Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
Montana_1550
Established Member

M.O.C. #1550
Montana Tire Wear

I have started seeing a trend on several Montanas lately which concerns abnormal tire wear.

Either two tires on the same axle are wearing on the inside, or all four tires are wearing on the inside.

Generally, inside tire wear often relates to overloading axle capacity but I am having a difficult time thinking all of these units are overloaded.

Sometimes this tire wear is not easily visible but can be detected in the early stages by rubbing your hand across the tread on the inside of the tire. Tread will feel twisted or have noticable highs and lows.

I would be interested in hearing from Montana owners who are finding tire wear problems.

Montana_1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had one tire wear badly on the inside. I swapped it with the spare and this tire is wearing nicely. All four tires are now wearing pretty well. They have about 15000, maybe 20000 miles on them now. However, I can't really say that. I've had two tires replaced by Goodyear as defective. The first they replaced at no charge whatsoever, even mounting. That one had around 10k miles on it. A couple of weeks ago another went defective. This one I was charged a prorated price for accumulated wear.

I'm also convinced these wheels should be balanced. I haven't balanced ours yet but will do so with the next set of tires. Anybody know why balancing would not be desirable?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
In one year,we have about 12K miles on the tires, and they were all wearing on the inside treads considerably more than on the center or outside treads. The wear was also in a "heel and toe" pattern, indiciative of out of balance tires. Had then had all 4 balanced, and they all were greatly out of balance.

I had also just checked the rig's weight, we are under 14 K, well below 12 K on the axles. It was checked fully loaded, just as we use it on the road.

Just why didn't I notice the lack of any balancing weights on any tire at delivery? Just not thinking clearly, I guess. IMOH, tire balancing should be a required PDI item!! If there are no weights on any tire, they didn't balance them...
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
This is helpful information. We are still under warranty and will have the axles checked. Our unit is not overload and sits level with the bed of the truck. Most of our miles have been on interstates. We usually trying to go 3 hours between stops.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:44 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
None of you are giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.....

I'm off to the axel bender this week... we'll see what he says.

The 3670 is on 6000 pound alko axels. Loaded, it puts 12,000 pounds on the wheels.....(yep...no safety margin). Hopefully, Alko has built a safety margin ito it's axels but it sure doesn't look like much....

The bad news is that the spring ends and suspension parts ride on plastic bushings. The good news is they cost 33 cents each...The badder news is that after about 12,000 miles, I have bushings worn completely through.

I suspect if your changeing tires you should be installing new bushings as well.... photos will follow later this week.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:10 AM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We are on our fourth fifth wheel. First Montana. On all of the rigs we had the tires wore on the inside. When they are rotated the just take the right side and put them on the left. After two rotations we have the tires dismounted and remounted and balanced with the inside out so they will wear evenly and increase tire life. We put about eight thousand mile a year on our rig. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Treecounter
... so they will wear evenly and increase tire life. We put about eight thousand mile a year on our rig. ...
Just curious. How many years do you keep a set of tires on a trailer? I've heard it suggested that changing after 5 is a good policy regardless of tread. What is your experience?

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:04 AM   #8
Montana_1909

M.O.C. #1909
RV Service Manager
I experienced the same issue with my 2001 28.5 RK. All four tires worn badly on the inside while the tread on the outside and middle of the tire were almost like new. I was out of warrenty by a year and a half so I had the axles cold bent by AccuTrac in Mesa, AZ to put the correct camber back into the axles. I then replaced the four tires. If this fix doesn't work, I will replace the two axles with a different brand, such as Dexter. My coach is never overloaded and I routinely have the entire rig weighed on truck scales. I am watching the new tires very carefully to see if the "fix" worked.
Montana_1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
I have a 2004 2850 and after reading this forum I began to watch for this wear. Sure enough it showed wear on the inside rib of the back tires. I called the sevice manager at our dealer, he called Keystone and was told to deal with the axle company. One call to them and they sent a new axle. Took the 5er in today to get it fixed. They are checking the front axle to see if it needs to be replaced. Also discussing the tire replacement. No word on that yet. Thanks Rv Service Manager for putting us on to this and saving us a bad accdent.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:18 PM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Paul:

You might want to make sure the axle folks measured the camber on both axles as part of the installation process. Just putting a new axle on to replace the old one might not, in itself, solve the real problem, incorrect camber. They probably did check the camber, but it wouldn't hurt to ask..just a thought..

Best Regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:24 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have a little irregular wear on one position but I can't seem to keep the Goodyear Marathons from going bad long enough to wear one out. I today visited a Goodyear dealer with the third (of the original five) defective Marathon. The first two broke belts on an inside sidewall but this one developed a bubble on the outside sidewall, near the bead. It originally was about 5 or 6 inches long, inch and a half wide, 3/4 inch or so high. I took it off the trailer at that point and put the tire in the bed of the truck to await when we arrived near a Goodyear dealer. That bubble has grown in those three days to where it looks like a huge goiter. I'll post pictures when I have a chance to take them off the camera. The dealer didn't argue about it being defective. It'll cost me the pro-rated price to replace it, though. For another Goodyear Marathon.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
I have to give Goodyear credit, they have been real good about replacing their tires (I got 5 Marathons and 5 Wrangler HTs from them) but it does get a little tiresome after a while doesn't it?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yep, it does. And the problem is the reduced price is for another of the same thing. I wonder if they'd credit me towards a Michelin or other brand? Sure.