Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
mach1muscle351
Established Member

M.O.C. #25598
Soon RV Owner 3791RD or 3761FL

Greetings Montana Owners!

I hope this is an appropriate spot to post.

The wife and I are military contractors and always on the move. We've always wanted to get ourselves an RV. We almost pulled the trigger earlier this year then covid happened

Long story short, we for sure are buying a 5th wheel to full time in. I wanted to consult the pro's to help us guide us into weighing our options.

The issue at hand is which floorplan to go with. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these two.

I am (the hubby) more interested in the 3791RD because (please correct me if I am wrong) it feels more spacious and to have more internal storage area. The kitchen also seems much more spacious. However, it doesn't have the half bath.

The wifey is more interested in the 3761FL because of the half bath. Which is an awesome, very practical feature to have. Especially after eating some spice Mexican takeout She argues that there is just as much internal space if not more than the RD.

If the god's here could please help guide me into the right direction and share their opinions we would much much much appreciate it

Thank you much!

-Mike

mach1muscle351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Let’s just say...Happy Wife Happy life, welcome to the forum

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You need to find a Dealership that has both floor plans, visit each unit and go through the normal routine as if living in it. And see which one feels the best.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
another one with the half bath is the 3931fb which we have and really like. not everyone wants or needs the extra bath but we find it nice especially if we travel with others we have the full front and the guests have the rear, both have a private bath area at night.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #5
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1muscle351 View Post
Greetings Montana Owners!

The issue at hand is which floorplan to go with. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these two.

I am (the hubby) more interested in the 3791RD because (please correct me if I am wrong) it feels more spacious and to have more internal storage area. The kitchen also seems much more spacious. However, it doesn't have the half bath.

The wifey is more interested in the 3761FL because of the half bath. Which is an awesome, very practical feature to have. Especially after eating some spice Mexican takeout She argues that there is just as much internal space if not more than the RD.

If the god's here could please help guide me into the right direction and share their opinions we would much much much appreciate it

Thank you much!

-Mike
We looked at both... chose the 3790RD. Agree it seems more open.

Does the view matter to you? For us it really does, and many of our favorite spots have a very nice view out the back, and a view of the road out the front. Not sure if that's important to you, but it was a big factor for us.

hth,
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #6
mach1muscle351
Established Member

M.O.C. #25598
Awesome guys, thanks for the replies!

Thanks Hemi!

@mhs
We have found two separate dealerships and 'tested' them out. That's where I came up with the RD feeling more open. And obviously, the FL having the half bath was great. but we didn't get to use it haha.

@ahdmeyer
I doubt we will often travel with other's, I grew up with a brother and parents with just one bathroom. She grew up the same but always with two bathrooms. She takes longer in the bathroom lol.

@kowbra, that's a good point on the view's. The RD does offer better view's doesn't it? I am also not a huge fan of the front windshield. Especially since it's a living room and will probably mostly have the TV up lol. Wonder how much that'd cost to replace. I don't know what people think of that. It does make sense to have the front windshield on the FK, as the dinnet is wrapped around with beautiful views.

Anyway's, thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback, and any others will be much appreciated too.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Our last 2 years of full-timing was in a new 2018 3791RD and we loved it. You MUST be careful to not overload because of all the storage.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
mach1muscle351
Established Member

M.O.C. #25598
Even though I have been talking and aiming for the RD. It seems like an opportunity for an FL came about. I am going to inspect a 2019 3761FL 20th ani tomorrow that I put an offer for (a deal I couldn't refuse).

Happy wife happy life approach might have won based on opportunity alone ^^

I will let you guys know if I am officially a montanaowner or not tomorrow.

On that note, if you guys have any professional tips on where to look, that the average non pro wouldn't look, I would appreciate.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
Take a look at the 3781RL, that’s what I have and it’s huge! Tons of space too!
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
Ol' Alvie

M.O.C. #21324
We've had a 3971rd for a couple of years now. We have 2 teenaged kids that sleep in the LR. I can think of about 3 times where I wish we had a half bath but I would never trade it for the rear storage that holds two kayaks and two paddle boards.
Ol' Alvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
I have a 2017. 3791RD. In my opinion there isn’t another unit out there with this much storage. It’s absolutely amazing. The extra room is great for 2 people. The down side is the fold out beds. If you have kids this gets old. We store all the foam pad bedding in big storage bags in the basement. Every time the kids go with us we need to drag all that out. If you plan on traveling with kids the BR unit. (Bonus Room) is really nice. 2 fold down beds or you can use it as a private office.

With all the extra room for storage you can get really heavy on your weight if you don’t watch it. I’ve noticed ours getting heavier each year.

Good luck. Welcome to the forum.
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
Twinlens7
Established Member

M.O.C. #21918
We have the front living room and full time love being able to see out front room when we back into site bed room in rear away from road noise to sleep better my two cents worth
Twinlens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I can not help with what I don’t know so I will tell you what I do know. We chose the 3813ms to full time in for interior storage which you mentioned. It has 16 feet of closet less 4 feet if you buy a washer and dryer. This is great for both of you. It has 12 drawers in the bedroom too!

The bathroom has the tallest ceiling height of any Montana by 6 extra inches. It is built at a level in the middle of the stairs as opposed to the top of them. I am 6’3” tall and would have to stoop to wash my hair which is a pain in the lower back in any of the others.

The only other info I might have for you is:

We would hate living in an RV without a washer and dryer.

I love having tool boxes in my truck.

We use the heat pump a lot.

The residential refrigerator is great!

Good luck choosing and have a wonderful time, we are loving it.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
Wentpostal

M.O.C. #27632
We have been full time in a 3971RD and love it. Love the storage, love the open floor. I agree with others about being careful about overloading there is so much storage. A half bath would be nice at times but I can live without it. Can’t live without the Kayaks and bikes.
Wentpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
Spike
Established Member

M.O.C. #26885
We own a 3790RD (same floor plan) and absolutely love it. We like it because the den in the back has tons of windows and always a great view when backed in to a out back. We have had our grandkids and our best RV buddies camp with us. The den makes a great guest room. We have often travel with 2 other couples and the Den is the prefect hang out spot. When we are alone we use all the rooms, and it truly feels like home.
Safe Travels,
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #16
DanC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27172
We have a 2020 3670FL and we feel there is more room than are old RL. Added plus is that if you have company and they sleep up front, you can still go from Bedroom to kitchen and not so much disturb the company up front. TV can easily been seen from some one working on food prep in the kitchen as well. One draw back is that the FL is heavier on the hitch so make sure your check out truck requirements.
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
3761FL was our choice. Half bath is awesome. Under storage is phenomenal. Just returned from 6 weeks, 7000 miles, 20 campgrounds. We love that floorplan. Enjoy whichever you choose
Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #18
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
We were fulltiming for 5 years, but the Covid virus has settled us down for awhile. We have owned a 3790RD during that time and love it. Your choices of the 3791RD or the 3761FL are both good choices, but consider this.....

In the 3761FL, can you get to either of the bathrooms when all the slides are pulled in? Having a bathroom readily available to you when on the road can be very handy, especially now as were all try to avoid contracting this hated virus.

Does the 3791RD come with the residential fridge or the 2 way fridge (gas or 110 power)? Our 3790RD has the 2 way fridge and is a must have during stays when shore power is either unavailable or very unreliable.

Lastly, I see that the 3761FL has the main bathroom all the way in the back of the trailer. You can expect anything that you leave on a shelf, and everything is your medicine cabinet or storage cabinets will be shook up and tossed around as you travel down the road..... unless you plan of travelling down roads as smooth as a pool table. (This is also why I will never again buy a rear kitchen unit).

just a few thoughts.
Maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #19
DanC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27172
That is a draw back of the 3670/71 is that you cannot get to either bathroom when the slides are in....good insight
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Cannot reach half bath, but kitchen slide out about a foot and your good. Residential fridge does suck batteries down pretty quick, I put a Onan generator in and solar works good too.
Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote