Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
How many are using an Autoformer & Surge Guard?

I am getting the surge guard installed 6/4 by either myself or Camping World. I may just let Camping World do it as they are going to install a Fantastic Fan in the bedroom of our 335RLBS at that time anyway.
Just wanted to know how many are using these and autoformers as well.
I ordered one today. I think I should be able to handle that install myself easy enough. Just have to demo the end table to do it.
If you have another suitable location than there I am interested in those areas as well.

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bob,
I may have mentioned this to you in another post, but I have an autoformer and it is installed under the refrigerator behind the metal grill. I spliced in to the power cord before it enters the breaker panel. I put in a junction box with 30 AMP male and female pigtails. These just plug into the autoformer. If there is ever a problem with the autoformer it can be removed and the pigtails just plug into each other. Here's a link to my install.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...ofrm_inst.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
I just installed the 50 Amp Surgeguard. Split the 50 amp power just before the converter. The vendor did not think I had to have it visible due to the fact that they have had very little problems (UFFDA). I asked why there is LEDs and a Bypass switch if I don't need it visible. I mounted it in the bottom shelf of the storage cabinet above the circuit breakers and placed a fold up shelf over it to conceal the unit but still make it accessible. I could not mount it to the left of the breakers due to the central vac occupying that space. It appears to be functioning correctly. That is the 3500RL hasn't burned up yet.
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have autoformer, Al's install is on a link from our home page, see below for that link.

Love it! Very reassuring to have one!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:17 AM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345

We also have the autoformer and use it all the time. Built a portective cover over it to keep out the rain on the connections from a trashcan. Added vents and secured it to a board with snaps. i was told that the autoformer has a spark arrestor bult in. A neighbor told me he lost his by lighting on the powerline. Nothing was damaged in the RV. His neighbor, who did not have a autoformer, lost the boards in his ref, heater, converter, and TV.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
we've used an Autoformer (plugged into the CG's electrical outlet with our camper's cord plugged into it) for over a year and so far as I know it has performed as it should ... due to its very poor surge protection (if its surge protector kicks in there is no reset and it must be sent back to the factory to be reset) we just purchased a 50 amp surge protector from Camping World ... it will most certainly look like a pretty odd setup but the surge protector will plug into the campground outlet, the Autoformer into the surge protector and the camper's power cord into the autoformer

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
JEBar Jim,

If you bought the "Surge Guard" By TRCI, you will need to put it in line after the AF. Otherwise the SG will shut down at 102V and never let the AF do it's job, of boosting power.

Have you had to send the AF back after a Surge? I was hoping the built in Surge protection (minimal as it is) would at least save the AF and the SG is fast enough to protect everything else.

We do use both also, the AF 1st in line and then the SG.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We've had a couple of issues with tripped breakers in the last two weeks. The headscratcher was that the loads we were using weren't exceedingly large (the A/C and one or two other appliances). When the breaker tripped Sunday using only the A/C and the toaster oven, we knew there must be a shore power problem. We plugged the 110v tester into an outlet, and, by gum, there it was fluctuating between 108v and 114v. Apparently, with the park about 15% to 20% full, the AC voltage is already lower than it should be (it was back up around 118v in the evening after everyone's A/C's were turned off). Cheryl agreed immediately that the Autoformer would be our next investment. Looks like we'll be ordering one today. Thanks to all for posting their installation suggestions. We're going to use those to figure out the best way to corral ours.

For those who have mounted the unit in an interior space-- are you finding that the unit puts out any undue heat? If I mount it in a cabinet area, should any extra ventillation be necessary? Gracias!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:03 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Pete,

No heat problem that I have heard Al talk about, but then again, it backs up to the basement wall, and I believe there are a few "vents" there. He'll correct us here if I am wrong!

Carol
Old 05-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Pete,

If you haven't ordered yet. try www.pplmotorhomes.com They had it on sale last Month.

They do recommend placing it in a vented cabinet, if installed indoors. I found some very nice vents at www.primexdirect.com Item RDV2S See on line or go to my web. pics. and see the installed on my Rig. http://www.msnusers.com/azstar/ when there click on Pictures on the left side. You'll see a recent up-grade to the power cord cabinet. Just to the right you'll see two round vents. There venting the cabinet where my Autoformer is. Very simple to install. I used a 2" hole saw and some white Silicone to seal. Thats it.

Answering your question, it shouldn't put out much heat until it's working hard. So you might not need to vent. I'm conservative when it comes to my designs, so I always wanted people to follow my guide lines and I try to do the same.

Happy Camping
Old 05-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #11
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Glad you mentioned PPL! They are about a half-hour down the road from me. Currently thinking about placing it under the rig (my superslide extends a couple of feet out over my street-side axles) and locking it to the axle. If this turns into a big pain in the rump, I'll try to find a good place to mount it in the cabinetry or crawl space.

Thanks again for all of the help!!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I think Iam geting mixed up I have read the autoformer page and it says it has a spike and surge protection So i dont need a surge protector also? only an autoformer.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob & Lee

Many of us use an additional surge protector. Al uses one before the autoformer, so as to protect the autoformer. I think he told me the one on the autoformer is not sufficient in his opinion, and he does not want to have to send that autoformer back, a lot of work to send back, heavy, etc.

Here is the link to Al's page on his installation, I believe he addresses the surge protection there:

http://www.geocities.com/genieyorks/autoformer

Carol
Old 05-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #14
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bob & Lee,

Your right the AF does have a built in surge/spike protection. There are a couple of issues with that though.

I have studied it way too much. I need to get a Life.

The built in protection is minimal. I'm the Mechanical Eng. and I have to differ to the EE's. As I understand it, the built in is a little slow and will let some damaging current/voltage come through. The AF will also boost until in can boost no more which if memory serves is 16% or maybe 19%. Then it will let the reduced power pass through to your Rig. If a brown out occurs you could still damage your Rig. even with the AF.

The S/G has a much better Surge/Spike system. It also shuts the door if Voltage is less than 102V.

Whats happened here is that the Two manufacturers went in different directions. One went after Boosting Voltage (AF) and the other went after Spike Protection and High/Low Voltage shut down (S/G). I wouldn't be surprised that both units were designed for other purposes. I know the S/G people are big Military Contractors. They probably built the S/G for a Military Application and then discovered it could be applied to the RV industry.

You can see that together they protect in both ways. Boosting to a point then very good Surge/Spike and High/Low Voltage protection.

Hope this helps
Old 05-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Thanks to all for the info I know now I have printed a lot more to read and try to understand. I know the amount of money it will all cost you got to make sure it is the correct application and thanks again

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:47 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've mentioned this in previous posts but it appears that it will work here also. I have used an autotransformer for 3 years as well as a 30 amp surge guard. Both units are portable. Because the surge guard cuts out at 102 volts, I place the autotransformer between the shore power and the surge guard. This way, when the voltage is low I can increase it with the autotransformer and my surge guard will not cut out. Although my autotransformer is susceptible to surges this way, I'd rather purchase a new autotransformer than lose any appliances.

I never desired to mount anything permanent in my rig, that's why I use the portables. I padlock both units to my rig with a special bicycle cable. If someone tries to take them, they will have a problem!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote