Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
BigSkys
Established Member

M.O.C. #10086
Black Water Tank Probes

Hello Every One, I am new to the forum, I have a 2005 Montana 3500RL, and I want to replace the level probes in the black water tank, I am wondering the best way to get at the end or side with the probes in it. Can any one help me with info that may have did there own. Thank you for any help at all.

BigSkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Welcome to the Forum!

You have hit on a common topic - RV tank probes suck. Here's a link to an MOC member (Ishler) who successfully did what you are hoping for. Even though I have the same floorplan (2006) I am not familiar with those physical characteristics, but hopefully the link can get you started:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=35355

You might try the search function at the upper right side of the screen to look for more on this discussion. Happy hunting!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
After our first 5th wheel I never look at the tank levels. When sitting at one location for extended times I always leave the Grey tank valve open for the washing machine. I always dump the black tank every 6 days and after your in the 5er for a while you will be able to tell when it needs dumping by the sound when you flush. Good Luck. GBY.....

P.S. I also recomend using Calgon water softner for the black tank and no chemicals.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
BigSkys,
Don't even think about replacing those probes. New ones will do the same thing. After you use your rig a few times you will know when to dump. We've had our rig just three months short of 10 years and the probes in the black water tank only work after flushing and putting a flexible wand down through the toilet and let it spray the inside of the tank. Now, there are some who swear that they can keep theirs clean, but I've never been able to do it no matter how hard I try. You'll know when your black water tank is getting full because the toilet will "burp" (a bubble will show) when you flush. You usually have about a day from the first "burp" until you must dump (that's assuming only two people in the rig). That's been our full time experience for going into our 10th year.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

If they aren’t working properly it could be something as simple as the wires on them working loose. I noticed this once on ours when I had the belly pan off. After I tightened them up I noticed they seemed to work a little better. I think the black tank shows full all of the time and now I just ignore it. I just keep it dumped every few days when we are out. I’ve read a lot of discussions about how to keep them clean and doing a search may reveal a lot of discussions on that. I think a person will have more trouble with the black tank probes not working due to a build up on them. It’s also my opinion that if you attempt to replace them then it’s allowing the opportunity to create a leak.