Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey LEO's!

Always wondered why the TV cops touched the L.Rear of the cars when on a traffic stop, found out one reason, share your training with us.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
???????? What in the world are you talking about? Most all traffic stops that I've observed recently the LEO is on the right side of the vehicle.

Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
two schools of thought on right or left side, but to insure trunk is closed and locked. Then stop at c pillar to inspect back seat, etc. before proceeding to b pillar.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
To check to see if the trunk is secured tightly...if not there may be someone inside the trunk waiting to shoot the LEO
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Are you folks for real? They think someone is in the trunk waiting to jump out and kill them? Is that what you are saying? If so..... I wonder how many times this has actually happened. So often that they TRAIN to check on that!? I'd really like to see the stats on that one. And what do they gain by "looking at the b pillar"! Surely no one is hiding in the b pillar!

I'm learning so much. Thanks for sharing. Dennis
Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow you had me so confused with these posts (not hard to do anyway but this one is way off to me). You're thinking LEOs, I'm a LIBRA, my wife is a LEO. My wife, the LEO, never drives my TV cuz she doesn't want to touch anything with it. So I get to do all the driving when my TV is towing the RV and I've touched something 3 times. Not too bad, but it was accident and I didn't get trained for that. But wait, you didn't even mention an RV.

Then you all understood each other. I felt like I came across a crowd of MOCers staring into the sky, and I started looking up like I'd see something! I saw nothing! Never will! Never was going to! Because there's nothing to see and you've just pulled the wool over the eyes. Whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop! I feel like Curly from the Three Stooges.

But guess what! I figgered some of it out. LEO = Law Enforcement Officer. TV means television and it's getting complicated with b pillars, c pillars, trunks and training.

Thanks Sky. You're the only one I could barely follow. I'll have to talk to the LEOs in the family. Yup, I got a few.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Different training at different cities and patrol areas, the reason I know is when the officer stops a vehicle, he approaches the drivers side touches the L.R. with his hand in a manner to leave fingerprints. If the whole thing goes South and he gets shot, or disabled, the officers prints will be on the vehicle. The plate and description of the vehicle is already recorded. Pretty good evidence of the officer being with the vehicle at the stop.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Pretty good info Ozz! Did not know that one.

I was told by a small town LEO that they were told to do that as another way to check if the vehicle was still running or not(vibration). On some vehicles they are more quiet. That way they can be alert for a possible drive off.

I never understood because I never turn my vehicle off unless ordered to do so(which has never happened).
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Awe jeese, and to think I thought you were talking about the LEO club I belong to. I even have a pin that the Crazy Ladies made up for us when so many joined at an Escapade rally... It stands for

Lets Eat Out.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Helen, I like your definition of LEO better. Bless you!!!!

Those reasons listed for the Law guys make perfect sense and seem like a good idea for all.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:43 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All valid points, and all subject to modifications and perpetrators desires. Trunk for example: quick release modified and inside the trunk. Drive off: My car starts in 1-2 seconds, and what is the officer going to do shoot. Not so, they will have to run back to the car to chase. Kind of stupid though to try and outrun a Motorola.

A report several years ago of a Texas State Trooper that stopped a guy that was speeding out of Galveston was quite interesting. The trooper had one of those modified Ford Mustangs. The speed coming on to the causeway exceeded 80 mph. The causeway is about a half mile, at least less than a mile, and it was stated by the he reached 100 mph. From a dead stop, the State Trooper had him pulled over just at the edge of the other side of the causeway.

I never run. I make sure my hands are on the top of the steering wheel. If I'm carrying I make it clear that I am and where the weapon is located. I make it a point to have my military ID card visible. And if I were a women I would most likely be asked for a date because of the sweet tone I use when communicating (No SA Remarks).

But the point is that all of the things stated have work arounds, with the exception of stopping at each pillar and looking inside the vehicle for evidence of occupancy. Of course, the crooks with crooked ideas will most likely have those dark windows and he will not be able to see in anyhow.

When someone brandished a gun at me I called the Houston PD. They asked if I wanted to press charges and I said no. (The acused has the right to know who accuser is.) I told them that I just wanted to let them know in case he had a traffic violation the officer would know he was armed.

They replied: "Thank you for your concern. We approach every vehicle as if there were a weapon in it. (This must be Texas.)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #12
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
My training in this matter was..........parking the patrol unit in a safe location for the public and yourself..using the parked unit as cover if needed, far enough behind to be accessible yet far enough for safety..noting lic plate and desc of car,lighting the area up at night, touching the trunk to ensure it was secured...and the fingerprint ID markers...stop at the last point of cover and inspect the back seat and floor..for surprises or incriminating items..stopping again at the center post to inspect the driver and passenger areas and hands for weapons or items that may be concealing contraband..all of these items are self preservation and defensive tasks..if followed you will rarely find yourself walking into a situation where you get surprised.. know your surroundings and what is in them..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks Don for the enlightenment. It got me thinking about using situational awareness to help keep us safer in our everyday life. Being cognizant of our surroundings is a cornerstone in personal defense and safety.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Actually..it is to leave a fingerprint on the vehicle should things go totally wrong with the event....and also to check the trunk....and yes...officers have been shot from a person in the trunk before..you always check for any holes, missing locks etc there as well....paranoid???...no...safe?...trying to be! the same should occur not matter which side the vehicle is approached from..
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
No HamRad,we are for real. We do things for a reason and those things are learned from past mistakes by other LEO's who paid the price. Things like how to park the patrol car at a stop depending on if it's a felony or not. Where to safely stop the car if possible, how to light the car up at night for the LEO's advantage. What to check for on the car - a broken window could mean a stolen vehicle, bullet holes could mean the vehicle's been in a serious crime, bumper stickers etc anything on the car could give an indiction that the operator uses drugs. Where to stand when talking with the operator while he sits in the car. What to look for when approaching the car - what are the operator and passengers doing while you approach the vehicle? Who is sitting where - how many in the car - their hands, where are their hands? Because I watched the hands of a man I saw him reaching for a pistol he had between his legs. Because I didn't like the way he was acting I suspected something and was able to get my weapon out before he did...He was bank robber from N.C. And only one thing mattered - I went home to my family that night. The bottom line is: people are out to kill cops and they think of more ways to do it every day. Do you realize that in certain areas of Ca. for someone to join some of the gangs they have to ambush and kill a cop before they are accepted in the club. I won't even mention those involved with drugs and what they think of the police. I hope you got a small idea what a cop does to survive and go home at night.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is a tough, dangerous often thankless job you all do, and I appreciate what the officers do for society.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
31 years at it before I retired and I still teach in Basic Law Enforcement Training. I tell each and every prospective officers that we have but one goal in this profession. That one goal is to go home to our families at the end of our shift. I buried four of my officers over the years, one shot, one of a heart attack after fighting a suspect and two to car crashes. All as a result of someone elses actions. All of the reasons that have been mentioned are good answers. We practice by repetition, doing the same thing over and over again so that it becomes second nature. That way when something bad occurs, we react by doing what we have been trained to do. You shouldn't have to waste time thinking about doing it, you just do it. It is a tough job. And it takes special people to do the job right. Remember, when shots are fired and people are running away from the shooter, we are the ones that are expected to run "towards" the shots. Crazy? No, just dedicated. Thanks to all of men and women that wear the badge everyday and congrats to those lucky ones like me that made it to retirement. Stay Safe and GOD bless.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sky,
Thanks for the great info. There is no way they could pay me enough to do the job that you folks do. You face situations that I would never be able to cope with. And to a certain degree I understand the rationale to do some of the things that you do.

It just strikes me as very far fetched to go to the extent of placing your fingerprints on a vehicle "just in case". Approaching a suspect's vehicle is a very dangerous thing and I understand the "due caution" one should use when doing so. Just as an aside I wonder how many times you found someone ready to jump out of the trunk of a car that you approached? And did you always leave your finger prints on vehicles you stopped?

"The bottom line is: people are out to kill cops and they think of more ways to do it every day."

Sky I just reread your post and found the above quote. I am shocked that you would make such a statement. The public, in general, is NOT out to kill every policeman out there. The vast majority of citizens support completely the police. Are there folks out there that DO want to kill policemen? Of course there are. But certainly NOT the great majority. If your statement were true then there is no way the police could operate. If nothing else where would future policemen come from? And if the public does not support the police there is simply no way they could do their job.... They must have the support of the public.

Stay safe. Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Most of the vehicles I stopped were not touched they usuallly had something better..my signature..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Hamrad I said that there were people out to kill police officers not the vast majority..lets get that straight. Of course the police need the majority of the citizens to support them, that goes without question. Look at the killings of LEO's throughout the country recently. People killed those officers and those
are the people I am referring to (again I will state - Not the vast majority of the citizens). To answer your question - No I never had anyone come out of a trunk
on a M/V stop. But I would have been ready if one did. Yes my prints were on the car just in case. What may be far fetched to you is in fact a reality to a LEO.