Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
slfaircloth
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13407
Using the Oven

When I have down time, I love to bake. Our first weekend in our new Monte, I baked some cookies. The oven really heated up the RV and the air conditioner never did cool it down during the day with outside temps up to about 78. Around 6:00 that evening, the weather cooled quickly and only then did the RV cool down.

What has been your experience? Will I need to avoid using the oven in the summertime? Would it have helped if I turned on the exhaust fan? I had the fantastic fan and ceiling fan going, but they didn't seem to help.

slfaircloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Down on the coast of Texas last year, I used my oven for baking quite regularly between May and October, a period when temperatures were regularly 90+ degrees. While the heat from the oven did warm up the kitchen and living area a little bit (nothing ever approaching an uncomfortable level), our two AC units still kept the temperature inside the Monty nice and cool. We weren't under any shade trees, either, so it was just the ACs doing the cooling. We didn't always run both ACs, either, and still didn't experience any significant temperature when the oven was in use.

Is it possible that your oven door isn't sealing tightly? Maybe opening the kitchen window, if you have one, and directing the hot air toward it with a small fan would help.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
First, I love cookies and will be over in five minutes. Yes, the oven generates a lot of heat and it is all vented inside the rv. When baking we turn on the exhaust fan over the stove and that helps quite a bit, but in general we avoid baking in the summer, except for early morning hours. We resort to use of the convection microwave as it gets hotter, but sadly it is not the same as baked in the oven...just my opinion.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We like to keep the windows open and the ceiling fan running if the weather is not too warm. But if the weather is warm enough to run the AC we always use the exhaust vent over the range to vent the heat outside when cooking. It does put off a lot of heat in a small space.
I think the fantastic fan is going to exhaust a lot more of your air conditioned air that the range vent would. Don't forget to lift the latches from the vent cover on the outside though or no air will vent out. And put them back before travel or the cover will flap going down the road.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Using the vent fan helps considerably. The way the outside vent cover is designed, it blocks the metal flap from opening very much. I had to modify my vent cover a little so the metal flap will open more to allow much more air flow. There is a topic on this if you do a search. I also reccomend using the convection oven (once you check the vent cover) for baking cookies or anything else in warm weather. It really helps keep the heat outside.

For what it's worth, try to avoid running to fantastic fans when running the A/C unit. They will draw in a lot of warm outside air and the A/C unit will have a hard time keeping up. A second A/C unit is also reccomended.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I would check your air intake filter on the a.c. to make sure flow is good. Or if you have a temp probe see what the temp is coming out of the vents.Sholud be at least 20 degrees below ambient temp. OZZ?? You shouldn't have to wait until it cools off outside for it to work right.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Have to add my three cents (inflation) here...

If you have one- don't forget to unlock the outside stove/oven/microwave vent fan cover when using the fan inside. One time not too long ago I was outside and my wife was cooking something and using the fan. I went around the backside of the trailer for something and that cover was still locked down and whistling/hissing pretty loud. Probably not good for the fan to blow against a dead vent like that. -Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
One AC will not keep these units cool when using oven when it is warm outside. One AC will not keep these units cool when it is hot outside and not using the oven

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
You didn't say what year your Monte is but the newer ones have a convection microwave combination and you might want to try the convection part. It doesn't seem to put out as much heat.

Also if you wind up with the bottom of stuff to done try using and unglazed tile in the bottom of your oven. We do this and it makes baking a much better experience.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, we find that the Montana oven works the best when the weather is really hot. While baking cookies doesn't take that long, several batches will really heat up a rig.

RVing in hot temperatures forced me to duplicate a kitchen to keep outside and keep the interior of the RV cool. So far, I use a 20# propane bottle (I carry 2 or 3 in the truck bed) with a tall distribution pole and interconnect a lantern, two burner stove and a BBQ grill. One of these days I'll buy a second distribution pole with another lantern to expand the capabilities. I mostly like this idea because this gives DW a huge break from cooking. When I try to cook in the Monty, she always seems to get involved - she can't help herself.

Here's the next thing on the outdoor appliance list:

http://www.costco.com/Camp-Chef-Port...&storeId=10301

The bad news is that this oven is even smaller than the one in the Montana, which is smaller than the one in a stickhouse. It also means you might have to cook outdoors.

We travel with an extra canopy, too, for extra shade or cover from rain. I cook outdoors in cool weather of no more than light snow. But after cooking, the food needs to get back into the trailer QUICK!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Art-n-Marge, We bought one of those stove/ovens when we were in Lake Havasu, Arizona a few years ago in August. Ave 118 during the day and 100 at night. We were in our Motorhome then running 3 air conditioners and we could only cool the rig down to 105 during the day. We never once used our hot water heater as the water coming out of the ground spigot was as hot as our hwh. We didn't even want to turn on a light bulb it was so hot inside so with that unit we did all our cooking outside.

It worked great. My only complaint was the oven is not regulated so you have to watch it real close and adjust the temp manually. I burned the crap out of a pan of biscuits until I learned how to bake with it. There is a learning curve, but if you're patient it does work pretty good. I ended up selling it to a hunting buddy that tent camped and could believe how well it baked things. We wouldn't hesitate to buy another if we ended up in heat like we did in the Arizona desert.

Most miserable 3 months we have spent anywhere.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
slfaircloth
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13407
Thanks so much for all the hints and advice. We have a 2013 3750FL and it does have a convection microwave - I haven't learned how to use it yet. We do have two air conditioners, so I'm going to give it another shot, make sure I turn on the exhaust fan with the outdoor vent open and not use the fantastic fan that most likely pulled all the cool air outside. The TT we just traded in had an outdoor kitchen and I had a love/hate relationship with it. When it was really hot and buggy, it was miserable to try and cook outside. Likewise when it was cold. If it rained, I cooked inside, but all the pots, pans, utensils, etc were outside, so I ended up getting wet going out to retrieve them. Also, if I was cooking outside, something I needed was inside and vice versa. I like having only one kitchen and also having all my "stuff" localized. If it gets too hot, I'll have the perfect excuse to recommend a good restaurant! You guys are great! Thanks again.
slfaircloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Learn how to use the convection microwave as it adds very little heat to the inside because the exhaust vent runs when cooking. It also makes the best tasting brownies, so moist and chewy.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the warning Alwims... I have heard about a learning curve associated with the oven but I expected it. Since I was an avid backpacker, I've had to relearn all kinds of cooking and baking so fortunately I am aware that any device attempting to mimic a stickhouse device is gonna be a little different. It is still on my purchase list, amongst the other gadgetries I want for RVing, Camping and Backpacking. I am a big fan of gadgets for these activities.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oven??? What oven. Oh you mean my bread box and storage cupboard? We have never used the oven in this Montana.. I did in the 2005 but that was before they came out with the wonderful combo-oven... Everything comes out great. It is not hard to learn, just follow the instruction manual. Even better, take a class at one of the rally's around the country put on by Janet Sadlack
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hey Guys: Has anyone had trouble with the oven door not closing properly ? I think we are loosing heat from the oven because it takes longer to bake things in this oven than it did in our previous rig. Thanks for any info.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
DW loves the convection. Does a great job. When we use the reg oven we use the exhaust fan.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
At first we were afraid of the Convection oven, but at the last fall Rally how to use the oven was demonstrated. Joyce has been baking with it ever since and we don't have trouble with the heat even in the Kansas summer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote