Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Chartered Montana owners club?

The sad situation surrounding the campers at the Q causes me to wonder about something.

This sounds like one of those situations where a formally organized club may have been a benefit. If (and it's a big if) letters from citizens could make an impact on a government agency, a letter on letterhead signed by an elected officer of a club may have more impact than several uncoordinated letters from a small group of people. It would have also given the government a single point of contact to resolve a situation that denies a portion of the public the use of lands set aside for the use of the public!

Have the people in the MOC ever considered the benefits of forming a formal chartered club? Seems to me a formal group would have many advantages over a loose informal collection of people on the internet.

We would also have the benefit of elected officers to coordinate all the good stuff in which the group is involved, member dues for the benefit of the group and for funding activities and outreach, and a more official presence in the RVing world. Not to mention involving those Montana owners who do not participate in the internet.

Is this something we could discuss here without generating hard feelings?

doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I for one, appreciate the MOC for what it is, a loosely organized, informal group of friends, family, acquaintances, owners, and owners-to-be with a common interest. The problem that I have with a formal organization is precisely what you outlined, dues, officers, and funding. Personally if I wanted all of that I would join one of the several (already existing) national organizations that specialize in that. I belong to no organizations as mentioned other than our church, and that is precisely why I prefer the MOC. Just my opinion, but you did ask!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I have to agree with BNCINWV.

I've been with the MOC from the beginning, though all it's growing pains, high points and low points. The MOC has it's administrators and moderators who work hard in the background keeping it the nice, relaxed forum that it is. When there is a problem, they quietly iron out the wrinkles and most people don't even know there was any action taken on the part of the administrators.

This forum has clout in the RV world. Many companies and services that are associated with the world of RVing log on and watching what we do and say here. I won't give away the user names of the ones I know of, but rest assured they are here and they are listening. That's why it's important for people to not to just rant when they have a problem with their Montana. They should use the categories created for explaining any problems, ideas or suggestions. Keystone has been very receptive in making changes that we have suggested here over the last 9 years and other companies have been known to contact a member about the problems they have come up against after reading about it on here.

If the administrators of this site decide to write up a petition to the BLM regarding the camping situation at Quartzsite, I'll certainly sign it, but it won't keep me from sending my own thoughts to the BLM on the 14 day camping limit. I have my letter ready and it will be sent as soon as I am done writing this.

One detail that some people may not be aware of is that this forum is owned by one person so even if a group of MOCers want to go "formal" they would have to create their own spin-off group somewhere else.

I love the MOC. I love the way it's administered. If we were even to have a say in making it a charter group, I'd vote no.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
lmurphy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2328
“If it ain't broke don't fix it”
lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Enjoy the forum as it now operates.Hats off to those that work so hard at it and see that a lot of great information is passed on. Thanks.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I like being in an "unstructured" club and feel as Doug and Margie said that we have alot of clout with those we need to. I appreciate the OP thinking this way though. I have only been a member for three or four years but really appreciate the structure as it is...... I wish I could have attended more rallies in the past to meet more folks. The rallies are a big part of the MOC and each one is unique in it's own way. Long live the MOC!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree with Bingo. This forum is the perfect venue for learning about and relating to our Montanas. I wouldn't be inclined to participate in a organized club and all that would bring. Thanks to the owners and moderators. I'm glad to be a member of this friendly forum. I logon every day and look forward to sharing with the rest of the members.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Well said Bingo.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Being a member of the MOC as it is organized (loosely) makes it a lot more friendly. We don't need an organized structure; there are enough of them around if you want to that kind of thing. I for one would not be a part of the MOC if it had officers elected because when you have that kind of structure you have a lot more rules to adhere to.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Love the MOC as it is. Not really into much structure.
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #11
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I like the structure (non structure) of the MOC the way it is. Would not want it any other way.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #12
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
As mentioned above, MOC is an internet forum and operates well in the current format. I agree, the formation of a formal club to represent external interests of a large group of people is wise, however as mentioned above, this is not the mission of MOC. If we feel the need to voice ourselves as a group externally, other formal RV clubs exist to facilitate just that. External concerns and campaigns to impact the RV community would best best voiced by the larger formal RV community clubs our there.

Good thoughts, Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
yes it was unfortunate but not the end of the world.Let it go as ONE bad experience. It will pass and be back to normal next year.

As for the forum. I agree with the " if it's not broke , don't fix it.

This is why I suggest let it go...

We really do not want to start a paperwork procedure within the BLM that will force them to make a decision.Once the complaint is made action will be forced.I worked for the Feds for 37 years..trust me.

There are rules in place regarding the 14 day rule. The decision would most likely be to enforce the rules. That would not be good for them or Rv'ers. BLM has been lenient during this time. I am suggesting we do not force them into enforceing the rules by pressing the point.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #14
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I remember a guy at the first national fall rally standing on a table suggesting the same organization setup. He was really persistant and didn't stand down untill the shout of "Sit down Steve" rang thruout the shelter. After having the expalination of the forum and then realizing this was the best and only way for it to blossom as it has, this person has been very involved in volunteering when needed at the fall rallys and even the regional ones too.
This has become one of the biggest and best forums on the internet and will stay that way as it is, don't try to change anything.
By the way, did I mention that "Steve" was me?
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We totally agree with Bingo. Please do not try to change things.
But we are very sorry to hear about the problems at Quartzsite. Even though we only went once, it was fun and we did go to the potluck last year.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would like to see a "Chartered Club" with Bi-Laws and a know Board of Directors. As well as the ability to select management.

Yes this Forum is great until I try and pull historic maintenance information. (I looked for my forum post on the Spring Hangers modification that I did this past spring. I was not able to find it.)
With the passing of Glenn Adams I have seen little to no update to the WEB as well as any instructions how to submit information. I feel the web is a little more stable than the forum. We have seen may errors and problems with the forum and the email still seems to be a problem.

YES FREE IS GOOD so why pay when you get minimal support for free.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #17
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
This forum has increased my RV IQ ten fold. There are many chartered avenues for members to join and pay dues. Hell, you guys have cost me around $3k in mods and additions this past year and we are more safe for it. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! I thinks???????????
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I for one DO NOTwant the forum to change. I have organized, been president of, served as board member, been a regular member, and have donated a lot of time to different organizations. In the long run, when you organize it, YOU JUST PUT THE RESPONSIBILTY ON SOMEONE ELSE. Then you have to have meetings, elections, and have officers of people who really don't want to serve as an officer anyway. Then when you want to do something, get people rounded up to help do something. It is so much easier to do things as they are being done in todays world, than it is to have to do everything by the BY-LAWS of the organization. After being in management for 40 years, I am afraid I would have to drop out of the MOC organization if it changed...Jack Blaylock ---Deadeye
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
This is the best forum on the web and I do not want you to mess it up by going all fancy with a board and dues and all of those things. Someone said it aint broke and that is right. If someone wants it different they should just start their own board and go away from here.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
No need to be hostile.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote