Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Look Ma, no lock!

We were camping in Maine last week. Just leaving for dinner and upon closing and locking the door, discovered that the door lock tumbler was gone. Just a gaping hole there in the handle where the key slot used to be. After a diligent search on the patio rug and ground area, decided to look at DW's keys. Yup, there it was still stuck to her key. Tried briefly to reinstall it but gave up with the thought that it will probably come out again. We just used the bolt lock the rest of the trip. Removed the lock assembly this week after returning and took it to a local locksmith. After working on it for only a couple minutes, he handed it back to me and said it shouldn't come out again and sent me on my way without charge. One thing I noticed when re-installing the lock assembly is that the gasket that seals against the outside door surface was folded over and crushed from the factory. Basically, it was junk, so just made my own gasket from duxseal and reinstalled after lubing. Just wanted to pass this on in case it happens to others.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job! And very nice of the Locksmith.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The only problem we had from the factory was that they forgot to drill the recess for the dead bolt part of the trailer lock. We couldn't figure out why the bolt would not turn and close. Looked in the recess and found there WAS no recess. It took me a few minutes with the Dremel and we were good to go.

We didn't go over this part during the PDI. I guess there isn't much QC in this part. No problems since, other than if someone wanted in to our rig, it wouldn't take much effort.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote