Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2005, 02:44 AM   #1
Montana_3770

M.O.C. #3770
MH to 5TH Wheel? Y/N

We now have a motor home but are thinking about a 5th wheel we have looked and wife fell in love with the 3500rl floor plan on a Montana. I was told we would have to get a one ton truck a dually to haul this trailer. I don't know the first thing about the 5th wheels and I need help on what I would need. I also want to have the sidewalls gloss fiberglass but the one we are looking at doesn't have it is there a big difference in appearance? I want this to be the last time we change we are retired and want to travel a lot if we can.

Montana_3770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:32 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, jardr!

There are many of us towing Montanas with other than a dually one ton. In fact, I'm towing with a 3/4 ton. But you have to realize my 3/4 ton has higher ratings than most 1 tons. In any case, a dually one ton is not necessary in my opinion for towing a Montana. Some folks do prefer the dually and that's fine. We have towed this Montana about 30,000 miles over the past two years and I'd buy the same truck again. By the way, the scaled weight on ours is higher than the GVWR on the 3500RL, in case you're wondering how much weight we are towing.

We have the high gloss. Yes, there is a significant difference in appearance. Whether you like or want that difference is your call. The high gloss is very shiny, like many MH. You've probably seen other fifthwheels with this finish, too. The high gloss will add some weight but, in my opinion, it's a reasonable tradeoff.

Just to give you an idea of what it takes to tow a Montana, the 3500RL has a GVWR of 13,885 with advertised pinweight of 1,885. Owners of the 3500RL are reporting actual pinweight is around 1900-2200, if I recall. Actual weight on our Montana is 13,980 at last weighing with pinweight of 3120. And we're towing it with a 3/4 ton truck. The ratings on our truck - GVWR=10,000, GCWR=23,000, Tow rating= 15,400. You can get an F350 dually with tow rating of 19,200, GCWR=26,500, not sure on the GVWR, if you'd rather go one ton dually. The other brands have one tons and 3/4 tons that can handle the Montanas, also.

With our numbers, keep in mind we are fulltiming and are very heavily loaded. We are within our Montana's GVWR and the truck's tow and GCWR ratings but are a little bit over on the GVWR.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions or explore this topic more thoroughly. I'm sure others will be along shortly with additional opinions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:03 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Welcome tp MOC.
I feel there are only three basic facts affecting TV selection; how much weight will it be carrying, how much will it be towing and the total weight of the fully loaded system. There are seven basic numbers and a comfort/risk factor involved. Four are easy, they establish the vehicles design parameters and are available from the manufacturer; Base or "dry " weight of the truck, payload capacity, towing capacity and gross combined weight rating, GCWR. The other numbers available are subsets or details of these basics and only serve to confuse the issue in my opinion. Three are your resposibility to get: fully loaded weight of; the truck, the 5er [axle weight], and pin weight.

How much it will be carrying [actual payload] equals loaded weight of truck minus dry weight plus loaded pin weight.
How much it will be towing equals loaded 5er axle weight.
Total system weight equals loaded weight of truck and 5er [axle and pin].

Your selection will depend on your comfort level with the numbers you generate vs the design capacities. Other, non-weight related, factors will be involved also.

Skip

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
We have made the switch from a motorhome to a 5er. The differences as I see them.
First the motorhome, for the actual trip the motorhome is the way to go. For everyone except the driver the restroom is always accessable as well as the refrigerator for making something to eat, easy to just pull over for a nap. Your guest can move about and have lots of room to be comfortable. But you must either pull a car with you or take the MH with you everywhere. Not to mention the clattering of everything in the MH.
The 5er, I really like having the truck for getting around in, and useing the 5er as a base of operations for lack of better terms. The truck is much quieter while travelling and gets better fuel economy however no toilet and frige. No room to get up and streatch the legs. We do not usually travel with anyone except for the "Kids" and they dont care what they are riding in. After all their favorite phrase is "Lets go Bye Bye".
While you are out for the day the 5er is hooked up and ready for you to get back.
We went with the Mountaineer 328RLS. I liked the Montanas but at this point in my travels could not justify the price difference between them. We looked at a lot of RV's before we purchased. The Mountaineer has a lot of bang for the buck, and is very nicely decorated and was very appealing to the eye. As it turns out the that is not where it stops. So far it has performed as well as it looks. The construction is very well thought out. One of the first nights when it was so dark inside you could see nothing I was in the bed and Wanda asked me where the light switch was. I reached up thinking there should be a light here. And no kidding, there was a light. With three slides it has more interior room than my first apartment. It has that home like feel to it. So far we have stayed in it two weeks straight while on vacation and never got to feeling like it was time to get home, just the opposite. Needless to say I am impressed.
So which one to go with? Really depends on how you travel. Do you stay on the move, or do you set up somewhere and scout around?
As far as the truck choice, My signature says it for me, 3/4 ton or 1 ton...that is the question. In most cases the 3/4 ton is more than adequate. And the fact is that there is virtually no difference in a 1 ton or 3/4 ton single rear wheel with diesel engine, except for price. Biggest difference I know of is the springs are heavier on the 1 ton. Air bags or even air shocks work well to make up the difference. My preference is the Ford however as you can see here in the MOC there are high opinions on Chevy and Dodge as well.
With all that said, Welcome to the MOC! Any question you may have someone has an opinion. Opinions are like....well never mind but everyone has one.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is a matter of priorities. We went through the same kind of decision making. I had used a very large, expensive, Class "A", a 40' Condor, for an extended vacation from Houston to Big Bend National Park. This was a long trip with 6 people. There were no slides in this rig. We got four miles to the gallon on that behemoth on its best day. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

However, after evaluating costs of the MH, cost of operation, cost of a Toad, interior space and comfort for living, the fiver won hands down.

I, too, like some of the others pull Monty with a 3/4-ton F250 with a little beefing up which is preference not necessity. If you pulled an single rear wheel F350 beside my F250 and covered the insignia, you would have difficulty telling them apart. For my year model, the gross combined Vehicle weight is exactly the same according to Ford.

Whatever you decide, also deside to enjoy it and have a great adventure.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We pull with a one ton dually because the dual wheels make us feel more secure. Don't know if it's actually safer or not. We also bought the one ton so that we could pull a heavier fiver if we ever want to buy something else....heaven forbid!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Quick vote for the Dodge Ram. I bought an SRW because I wanted to be able to go through car washes and to fit more easily in shopping center parking spaces (I still park waaay out, though, and get more walking exercise and fewer door dings). I had a Chevy dually many years ago - it drove like a tank and I kept dragging the wide wheels over curbs. I never feel unstable towing with the SRW, even in wind.
Sharon

P.S. I love the descriptions of why people prefer a 5er over a motorhome. I'm constantly having to justify my choice to friends and family, and I agree with everything said.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I pull the 3400RL with a 2500HD shortbed Chevy and have done nothing to this truck in the form of modifications. I cannot come up with one good reason other than the extended fuel range on a long bed vs. short bed to have a one ton or dually. I will admit I love the look of a dually but after towing with my current truck I do not see myself ever buying one. I am 100% a Chevy guy, but all three of the diesels will do the job for a 3500RL. On the topic of high-gloss, I do not have it on my 3400RL and really wish I had gotten that option as well. When I do trade in years from now, I know the high gloss is one thing that will be on the next coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
jardr,

I pull the 3500RL with a 2005 Chev CC D/A SB. I added the Firestone self-leveling airbags just as an extra. It pulls great and more than sufficient power. I pulled it on a 500 mile test run and it was above my expectations. Good luck in your decision!
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:04 AM   #10
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I also have the high gloss, and from a maintenance point of view it's the only way to go. Very easy to keep clean. My rigs total weight at the scales was 19,100 pounds with he, she, and the dog!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:25 AM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Among our many camping experiences, we have only had one smaller MH--a Roadtrek--which had a large enough motor for a toad but made no sense to us to have two vehicles with us when the Trek could go most anywhere. But without the toad, the unhooking to go out for the day or just for dinner got old real fast. We are very pleased with our Montana--and happy to have made the trade. The F350 did a fabulous job last summer pulling through the Rockies and Cascades. Both of us were quite comfortable with the driving throughout the trip. We did not get a dually for the simple fact that it would not fit in the current garage and since we plan to be here only a few more years, we were not willing to rebuild. Because we drive it every day in winter, we preferred garaging. But as the mantra goes here--you really have to take your own needs and preferences into account--our advice can only be advice--and you have to choose what is best for you. Good luck and WELCOME! Let us know how it goes.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:59 AM   #12
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
When we decided to go full time, we wanted a unit designed for that use. We opted for a fifth wheel for several reasons. One, they offer more living room. Two, they cost less for entry-level, mid-level or high end compared to a motorhome. Three, if there is a need to repair the motorhome engine, transmission, etc., you don't have to leave everything you own and find a place to stay if the repairs take more than a day. We are well into our second year and still feel we made the correct choice.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:04 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Type of truck,DWD, SWD, LB, SB, Diesel, gas 3/4 ton 1 ton. Each of us that got the truck we have will tell you it is the best truck and it is..for us.Take your time, do your homework and the truck for you will jump out at you.You can gather a lot of really good information on this forum that WILL assist you in making the proper decesion.However..make your own decision based on YOUR needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:13 AM   #14
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
many things to consider, but it all boils down to your preferance. we too made the switch from MH to a 5vr. for us, we found we weren't traveling as much and all the time the engine was being dormant. the 5vr actually tows nicer than the MH does.and for us, it was alot cheaper!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We did the morohome thing first. For us, it was a big mistake. We had an entry level diesel pusher that cost us so much in repairs it was scary. Moreover, the ride was terrible and space was limited. We put about 25,000 miles on it, replaced shocks twice, cruise control once, windshield wiper/cruise control stalk once, exhaust manifold to pipe extension once and then, the whole side of the vehicle started to fall away. We also bought new tires ($1800)

After we sold the MH, we bought a new GMC diesel (loaded)and Montana 3295RK Big Sky for less than the Motorhome cost us used. I have almost 60,000 miles on the GMC. The ride is superb. The extra space is wonderful. Setup and knock down is about the same as it was for the MH. We regularily use the fridge and bathroom in the fiver at rest stops during travel days.

Maintenace costs are reasonable as all the parts are standard on the GMC line versus all the special stuff that goes into a MH. So far, the only out of pocket expenses have been oil changes and a new set of tires (less than $500 at Costco)

Bottom line (as you may have guessed) we are most happy with our fiver. Now, when ever I see a big MH going down the road, I say, "Glad that's you and not me!"
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:14 PM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Something to agree with in every post. I thought some day it would be nice to have one of those big diesel pusher motorhomes. Then you look at the cost, the fuel economy and the need for a toad - gets expensive real fast. And, we will probably only be semi-fulltimers when we do retire. So, I can use the truck for firewood, hauling, etc. We, like many, have the 3/4 ton HD. Personal preference again, but the Allison tranny is a nice feature in the Chevy. All of the newer diesels do an excellent job and with all of the options out there you should be able to find one that suits you. Again, advantages and tradeoffs. Single wheel has a lot more maneuverability and takes up less space. A dual wheel, for many, adds a feeling of security. The long bed vs. short bed for towing capacity vs. fitting in a garage. Diesel cost vs. gas at the initial purchase. Fuel economy of diesel vs gas. All have their advantages and drawbacks. But, there is one just right for you - and they will all handle the Montana. Enjoy the journey.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #17
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We did have a motor home a few years ago, but went back to a TT and now to a 5er. We lover ours and it functionality is really great. We have the 3400RL and really love the added room and the extra slides. As you have seen it is much to ones own choice. The Montana is a great value is a very good product for the investment. We have just upgraded to the newer diesel it is really as advertised from my opinion. Of course, as you can see, the type of truck is left up to your pocket book as well. Happy RVing.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote