Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Any Special Driver's License for fiver?

We are going to get are new 3400RL soon. It's a big move up from a pop-up! Does anyone know of any state(s) with special RV or trailer Driver's license endorsements? Thanks. This is a really helpful forum.

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
You only have to abide by the rules of your state of residence. So you need to check with your dmv for that info.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Many states have requirements that are based on the gross weight ratings of the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle. Virtually all (I hesitate being all inclusive) states accept the requirements/endorsements of other states (regardless of what the LEO or HP says when you are stopped).

In this time of reduced revenues, though, states are looking for reasons to pad their coffers. Not for that reason alone, I would make sure I met the minimum requirements and consider going a step beyond them. The test aren't difficult, the costs aren't staggering, the experience is always worthwhile, and the reduced stress when you're talking to that LEO is comforting.

In Nevada, a class B lets me drive a vehicle over 26,000 lb and pull a trailer up to 10,000 lb. A Class J endorsement qualifies me to pull more than 10,000 lb. A class A combines the B & J, and specifically references tractor-trailer combinations (such as I drive), and is usually easier for LEOs HP to identify. (You may have noticed that I try to reduce the level of conflict between me and the law to a minimum. There are enough other things to be concerned about.)

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
farmboy is right on.... Each state has different rules. firetrucker gave some great examples of what is needed but it isn't as easy to find as we would hope.

In California, with a Class C license you may tow a trailer up to 10,000 lbs, after that you must get an "RV Endorsement" - I am working on this because dealers and salespersons will say you don't need anything (to make the sale). After 15,001 lbs there is another more stringent requirement (including a possible medical evaluation). Like others in California who have pursued this even the DMV personnel might be baffled on what to do since many people don't pursue what is needed to tow an RV.

On edit: This was posted by Superdave (Dave Boles) for all state requirements and I think for Michigan you only need something if you doubletow:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You don't need to know any of this other stuff about other States. You only need to know about your State. If that is were you are going to have your residence. See you are from Mich. I am almost certain that Mich requires no special license. Someone from Mich will jump in soon and verify. We are from Ohio. Ohio requires no special license...We are good in all States.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Michigan doesn't require a special license as long as you are recreational
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
No special license, just hitch up and go! Just remember it's bit longer than your pop up was...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
I brought this up a couple of months ago and there was a lot of great information given by members. In reading of the new weight ratings of the dually's, i believe virtually every new one ton pulling anything over 35 or 36 feet will be " illegal" in Texas because of the 26,000 pound limit. A 14,000 lb plus rating on bigger Montana's and a 13,500 to 16000 pound rating on new trucks is going to be a problem. I wonder if Texas would go to some sort of RV endorsement.
Getting a CDL non-airbrake lic. here requires a test , a driving test and fees. The big issue that caused my to give mine up was that if you get a ticket driving the car - in my case for a u-turn , you cannot got to drivers ed to deal with it. You will go to court with an attorney for about $100 to fight it in order to keep it off of your driving record. Speeding tickets are the same way, and they made the standards for legal defense harder in CDL cases a few years ago , causing a lot of the Ticket Attorneys to stay away from those with CDL 's.
I am opting to not get the license which may or may not work, but I'd rather get a ticket for the wrong lic, than a ticket with the right one.
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
SuperDave, in Texas you can get a Class B Exempt or Class A Exempt. This is basically a CDL with out the medical, logs or taxes. You can not drive commercially but you can pull the same weights as commercial. The "Exempt" license is the same cost as your Class "C" and is valid for the same number of years.

In Texas you need a Class B Exempt if
* Vehicle is over 26k
* Trailer over 10k and combined under 26k
* Trailer under 10k and combined over 26k

You move to a Class A Exempt if
* Trailer over 10k and combined over 26k

I did not realize until recently that I have been driving out of license class while pulling the Monty. Since I recently purchased a HDT for pulling the Monty I will have to upgrade to a Class A Exempt. Once I have all the modifications done to the truck so that it can pull the Monty I will be down at the DPS office to take the written & drivers test.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Superdave
I am opting to not get the license which may or may not work, but I'd rather get a ticket for the wrong lic, than a ticket with the right one.
If ticketed for license out of class they can shut you down and your rig can not move until you can get a driver whos license is in class.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You do not need, in Texas, a CDL, your are exempt from needing a CDL, but there is no such license as any class "exempt." You need the following according to the Texas laws:

CLASSIFIED DRIVER LICENSE (Texas Transportation Code, Section 521)
The following listed Class A, B, C, and M licenses will be issued to persons who are exempt from obtaining a Commercial Driver License or persons who are not required to obtain a Commercial Driver License:

1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

Minimum Ages: 18, or 17 with completion of an approved driver education course including classroom and practical training or approval of minor’s hardship application.

Fee: $24.00 for 6 years. Applicants under the age of 18 are charged $5.00 for a license to expire on the next birthday.

2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles, except a motorcycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds;

b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the driver; and

c. a vehicle included in Class C.

Minimum Ages: 18, or 17 with completion of an approved driver education course including classroom and practical training or approval of a minor’s hardship application.
Fee: $24.00 for 6 years. Applicants under the age of 18 are charged $5.00 for a license to expire on the next birthday.

3. Class C driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles, except a motorcycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that is not a Class A or B; and

b. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds, towing a trailer not to exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds.

=========
Let's not confuse a CDL and a regular Class A or Class B. Pay attention to Gross Combination Weight Rating, and Gross Weight Rating in each paragraph applicable. A Class A or Class be can take defensive driving, whereas a Class A CDL or Class B CDL (and there is a difference) cannot take defensive driving and most traffic fines are $164 (Ask me how I know) Since I was not driving commercially anymore, I swapped my Class A CDL to a Class A drivers license.

The above is ONLY for the State of Texas.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote