Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
Montana_1560

M.O.C. #1560
Yamah 2800i

We are looking at portable generators, and wonder if any of you have used a generator this small to run a 15K btu air conditioner? Mine seems to run fine plugged into 20a receptical at home. We know that when runnig a/c, we would not be able to run much if anything else.

Montana_1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
Montana_1063
Established Member

M.O.C. #1063
Hi,
I have 3000i honda.It won't run my 15K. It's the start up amps that you have to be concerned with.It would be better to get two 2000 units an run them in paralell. Easyer to handle also
Montana_1063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:48 AM   #3
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We too are able to run the AC at Mike's parents house when we are plugged into the regular outlet but you can run NOTHING else. And I mean nothing, no pump for the water, no water heater, no fridge, radio... Everytime we go there we pop the breaker in the house about 100 times and his Dad gets mad so I don't even tell him any more. LOL I just have him sneak in a reset the breaker. You are better off getting a much larger generator to be happy.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KevandDe

We are looking at portable generators, and wonder if any of you have used a generator this small to run a 15K btu air conditioner? Mine seems to run fine plugged into 20a receptical at home. We know that when runnig a/c, we would not be able to run much if anything else.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:07 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, there must have been some draw from something in the house, too. We used to plug ours into a 20 amp patio outlet at home and would run the 15k AC, fridge, lights if we were loading it up, and sometimes the radio and wouldn't pop the breaker. If someone in the stick house turned on the microwave or clothes dryer, both on that same circuit, then we'd pop the breaker.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:16 AM   #5
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Ditto here, as Steve said, I have used a 20 amp at the house, it would carry the A/C on low and even a 110v light or two with no problem. Now if I ran the A/C on high for over a couple hours, the breaker would give up, but it did take a little while.
Since then I popped a 30 amp breaker in and no problems, I had already run a heavy enough wire to handle 50 amps
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:20 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We plugged into their laundy room in the garage which is on a seperate circuit. I think it was like Kenny said, we had it running on high for quite a while then it would trip. Then again there could be something wrong with the electrical in the 5er or their house. Who knows.... LOL

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Mel, there must have been some draw from something in the house, too. We used to plug ours into a 20 amp patio outlet at home and would run the 15k AC, fridge, lights if we were loading it up, and sometimes the radio and wouldn't pop the breaker. If someone in the stick house turned on the microwave or clothes dryer, both on that same circuit, then we'd pop the breaker.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote