Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Diesel Fuel Gelling

I live in Northeastern PA and have a 2005 Chevy Duramax (see profile below). Last Friday morning we started out for Homosassa, Florida to see the in-laws (Dad recently had some health problems and DW wanted to see him). I started the truck around 0630 and got on the road about 0700. The temperature was 18 degrees below zero. After 1 mile to Interstate 81 and then 7 miles down the interstate, it coughed, I yelled "Don't you dare!!", coughed again, and the check engine light came on. It entered "Limp home mode". I got off the next exit, called my mechanic friend who brought "Hot Shot" and his computer to re-set the computer. I knew what had happened (fuel gelled) as it had happened twice before. Since experiencing this two times the first winter, I have changed fuel stations and added Powerserve anti-gelling additive to each fill up of diesel. Mechanic Rick stated that two other Duramax owners in the area also gelled on Friday not including the one stopped on the side of the Interstate he passed in getting to me.

According to the chart on the bottle, about 12 ounces should treat 26 gallons of fuel. In extreme cold, double that. Now, I would like to know, Duramax owners, how many of you use Powerserve additive and how much do you add to prevent this? By the way, we returned home, restarted the coal burner and decided to wait until this week to go. It was 22 degrees below zero on Saturday morning.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I use HOWES
http://www.howeslube.com/

USE AS DIRECTED and never had a problem, you should fuel elseware, try to fuel where trucks fuel; they go thru more diesel and would be less chance of water in fuel. I live in Massachusetts
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I use the powerserve only occassional. However, I don't have the same cold issues as you do, except during last week when down in the single digits overnight. Good fuel is always the key.
When I keep the powerserve on hand, I will treat about every fourth tank, just to clean the injectors. I do plug mine in when it gets below 25.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Stanadyne Performance Formula only for me, and we are up in Minnesota (last week -22 actual temps). I've only gelled once, and it was totally my fault. I had the Stanadyne out in my truck and it turned to slush...added it when fueling up. That is the only time it sputtered on me, and I got some 911 to fix it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've used Powerserve for years when I'm in cold country. However since we are full timing and find ourselves in southern climes when it's cold up north, we don't need it. It does help take out the water in the fuel though so I might start using it again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I used to run GM's diesel fuel conditioner until I gelled up last winter. I have since switched to Powerservice and so far, so good. Temps got down to -36 in northern Iowa last week and I had no problems rolling down the interstate at 70 mph. I must also add that I run number 1 diesel when the temps drop below 10 degress.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
They must have additives here. We've been to -30 here, I've never added a thing and not a problem with the fuel. I did plug it in at that temp for the first time.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I heard last week (rumor?) that a school district in one of the northern states had all their school busses gel up because they were mandated to use biodiesel and they were all inoperative. They had to shut down school. We should be eating the corn, not turning it into a costly and ineffective fuel.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Bio-Diesel comes from soy beans and not corn. the alcohol in gas comes from corn. Coming from PA don't they have blended diesel which is #1 and #2. Still the anti gelling won't hurt.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We use Power serve and have never had a problem with a gel up. And last winter the day we left for Florida is was -20 degree wind chill.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I buy diesel at one of two local truck stops so the turnover is good. I did some reading on the Duramax Diesel Forum and I see that this is a frequently occuring problem in very cold weather. I am told that this new ULSD is part of the problem. I am not alone. I think that my truck would have been fine and I could have continued to Florida if it had not set a code (Low Rail Pump Pressure) and went to Limp Mode. We are going to try this trip again tomorrow morning. It should be warmer in Florida this next week. 26 degrees in Gainesville tonight!! WOW
Old 01-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
When we moved to Montana in 2002, the natives told us that no matter what kind of winter fuel or additive we used in our diesel-powered truck and SUV, we still needed to plug in the block heaters when the temperatures dropped. Even when it's been -40 for a week straight, our truck always starts.

I had a Ford Excursion, diesel-powered, the first 4 years we were here, and it never failed to start either, until the last year I owned it. I began to have problems starting it, even though it was plugged in every night. The local Ford dealer couldn't find the problem, although the service department replaced about $400 worth of parts while trying to fix it. The last time I had to be towed in, I said, "Now, you guys have checked the block heater--it's working and the plug is good, right?" No, they hadn't checked it and yes, that was the problem; the wire between the plug and the heater had been chewed by mice, so my car had never been protected by that heater because the plug was dead. (The Ford dealer refunded most of my money for those parts I didn't need, and last year, he went out of business.)

We had an extremely rough winter last year, with several months of -30 to -40 temperatures day after day, but no problems starting our truck, ever, and it was out in the cold because we didn't have a garage or carport. We did plug it in when we weren't driving it. The SUV I'm now driving uses gas, but we still plug it in when the temperatures drop below 10.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I buy my fuel from one company (Irving). They add ULSK (Ultra Low Sulfur Kerosene) to ULSD diesel to meet winter standards. The diesel fuel has also been refined to have a low wax content. It never gets down to below -20C here so I can't speak to lower temperatures but my engine starts without a hitch. I have a full front cover installed for the winter for faster warm-up. I have used the block heater but my manual says it only cuts in if the temperature drops below -18C. I think it actually cuts in a little above that.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I have been using Howe's since 1998. Last week I decided to try Power Service as I got a bottle from a friend who returned to gas vehicles. I decided to stick with what worked in my Chevy and sneak the Power Service into my wife's Jeep diesel, and save the good stuff for the Chevy. Both vehicles were plugged in and the temp was -21. Guess what? Her Jeep never missed a beat but my truck went to work at 20 mph with the check engine light on. Now both vehicles use Power Service and we are going below zero this weekend. We will see what happens.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have ran Power service when it gets below zero here in NW Iowa. Trick I do to help prevent gelling, is I change my fuel filters during the last oil change before winter. Dealer says to replace about 15-20k miles so I have always changed them every fall. Normally the gelled fuel is in the filter where there is already a restriction. Seemed to be a good idea as I have ran #2 all year except one morning last week when it got to -29 and I chickened out and put in 10 gallons of #1. Otherwise straight #2 and power service every tank.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have only used 911. Am I making a mistake here? My fuel gelled up 4 or 5 years ago and that solve my problem and got me back on the road. So now when it gets cold (read that in the teens and below) I may put in a qt of 911.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #17
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
I only use the white bottles of Power service in almost every tank while it's zero or colder. Our fuel may be different here than yours also. Some areas mix some additives into there fuel before they sell it to the stations. But I carry a red bottle of 911 for if I would ever jell up. It's extra insurance, just in case. The red "911" is for after your fuel is already jelled it will help dissolve it to get you back on the road.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Well, we finally made it to Florida last Friday and have been enjoying the 70 degree temps. We will be heading home this Saturday morning. I see that several of you have changed to #1 fuel. I believe in this part of the country I don't have that choice. It is #2 fuel or nothing. There is kerosene available but it is NOT for motor vehicle fuel and it is not low sulfer. I have talked to Rick the mechanic and it got down to 15 degrees below zero again last Sunday and more of the same gelling took place in the area in which I live. He blames it in part to the fuel cooler that Chevy has added to the line. I wouldn't know. I believe that my truck became a fair weather truck and it really likes this Florida weather.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Wouldn't it be nice to stay where it is always 70-80 degrees everyday. I can only dream of that day and wait till I get to leave the stick house behind for good.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:51 AM   #20
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
The only thing I can see wrong in this thread is that you folks should be in the Lower 48 during the winter and save the money your using for anti-gell products and use it on golf or some other warm weather activity. Whenever it gets close to freezing we move further south, works for me. Got this idea from my next door neighbor in New Rockford, ND. Took his advice and have been doing it ever since. Getting cool here, time to start planning our move.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote