Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2004, 03:55 AM   #1
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
surround sound

We are still working the bugs out of our new Montana. It came with surround sound and my husband, a gadget maniac and able to fix most anything cannot figure out how to get the speakers by the chairs to work. All the other speakers work fine. He will probably have to take it in but would prefer to figure it out himself as usual. Anyone else run into this problem? We figure the wires are not connected somewhere.

Thanks!

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:10 AM   #2
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Sorry, I hit shift and sent my reply out without replying (something I'm known for). In order for there to be rear speaker sound, the dvd or cd must have dolby encoding in it. In other words, if you simply put in the latest Michael Jackson cd or Gone With the Wind dvd and expect rear speaker sound, it won't be there. If you put in a 2003 Spiderman dvd, it should be there.

Wayne

-------------
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toolmanroy

We are still working the bugs out of our new Montana. It came with surround sound and my husband, a gadget maniac and able to fix most anything cannot figure out how to get the speakers by the chairs to work. All the other speakers work fine. He will probably have to take it in but would prefer to figure it out himself as usual. Anyone else run into this problem? We figure the wires are not connected somewhere.

Thanks!
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:23 AM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Check this out.. Everyone complants about the system.
Copyed from Fulltimedremer's post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me preface by saying, I do not have the DVD/CD/Stereo that you have. I do have some experience with Dolby 5.1 stereo equipment. Let me see if I can add any light to the subject:

1. While playing CD's, I get sound out of the three front speakers (beneath the player) and the subwoofer, but not the rear speakers (over the couch).

In order to get sound from the rear speakers you need to have a Dolby 5.1 encoded CD. If the CD does not have a Dolby 5.1 logo on it you are not going to get 5 channels of sound plus the sub-woofer. (Dolby 5 = left, center, right, left surround, right surround. .1 = subwoofer - low frequencies and effects.) If your CD is Dolby 5.1 encoded you will get sound from all speakers including the sub-woofer.

2. While playing the stereo tuner, I get sound out of all the speakers.

Many FM Radio Stations include Dolby 5.1 signals in their programming, so this should give sound from all speakers.

3. While playing a DVD, I either get the background (mood) music out of all the speakers, but no voice sound, or voice and normal movie sound out of the front speakers and nothing out of the rear speakers. I've played with the audio function on the DVD player, but get either/or, not both.

When playing DVD's there are several variables to consider -

1. How is the DVD audio encoded - PCM (Stereo), Dolby 5.1 (Surround), Dolby Pro-logic (Surround), Dolby Pro-logic II (Surround)

2. From the Start Menu on the DVD you may need to setup the audio to match your particular DVD Player - In this case choose Dolby 5.1.

3. A DVD encoded with dolby 5.1 may not have continuous sound from the surround speakers. Surround is designed to give spatial qualities to the movie. For example:
You may hear a door open and close behind you.

You may hear an emergency siren in the right rear speaker, move to the right front speaker, move to the center, move to the left and then to the left rear.

You may hear ambient room noises, background conversations, etc.

I'm sure I haven't covered all the variables, but hopefully this will help you to understand Dolby 5.1 a little better. I would rent a good adventure movie with lots of explosions, etc. that is endoded with Dolby 5.1 and see if you hear the special effects in the rear surround speakers.

For more info on Dolby 5.1 and future audio encoding check out their website:

http://www.dolby.com/

Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Thank you!! We have several DVDs we will try. We have surround sound at home and I think the back speakers work all the time but we watch mostly satellite and I imagine most of it is in Dolby. We got our trailer Monday night and we are leaving Friday morning and each of us has a full work week, so we are getting everything ready in the evening. Our brains are not working on all cylinders. We appreciate the help!
Old 06-30-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Enjoy the trip and stay safe.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
toolmanroy: We also had some difficulty getting the rear speakers to emit sound. Our Monty came equiped with the Quest CD/DVD player. After hubby made some adjustments per the manual the system now does work. Not the best sounding system, but it is surround. And as someone previously mentioned you do need to play the DVD/CD with Dolby surround sound indicated on the packaging.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Don't feel bad I still haven't got our's to work right yet. Haven't had all that much time to mess with it. We don't have a dvd player in our house so have to buy a couple. Will be in Mi. the next two weeks for our FCRV Campvention. Might have some time then.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:10 AM   #8
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Where in Michigan,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ronstan

Don't feel bad I still haven't got our's to work right yet. Haven't had all that much time to mess with it. We don't have a dvd player in our house so have to buy a couple. Will be in Mi. the next two weeks for our FCRV Campvention. Might have some time then.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:24 AM   #9
Montana_820
Established Member

M.O.C. #820
One of the things I found was that the cables were improperly connected back to the receiver...mights also check that to make sure they have input/output/speakers set up correctly...
Montana_820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #10
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We will be in Berrien Springs,Mi. We will be at the youth fairgrounds. Real nice place. Think we will have between 800 - 900. FCRV is a great family oriented group. For info go to FCRV.org
Old 07-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mine was wired all wrong at the factory, I took it back to my seller and they got it working great. I dont even need the instruction book anymore just push it on and away it goes.

TT2
Old 07-02-2004, 03:24 PM   #12
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Bought cold mountain c/d today. Son was over got the surround working. Still not sure how he did it. That's the difference in 25 yrs. Souds pretty good. Not the best but for a trailer not bad.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:21 AM   #13
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We took our Montana on its first trip and everything was great! We traveled to the Oregon/northern CA coast via 199, not my favorite road but very beautiful. It towed easier than our previous smaller fifth wheel, set up faster, was more comfortable, and the surround sound worked fine after we put in a new DVD we purchased. Ours is a 2005 model and maybe they have worked out the bugs on the surround sound because it sounded very good to us. The only thing I don't like is the speaker in the cabinet. I am sure hubby will do something with that.

Thanks to your information Roy did not tear the wiring apart and waited to see how the DVD played first. It saved him a lot of time.