Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
CherokeeRose

M.O.C. #9848
Moving to Rockport, TX Area

Finally after 3 years on the market, our house in Punta Gorda, FL sold.(SW FL) We are Texans returning home to the MotherLand, just been on an extended vacation (9 yrs) to go boating. We plan on buying in or around Rockport. We have family near-by and have visited so know the area some. We will be living in our Monty until we find what's right for us. Any suggestions as to a good park in that area for a couple of months? We will be able to visit all before we bring the rv in but would like any feedback. If any of you live in that area and could give me a heads up on which cell service is best. On to the next adventure in our lives!!
Kathi & Gene

CherokeeRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CherokeeRose

Finally after 3 years on the market, our house in Punta Gorda, FL sold.(SW FL) We are Texans returning home to the MotherLand, just been on an extended vacation (9 yrs) to go boating. We plan on buying in or around Rockport. We have family near-by and have visited so know the area some. We will be living in our Monty until we find what's right for us. Any suggestions as to a good park in that area for a couple of months? We will be able to visit all before we bring the rv in but would like any feedback. If any of you live in that area and could give me a heads up on which cell service is best. On to the next adventure in our lives!!
Kathi & Gene
We stayed at Sea Breeze for three months the winter of 2000-2001. Not a bad park. Have a potluck every Thursday night. At least they did back then.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Coastal Oaks is nice and you will have Verizon service there. Before you book a spot you want to be sure to check to see if you will have cell service. We almost booked a site that didn't have Verizon access in the whole park. If that's important to you, just a heads up. We love Rockport.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
So, what do you want in a park? Concrete pad and patio, secure area, near the bay, out of town? Nice parks all around here. Give me some ideas what you expect, and I'll try to point you to some parks. We stay here year round, and DW works in Rockport.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
CherokeeRose

M.O.C. #9848
Will, not sure just what we really want. As it will be summer, we would like some shade from a tree(at this time we only have one ac)and room to put out our awning (we know theres lots of wind so know this may or may not work). We also expect our grandkids to visit, so might want to be in walking distance to a beach, DH fishes so near a fishing pier too. Site needs to be large enough for parking the big a$$ truck. Concrete pad would be great. We have family in Ingleside by the Bay where we can stay for a few days while we check out the parks, so we're not in a crunch. They also have a secure place for the rv/truck while we're looking. Any suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated and considered.
Kathi
Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CherokeeRose

Will, not sure just what we really want. As it will be summer, we would like some shade from a tree(at this time we only have one ac)and room to put out our awning (we know theres lots of wind so know this may or may not work). We also expect our grandkids to visit, so might want to be in walking distance to a beach, DH fishes so near a fishing pier too. Site needs to be large enough for parking the big a$$ truck. Concrete pad would be great. We have family in Ingleside by the Bay where we can stay for a few days while we check out the parks, so we're not in a crunch. They also have a secure place for the rv/truck while we're looking. Any suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated and considered.
Kathi
Ingleside by the Bay? You just might have found yourself a new friend! HA, just kidding. We love that place. Our neighbors here have a canal lot and are in the planning stages of building a weekend home there. We thought about trying to buy there, but it would double the commute to work for the wife.

Big truck eh? Sanddollar Resort might be OK. They have trees, both paved and unpaved lots, and I would think they would have room for the truck. They're just across the road from Aransas Bay, and have a pier for their resident's use. And it's just down the road from Fulton Harbor. Restaurants, Fulton's 650' fishing pier, bait houses, fish market are within a mile up the road. IIRC, Alice Faye's is just across the road. Heard good things about Alice Faye's, but never tried it. They do run a delivery bus for their bar patrons that overindulge in the spirits though.

We have two ACs on the Mountaineer, but we try to get by most of the summer with one unit on. No trees here at ICW RV Park, one of the reasons I like it. Not so many allergies for me. Remember one thing, more trees equal more skitters! And we've had our share this spring, I suppose due to the wet winter.

Take a look at this site. Any questions, just shoot me a PM, and I'll try to get back to you with info.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
My vote goes with the Drifters Resort (if they have room). We stayed at Palm Harbor for a month or so and it is great if you want to fish & crab off their sea wall. Nice little restaurant across hwy 35 from CG entrance (try their bread pudding).

We both think Rockport is a great town!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
CherokeeRose

M.O.C. #9848
Thanks for the sugestions. We will look into them and see if they fit our needs. Will, I will PM you as it gets closer to our arrival and we can meet. We'll enjoy that. So far, all looks ok on the house sale. We're proceeding as if nothing will go wrong and packing, throwing away, goodwill stuff and a huge garage sale this weekend. Using PODS for the move as the price includes 30 storage, maybe we'll have a home base by then. Now we only have to drive the Monty plus a car pulling a small boat. I love it when a plan comes together! See you in Rockport!
Kathi & Gene
Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Let me give you an early welcome back to the Lone Star State. It looks like we bypassed spring and went right into Summer mode. What's new, huh?

DW and I will be leaving for Rockport on Wednesday. We will be staying at Goose Island State Park for a week then on to Palacios for a week of fishing and fun.

We don't visit Rockport enough to suggest a place to hold up for a while but we can look at some places while we are there. It sounds like you are getting good suggestions from folks that know the area.

Have a safe trip back to Texas.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We had friends that stayed for two months at The Last Resort... We stayed at Palm Coast but visited them at the Last Resort... I would stay there in the summer if I could... Lots of trees and there was an area that you could get cell service that was in the open.. People that ran it were very nice.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

We had friends that stayed for two months at The Last Resort... We stayed at Palm Coast but visited them at the Last Resort... I would stay there in the summer if I could... Lots of trees and there was an area that you could get cell service that was in the open.. People that ran it were very nice.

Helen
Last Resort is very nice. DW and I stayed in one of their cabins when we first visited the area several years ago. They are right beside Drifter's, also a very nice park. These parks are about midway between Rockport and Aransas Pass. Only drawback to these two parks is the lack of fishing. Of course, with a boat, fishing is not far away. You have the Cove Harbor, Conn Brown Harbor, and San Patricio Nav. Dist. landings nearby.

This area is blessed with nice RV parks, and there are new ones opening every year. It all comes down to location; just where you want to be.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:01 AM   #12
CherokeeRose

M.O.C. #9848
Allen & Audrey, Thanks for the early welcome...we are excided about coming home. I'm a 6th generation Texan and have been on "vacation" about 3 yrs too long. That darn housing crash kept us in SW FL too long. But we are lucky in that we didn't loose money on our house like so many folks have done. We've loved this adventure and ready to get on with the next. We lived at Lake Livingston for 4 yrs before coming to SW FL. Have thought about going back there, but really do love the Gulf Coast. Look forward to maybe meeting up with ya'll some time.
Kathi
Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
It really is hard to beat the south Gulf Coast unless there is a storm brewing. Galveston is finally starting to get back to almost normal. It looks like they are starting to repair or rebuild the 61st street fishing pier. All of the other piers are still badly damaged or gone completely.

I was just looking at the weather for our adventure in Rockport and I might as well leave my tackle at home. The wind is supposed to be blowing 15 to 25 all week long. Maybe Palacios will be better for fishing the following week.

Hopefully when you get settled back in Texas we can run into you someplace and say "Hey".
Old 05-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
Here's our two cents worth. We stayed in Ancient Oaks RV park in Rockport and it was great. during the summer most all of the parks are pretty quiet but Ancient Oaks is right on the main road into town and not far from Wal-Mart and other shopping. We had a whale of a good time there and will be going back this coming winter. Can't deal with the winters here in Kansas City,MO. Give us the Gulf Coast anytime.
lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #15
CherokeeRose

M.O.C. #9848
Thanks for all the input. We'll have the luxury of parking at my brother's business in Ingleside and having a few days to visit the spots to see which would be best for us. We'll also be able to leave the big a$$ pickup there and just have the car at the site. That will help out some. We're packing, had big garage sale yesterday and got rid of lots, including furniture. We did that when we came to FL. But there's still a lot of"stuff". House sale is proceeding well but still have the apraisal to get through. We don't expect any problems though. Hope to get to meet a lot of you as you become Winter Texans each year and are in that area.
Kathi
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Kathi and Gene, we just returned to Houston from our trip to Rockport and after driving by, it seemed like hundreds of RV parks, I think I would like to set up housekeeping at Rustic Cove RV Park. It's on highway 188 which is about half way between Aransas Pass and Rockport or about 4 miles SW of Rockport. It has all concrete pads and interior roads. It was a smaller RV Park and it seemed quiet and peaceful. If you know where the Big Fisherman Restaurant is, the RV Park is about a half mile from there.

If you want an RV park on the water this is not the place for you but I thought it was in a good location.

We were at Goose Island SP. Fishing was good but if you stop there, watch your top and side clearances on the way out. You have to run a zig zag route to clear the low hanging branches.

Have a good trip back to Texas.