Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
Batteries 12 volt or 2 6 volt in series ????

I need some advise. We do a lot of dry camping when hunting and fishing and do not as yet have a portable generator or solar panel system so power is at times an issue. I would like some input on which is the best route to take. I have heard that using 2 6 volt golf cart batteries last much longer then 1 12 volt. Before I make a change would like some member input.

Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
There have been some good discussions of this matter, but I do not know how to reference those threads. I will quote from my respone on one of them:

quote:A lot of RVers have switched from the "standard" group 24 or 27 12 volt batteries to the larger 6 volt golf cart batteries. If you have room for at least 2 of them, they are a good choice. They are true deep cycle batteries and will last a lot longer than most common 12 volt batteries in your RV. They are physically larger, so you must measure carefully before buying them, but I recommend you use them if you can. I have a set of Trojan Golf cart batteries that are going on 5 years old and they still have almost all of their original capacity. They are priced about the same as (or a bit lower than) the common 12 volt deep cycle battery. Golf cart batteries have a higher capacity than group 24 and 27 batteries... a pair of group 24 12 volt batteries only provide 140-170 amp/hours of capacity, where a pair of golf cart batteries provide 180-220 amp/hours. There are other deep cycle batteries available, such as the L-16 and AGM types, that are extensively used in large solar and alternate energy systems, but their physical size and added expense make them a less attractive choice for the average RVer.

If you have room and want to change over to the 6 volt golf cart batteries, you must make an important wiring change. Most rigs that have 2 or more 12 volt batteries have them wired in parallel. when going to the 6 volters, you must wire pairs of them in series to produce the needed 12 volts. This is actually simpler than it sounds..

Here are a couple of links I did find active:
http://www.road-school.com/acbattery.htm
http://www.trojanbattery.com/
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi we also have two 6v cart batteries plus the orig 12v. Have done two two week dry stays this winter. One at Quartsite and on Port Aransas beach and used them for all lights and tv with no problems. We cheated and ran the 2000w gen a little each day to recharge but there was a big difference betwn this year and last when we only hads the one 12v. The old 12v only would shut down very fast as the inverter will shut down at a certain voltage drop. Never did it this year.Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
Thanks for the help folks I have new Trojon batteries ordered.
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
foggyb-
You didn't happen to be at Port Aransas on New Year's Eve?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The original question was "is 2 6-volts in series better than 0ne 12 volt?" The short answer is of course. But the long answer is different as it is unfair to compare 1 battery to two batteries.. The correct question is, "If I am willing to carry two batteries,, is it better to carry two tweves in parallel or two sixes in series?" I really doubt that it makes much difference as long as you compare like specs. And, there is the tricky part. (Like they say, the devilis in the details) You have to add the amp hour ratings of the two 12 volt batteries together. This gives an indication of the life of the system. On the other hand, the amp hour rating of the 6 volt series setup is equal to the smallest rating of the two batteries you are using. Hopefully they are equal. Nevertheless, this is the comparison.

It is true, that six volt batteries have larger plates and should be able to handle a larger discharge load. BUT, they have to supply twice as much current in any given application. At the end of the day, it is probably a wash.

Better to pay attention to battery construction itself. I believe the best batteries around are the spiral wound, Deep cycle batteries available under a few brand names. These are available as rebuilts if cost is a concern. I'm not sure if they are available in 6 volt varieties or not.

The point is, there is a lot of anecdotal stuff that floats around ( remember the one about "never store a battery on a cement floor as it will discharge." __ classic among urban myths). But science doesn't lie. All else being equal, two batteries of equal size and technology and properly wired provide identical energy regardless of configuration.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
Just my 2 cents here...but I went with two 12 volts....not sure about 2 six volts...but I can tell you 1 12 volt sucks the juice out of one battery just putting out the slides on our 3500RL....it would drain it down to 3/4 on one trip....I would rather have 2 12 volts...than 4 six volts...JMO..A good quality 12 volt should last just as long
Montana_3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:42 PM   #8
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Charlie No we wern't in Port Aransas new Years. We were in Dacula Ga. as we now are also. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:38 AM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

The original question was "is 2 6-volts in series better than 0ne 12 volt?" The short answer is of course. But the long answer is different as it is unfair to compare 1 battery to two batteries.. The correct question is, "If I am willing to carry two batteries,, is it better to carry two tweves in parallel or two sixes in series?" I really doubt that it makes much difference as long as you compare like specs. And, there is the tricky part. (Like they say, the devilis in the details) [...]
Correct. Given that the 2 12v in parallel and 2 sixes in series have the same total amp hours, it should be a wash. However, the reason that I like the golf car batteries (2 sixes in series) is that the golf car battery is built as a deep cycle battery. "Marine" batteries are a compromise between a starting battery and deep cycle. An RV uses power slowly over a long period of time. A car or truck uses its battery in a very short high current burst.

If you had a motor home that was also using the starting battery to power the coach, then you might want to think about Marine. HOWEVER, for 5th wheel or TT use, there is NO starting requirement. Why compromise?

It would take physically more deep cycle batteries to provide the high current burst to start a truck, but they could do it.

The starting type battery can power your RV, but the life span of that type of battery is less than a real deep cycle.

The Marine battery will be somewhere in between.

If you look at the golf car battery, you will notice that they are taller than a starting battery. That is because they have more space under the plates to allow plate material to fall and pile up during normal use. Once that plate material reaches the bottom of the plates, the battery is done. So, given that the battery is kept charged to prevent sulfation (a coating on the plate that prevents the acid from making electricity), it will last longer. Also, the plate thickness of the deep cycle battery is WAY thicker than a starting battery. That allows plate material to fall off and still have a plate to work with.

Another advantage of the golf car battery, since it only has 3 cells there arn't as many internal walls so there is more room for more plate material. It is one of the reasons that two 6v batteries TYPICALLY have more amp hours of capacity than 2 12 volt batteries (given similar size). Of course, more plate material means that the 6 volt batteries will TYPICALLY be heavier than a 12v of the same physical size.

Factoid from the electric vehicle crowd, it takes about 1000lbs of lead acid batteries to provide the engergy equivalent of 1 gallon of gasoline.

The amount of lead you have matters....

Also, if you price batteries per amp hour, I think you will find that golf car batteries are about the best bang-per-buck out there. I can get them at Sam's Club for about $45 a pop.

OTOH, if you never dry camp, then there really isn't any issue.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:47 AM   #10
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
We are switiching to six volts today - we have a generator as well, but through experience found the 12 volt didn't last - and we were dry camping with friends for a week - who had the six volts - swore by them - as they do a lot of dry camping. We've heard only good things so far.

Mike & Evy Orlob
2004-3295 Montana
2004 Dodge
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
elorlob

When you say te 12 volts did not last as long...what are you saying...please give some detail...(no slam here)...just wanting to know...the batteries we have...have a pretty good rating...and have lasted over two years for us...I took them out of our old camper....

Also ...what kind on Generator do you have??
Montana_3028 is offline   Reply With Quote