Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Convenience Center

Since it was such a beautiful day today(60 degrees), I thought I would pull the back wall of the convenience center out and just look to see whats there. What a plumbing mess, I did get a turn or 2 on some of the fittings.

Then I thought I would take the wall panel off that hides the converter and what not. Well this panel has a heat vent in the middle of it, and when I looked inside of the vent, I could see the converter and through to the grill into the camper below the steps. I did find a heat duck just laying on top of the gray tank for the bathroom, but its a 2" duck, and the vent is a 4".

Also noticed that the 2nd step support was not in place, allowing it to sag, so I put back and put some screws in them.

Also found the power cable coming up and disappearing where the breaker panel is.

So, my questions are,

Does this heat vent really a heat vent? or just a way air can circulate past the converter?

And

the 2" heat duck, is it there to heat the underbelly? or what?

And

When y'all wired your built in surge protectors, what gauge wire did you use? I cant read the gauge numbers on the wire cover.

THANKS!!!

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
As to your surge protector wire size, it's a 6/3 with ground wire. There is a duct to heat the belly.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
LOL, Yes it's a mess under there. I spent a full day under there and re-routed wires, plumbing and other things. The biggest thing i found were wires coming into contact with sharp corners of
aluminum. I placed styrofoam pipe insulation on all places wire could rub. tighten all plumbing fitting, taped all heater fittings and flanges. Also had to fix the steps supports. I installed a surge protector also. There should be enough wire already to just cut and install the surge protector, mine was this way. I feel a lot better I spent the time under there.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Kevin,
Does your heat vent in the basement wall have any ducks going to it?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
What brand of surge protector did you use?

Thanks,
Ed
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Tom, in regards to the vent in the basement wall. I asked the same question of Keystone and was told it's a vent for the converter, if you can believe that. I do know that in cold weather it lets cold air in and in hot weather lets hot air in. I can't see where the converter need more ventilations as it has a built in fan and the area under the steps is pretty wide open except for the mess of wires you already saw. I'm in the process of installing registers under the steps, so when not using the furnace I can close off the drafts.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
The vent in the wall does have any duct work attached, it's was a mystery to me as to why it was there. The surge protector i used is a Surge Guard. I do have pics in the link in my signature, just scroll down to Montana mods and additions. I haven't put any permanent/ mechanical vents in under my steps, but, I do cover the vents with silver insulation ( car windshield stuff) when the ac is needed. If you don't close them off you will find you are also cooling the basement.

kevin
Old 02-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
swanny-GREAT pics and I got some good ideas for mods when I get my trailer. Thanks!
One suggestion though...more descriptions or comments would be helpful because I wasn't always clear on what I was looking at! Most were self explanatory of course, just a thought...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Your right you know what happens when you assume. I'll put it on my to do list. I have time, I,m recovering from shoulder surgery.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I was at the Timonium Fair Grounds RV show in Maryland today and was talking to the Keystone Rep, Mark Krol, I said something about the Rally in September, and he right away said "OH THE MONTANA OWNERS CLUB RALLY". I said yes, and he said there was a great turnout last September and invited us to join everyone this September.

Anyhow, I asked about the vent in the basement and he said its for ventilation for the converter under the steps, so y'all are right, it is for ventilation. He also said the 2 inch flex duck that I found laying on top of the gray tank is for heating the underbelly.

As we were talking, we were standing in front of a Mountaineer and I looked inside the basement and there was NO vent in its basement.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Oh, and the only Montana there was the 3750FL, and yes BINGO, its BEAUTIFUL!!!!