Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
moringgal

M.O.C. #12267
New Tires for Trailer

Hubby and I are preparing for a trip from Alabama to the West Coast and decided it's time to buy new tires for our trailer. WE have a 2009 3465SA that we bought last year second hand. The tires on it now at Michelin LT 225/75 R16, Load Range E. Would like to replace with a tire with 110 PSI but don't know if the rims will support. Anyone know how we go about determining?

moringgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
The rims will be stamped on one of the spokes on the backside. You have to look for it, but it should be there.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
moringgal

M.O.C. #12267
We found some numbers as far as pounds for maximum load but not for PSI. So far we've found DOT-T, CW-03. 3500 pounds max load, 16X6J ET0. Are these the numbers you're talking about?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I have to ask what your concerns are with the Michelins. Those are not the original tires for your unit and many people, including me, are having good success with high quality LTs such as those you have now.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
moringgal

M.O.C. #12267
We don't know how old they are and they are cracking all around on the sides. Just concerned about driving crosscountry with them.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Spider cracking is not considered bad and for many tires this is normal as they age. The cracks should be very shallow like they are only on the surface to be considered normal wear and tear.

How may miles are on the tires and how old are they? These can help determine whether this will be problematic. In fact, if you can post a picture, the MOC has at least one expert (LonnieB) who might be able to tell you if it's a concern.

If it's been 5 to 6 years and it's truly time to change tires, these questions are moot and it's probably best to recommend new tires. Many go with G614s, but others will mention their LT preferences so they don't have to worry about the wheels.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Warning, warning, warning though, some tire dealers do not like seeing LTs (Light Truck tires)on a trailer which normally needs STs (Special Trailer) and will not support this. However, some may argue that some STs do not have a good reputation on especially larger and heavier Trailers. LonnieB is not only an MOC member but operates a tire store and he has recommended LTs for trailers just fine.

I just want to warn you of this occurrence. I've run into it myself.

NOTE: G614 are ST tires not LT tires even though the nomenclature might not be that obvious. The LT or ST in the FRONT of the nomenclature determines the tire type. It can be confusing.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
moringgal

M.O.C. #12267
Not sure how old the tires are or how many miles. We went to Montana last spring and North Carolina in the fall and made several trips to Auburn tailgating since we bought it. They look new(other than the cracks). Will make a pic with my phone and try to get it uploaded here.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
moringgal

M.O.C. #12267
I've got the pics of the tires on my computer but can't seem to figure out how to attach them to this.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
On the information page of the Forum there is a section designated to "Reading the Sidewalls of Tires" (I think that is the name of it). Click on it and you can see how to tell how old your tires are. In most cased-- don't hold me to this --tires on a Montana are normally good for at least 3-5 years. As I said don't hold me to this because some can go much longer and some can go less. I had a tire blow last year and when I had Good Sam come out on their road service they recommended me go and replace all four tires. He had me go under the unit with him and he showed me why. The tires had begun to dry rot and you could only see it on the inside of the tire itself. No indications of any problems showing on the outside of the tire at all, inside was cracked and crinkled. We use LTs on the unit and have had no problems with them at all. The sidewall on an LT are more flexible than the STs also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
This link will tell you how to read the sidewall info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote