Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
What about a chainsaw.

We are figuring out what to take and what to shed. What about a chain saw? Is one useful in fulltime RVing? It's in a nice case. It would seem to me it would help in cutting up fire wood or making short work of clearing debris. We are talking 18" Poulan here plus a one gallon can of premix gasoline.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
If you are planning on traveling around the country, I think you will find there are a whole lot of places you cannot cut wood (trees) -anything. This is especially true of state and federal parks. And many private campgrounds also have this restriction.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Since space is limited and all the restrictions against wood cutting. I think you would find better use for the limited storage space aboard your coach. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:35 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Haven't needed one yet. I do carry a rechargeable drill with an accessory kit. The drill chuck comes off and a chop saw goes on. It's slow but it has a 6 inch blade. Cuts wood fine. Also, a bow saw costs $10.00 and can cut up to 10 inches thick, only weighs 5 pounds and is great exercise for the wife. Builds up those chest muscles.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:29 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If You feel that You really need a chainsaw then I would go with an electric one. This way no gas to deal with. I don't really see a need for one, cg's with low branches will come out and cut them for You and don't appreciate campers cutting their trees. A smaller axe is probably more useful to split small pieces to make kindling.

Gruffy, How's the back of the head? That smack hurts don't it

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:31 AM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We carried a chainsaw for a few years down in Mexico. Used it once to cut bamboo. Not a good thing to do with a chainsaw. Haven't carried it in years. Not a good thing to have gas cans in a compartment either. Even our generator is LPG. treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:32 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
For years we carried a chain saw in the bed of our tow vehicle and never had to use it. We were in NM going up to see the Gila Cliff Dwellings. About 1/2 way there we came around a very tight switch back corner and there was a huge tree down across the road. With no way to backup or turn around. We waited for several hours until a local came along who had a chain saw and cut the tree into pieces. If I would have had mine I would have had to cut the tree myself (too much work). That was the only time in well over 20 years that we ever really needed a chain saw. We do keep one on our farm for cutting firewood when we stay there but we havent carried one with us when we travel in well over 5 years.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island FL
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:47 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That saw might come in handy of you're looking for a lumberjack job,otherwise a bow saw works just fine. Doesn't need gas and takes up less space
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:37 PM   #9
LEN QEA
Established Member

M.O.C. #1936
Send a message via AIM to LEN QEA
I agree that an bow saw is all you need. I do have an electic chainsaw that I carry with us that has came in handy when staying in the boon docks. It all comes down to what kind of camping you plan on doing and where.
Have fun doing your's!

Len
LEN QEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 06:29 AM   #10
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
I agree, a bowsaw is all Gruffy's wife needs for exercise!
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:48 PM   #11
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I debated myself on this before I started full timing. I decided to keep my 12 inch electric chain saw with the 12 ft pole. I almost decided not to knowing about the state and federal campground regulations.

The first park I used it in was a county park in Hollywood, FL. It was a pull through site with an oak tree branch hanging too low for my AC. I talked to the ranger and she understood but said they were short staffed. To make a long story short I was able to use my pole and saw to cut that branch.

The second park I used it in, I was parked next to a large hammock with invasive pepper trees. I knew I was going to be there a couple of years. Park management told me to cut all I wanted as they did not have the man power. I did and it made for a much more comfortable site.

The next time I pulled into a park south of Orlando with oak tree branches hanging way to close to the top of the 5'er. I talked to park management and they told me the owners were gone due to family illness and to feel free to cut what I needed. This was right before Charley came through. I stood in the bed of my truck with the pole and got the job done.

Unusual circumstances for sure. But I was glad I had it. I store it retracted across the bottom of my front storage bay. I keep a plastic back and towel bungee corded around it to prevent oil leaking and protect the blades and my fiver. I don't find it to be in the way as I consider it part of my cargo.

I think, for me, it's having it on the pole that makes me keep it. If it was just a chain saw without the pole I probably would not bother. I would not carry gas.

I may never need it again. But my father gave it to me and I helped out many a neighbor when I lived in a brick and mortar. I may have the opportunity again.

So my vote goes for a chain saw as long it's on 12 ft pole.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If I was going to boondock I would bring along the chainsaw but otherwise I would leave it behind.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote