Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Update on: Opps! I think I ruptured my Black Tank

Well I think I hurt my black tank. I hooked up the water to the water supply and turned it on for the wife to purge the system and remove any air in the lines, little did I know that my adutional valve on the feed line before the regulator was open a little bit allowing water to go into the fast flush hose connector, not knowing it was filling up with water while I was setting up the Monty, I had a full tank of waist from the Q so it had to be dumped, which I was setting up to do then, I had the hose connected to the trailer and was getting ready to put the other end into the parks waist hole when I heard what sounded like a air hose seperating from its connector, then the flood of brown comming from under the skin of the bottom of the Monty, I was able to get the valve opened and keep from having it go all over the campground. I called up Keystone and they sugested that I have it checked out that it might be a connector that disconected from the tank, and buying a new tank might not be necessary, I dont think my luck is that good, but I will remove most of the bottom area where the tank is located and save on some of the labor for the inspection at Mike Thompsons RV Service Center. I will remove everthing this Saturday at the RV storage lot then make appointment for next week. I'll keep you posted.
So the what ever you do check your hose valve for your flush and make sure its OFF before you turn on the main water supply.

EDIT:
Ok I know I did it, and what a learning experance this will be.
$1600.00 big ones, 500.00 in material, labor is the killer, I guess its time to check into that Good Sam maintenance insurance, for future Mess-ups (realy a Adjetive). the bad part of the whole thing is most mail and deliveries from Keystone will be hampered due to the weather might be 2 weeks befor I see a tank. they say that the tanks come with no holes in them and it has to be measured, cut, reglued, and new fittings and flush valves, wow......I wont ever do that again.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I saw the results of a flush system accidentally turned on, and the guy was lucky. No damage, other than water in basement and coming out of vent on roof. After that, I never, ever leave my flush hose connected unless I am flushing. Fortunately, this guy had just flushed his tank, so the water was reasonably clean. Our black tank is being replaced as I type.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don, be sure and have them check the flusher valve attachment first. As you probably read my black tank had a crack AND the flusher valve had a small leak which wasn't detected until AFTER they replaced the tank and I took it home. Waiting for a new valve as I type this. They will replace it when it comes in....

In any event I would have them replace the valve anyway. Our RV tech says it is a weak link on the Montana's and most others. Won't be that much to replace it now. Just a suggestion anyway!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Phil,
Got any pictures of a "flusher valve"?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry that happened Don, good luck on it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Phil,
Got any pictures of a "flusher valve"?
Mike
I hope this helps you Mike.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Sorry guys, my mind raced to the top instead of staying in the tank hook up to the tank flush system. As said previously, I never hook up to the flush system until ready to dump, BUT I HAVE and luckly caught it before the crying started.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
trailer trash, BTDT I was lucky I was within warranty when it happened. Ripped along the bottom of the tank, made a hell of a mess. I dropped the belly pans and Clorox the pan pieces and the mylar covered bubble wrap insulation. It took a few weeks to get all the parts into CW but they did a great job and put a flex coupling on the dump leg of the black tank plumbing. The tanks are almost impossible to replace without at least one flex coupling. As far as the tank flush goes I would toss out that clear vacuum breaker and use a standard PEX elbow which fits just fine into the sprayer head. There is already one vacuum breaker above the flush system and the clear plastic one is not strong enough for any tension or vibration. Ours broke off within a month of getting the new black tank and was replaced with an elbow.... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

trailer trash, BTDT I was lucky I was within warranty when it happened. Ripped along the bottom of the tank, made a hell of a mess. I dropped the belly pans and Clorox the pan pieces and the mylar covered bubble wrap insulation. It took a few weeks to get all the parts into CW but they did a great job and put a flex coupling on the dump leg of the black tank plumbing. The tanks are almost impossible to replace without at least one flex coupling. As far as the tank flush goes I would toss out that clear vacuum breaker and use a standard PEX elbow which fits just fine into the sprayer head. There is already one vacuum breaker above the flush system and the clear plastic one is not strong enough for any tension or vibration. Ours broke off within a month of getting the new black tank and was replaced with an elbow.... Dave
For sure Dave I did that a while back, and I also replaced the flexable hose from the back of the inlet side where the hose connects on the outside flush, with a larger opening hose for more volume, a dish washer hose with stainless brade around it.

On Edit:
I just came back from Thompsons RV the tank has a Keystone part number 100713 and a Travel Star P/N TS2463SD along with a hand written number 295 in yellow marking crayon which is the one Keystone said was the most inportant number, at a price of $263.00 plus S&H aprox $90.00. and in stock.
I will be making an apointment for Thompson RV to see if a new tank is necessary, or if tha vent tube was just blown off ( I hope thats the one ) but I will probably loose, and have to replace the whole shebang.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ouch, Don! In December, 2009, I had to replace our black tank after blowing it out (didn't open the dump valve before starting the flush). The tank itself cost me $134 and change including sales tax and shipping to Kansas City. The labor for the mobile guys (temps ranged from 18 to 27 during the fix) was the more expensive part.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Ouch, Don! In December, 2009, I had to replace our black tank after blowing it out (didn't open the dump valve before starting the flush). The tank itself cost me $134 and change including sales tax and shipping to Kansas City. The labor for the mobile guys (temps ranged from 18 to 27 during the fix) was the more expensive part.
did you buy the new tank at a montana dealer or another RV company that was not a autherised distribiter Steave
Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well I ruptured the tank for sure driver side upper corner very expensive learning of what not to do, I told them to order the tank and I will pick up the monty and store it at my storage lot not there's, I want everything to be in it when I pick it up when the work is completed.

EDIT:
Ok I know I did it, and what a learning experance this will be.
$1600.00 big ones, 500.00 in material, labor is the killer, I guess its time to check into that Good Sam maintenance insurance, for future Mess-ups (realy a Adjetive). the bad part of the whole thing is most mail and deliveries from Keystone will be hampered due to the weather might be 2 weeks befor I see a tank. they say that the tanks come with no holes in them and it has to be measured, cut, reglued, and new fittings and flush valves, wow......I wont ever do that again.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Bummer news, Don. Truly an "Oh sh*t" moment. Best wishes.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Don, ours had the drain in them. Be sure they get the tag off the old tank for pertinent info for ordering. Freight on the tanks ain't cheap! Then they'll measure two or three times, and drill once. $1600 for one tank? Wow....glad I had extended coverage!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
Sixteen hundred dollars for one tank! That seems very expensive. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don..Something wrong with 1600.00 for one tank even if labor and shipping is included, Our extended warranty allowed 5 hours labor. If you have the numbers off the old tank it should come with all the holds in them and fready to install.

Find out who makes the tanks..Ours and others were made by Travel Star.

In 2008 the total cost to replace one black tank including shipping to Ohio plus labor was 800.00. The tank itself was 132.00

Something is very wrong.....

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Don..Something wrong with 1600.00 for one tank even if labor and shipping is included, Our extended warranty allowed 5 hours labor. If you have the numbers off the old tank it should come with all the holds in them and fready to install.

Find out who makes the tanks..Ours and others were made by Travel Star.

In 2008 the total cost to replace one black tank including shipping to Ohio plus labor was 800.00. The tank itself was 132.00

Something is very wrong.....

they have ordered all the material for the tank new plumbing and valves, the tank was ordered from keystone it comes without holes in it so the dealer says and has to be cut in . I guess I could call keystone and find out if the tank is preped already for my trailer or not.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don, I JUST went thru this last month. $1030 for tank, shipping to Casa Grande, AZ and install. My extended warranty paid for all but my deductible, $200.00. I think someone is doing a number on you......My dealer charged 5 hours labor also.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don..Looked at my tank replacement bill from Sept 2010. The cost for ALL the fittings, piping, cross braces new artic package for TWO tanks was 135.00. Labor was 637.50.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks for all the support from everybody.
I just got off the phone with Keystone, I was told that the tank for my trailer has no holes in it, (the vent tube and waist hole from toilet) it does have the drain hole for the drain valve, all the holes have to be transfered from one tank to the new replacement tank, along with all the plumbing pipes, elbows, valves, fast flush connector and sensors, they said the average time for labor can be more than 5 hours, so this means, I will remove the toilet and reinstall it after the tank and all new plumbing has been replaced. this will cut down on labor and reinstall the bottom skin myself. Keystone checked my vin# and the tank has been ordered by Mike Thompson RV a factory distributor for Keystone, so I have to get my service from them being out of warintee, and Keystone will only sell to then in this area. I also asked if there will be any problem with shipping due to weather, and was told no so I should see a tank in a week os two.