wife says to delute the fabric softner 50/50 with water unless you use white vinegar.

Once the Corona Virus hit, one place we didn't want to be was sitting in Laundramats sharing those machines.

We have a clothesline made from pvc which sits on the rear bumper of or RV and connected to our bike rack. So in good weather, my wife can dry shirts and heavy jeans on the clothesline after a spin cycle in the washer.

One thing for certain, I don't know what I'd do without my daily mesage in the recliner provided by the spin cycle from the washer.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #20
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
One thing for certain, I don't know what I'd do without my daily mesage in the recliner provided by the spin cycle from the washer.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote