Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
lmurphy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2328
TV Antenna, Can't lower antenna

Help! Our antenna on our unit won't come down. The receptacle right above the bed came apart and now we can't lower the antenna.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?

lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We had one break a few years back, Al got "parts" somewhere, sorry, I don't know where, but would suggest RV dealer or call the manufactuer of the antenna.

good luck
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
lmurphy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2328
Thanks for the input. I was hoping there was a quick fix to this little problem. We need to lower the antenna in order to get the unit under the RV cover that we purchased and haven't received as of yet.
lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Ours stuck and we sprayed Silicone spray down into the mechanism from the top and it loosened it up. There is also a plastic worm gear that goes when not properly lubricated and this sometimes causes what happened to you. (don't ask me how I know this, though) The worm gear number can be gotten by calling Winegard and then you can purchase it at an RV supply. Winegard Customer Service can also probably tell you where you can find one near you.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
There should be a silver colored shaft coming down through the ceiling. There should have been a spring and the handle. If the handle came loose, the spring would have fallen off. You should be able to put the spring onto the shaft and then replace the handle. The handle is held onto the shaft with an allen set screw.

You also might try using a pair of pliers to see if the shaft will turn and allow you to turn the shaft and lower the antenna
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
rjsurfer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8922
Even if the handle assembly fell apart you can still get it to lower without too much difficulty.

The white plastic tube that fell out (along with spring & handle) has two notches that grip the assembly that rotates the antenna, you can just push the tube up so that it grabs and rotate the antenna until it's in the correct position for dropping it down. If you look up on the roof you can see the v-ramp that holds the antenna rod when it's in the down position.

When it's in the correct position just turn the silver rod counter clockwise using either the handle or a pair of pliers, this will lower the antenna.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
If all else fails an you need to move the 5er, you can always climb on the roof and take the antenna off and then replace the parts later when you get them and have time.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If the plastic part broke, get a piece of PVC pipe, and cut two slits in it the same as in the plastic piece. Stick it up into the slot and engage the two tabs, and rotate the PVC. You could even cement a "T" on the bottom for better gripping.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogue

If all else fails an you need to move the 5er, you can always climb on the roof and take the antenna off and then replace the parts later when you get them and have time.
Bob
That's what I was thinking. Seems the antenna had a pin with an "E" clip holding it on. Been a while since I've had one apart though.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
This has happened to many times on mine. Last year I had to cut about
1/8" off the end of the rod to get a good bite on the square part of the shaft. The RV repair guy looked at mine and can't figure why it just flies apart about every 5th time I try to put it down. I even have a allen wrench on the closet shelf handy. I thought maybe cutting off part was causing to much tension on spring, but he didn't feel that could be the cause because of it being on going???
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
On an antennae related subject- How many leave the signal power booster on all the time? How many turn the booster off when you turn the tv off? I ask because I frequently forget to turn the booster off and I wonder if I'm doing damage to the booster? THANX in advance all opinions on the subject- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We never turn the booster off. Don't know for sure if that's correct but it doesn't seem to hurt
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We can't get cable reception with the booster on. We rarely use the antenna so the booster pretty much stays off.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #14
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Jack,
I had the same problem. The picture actually got worse when I turned the power on to the amplifier. I removed the two screws holding the amplifier to the wall and pulled it out for inspection. I discovered that the coax coming from the antenna and the coax coming from the cable TV input (At the left rear of the Monty) were reversed. I connected them properly and the amplifier worked as advertised. If your amplifier has failed for whatever reason you can buy a new one from the factory. What a difference! Hope this helped.
John & Roxanne Shepphird
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
LMurphy,
First you need to recover all the parts. There should be a crank handle, a spring, and the antenna rotator. You will also need an allen wrench that will fit the crank handle. The batwing antenna from the outside looks like a capitol T. The top of the T must be pointing from front to back or you won't be able to crank the antenna down. I would try the following: First verify that the antenna is fully extended vertical. Next take the largest part you have and look at it. Notice it is round except for a little point on the edge. Next look at the ceiling. The plastic part also has a point on it. These two points have to be lined up before cranking the antenna down. When the two points are lined up, this means the T (Batwing) is facing front to back. Put the large piece in place and line up the two points. Now get the handle and put it on the shaft. Hopefully it will easily crank the antenna down. You may have to use your allen wrench and tighten it onto the shaft before cranking it down. Just a note here. Most RV dealers have replacement parts for your antenna. The shaft is sold too long so it will work for roofs of different thicknesses. That means once in place the shaft needs to be cut to the correct length for your specific roof. Too long a shaft also makes it difficult to crank up and down the antenna. Time to make the final assembly. Assuming the antenna is down, take the largest plastic part and put in place and line up the two pointers. Next put the spring on the shaft. Now take the handle, put it on the shaft and using the allen wrench tighten the allen screw to hold the handle on the shaft. This next part is hard to convey. If the shaft is the correct length you should only be able to pull the ring with the point down enough to clear the stops and it will almost be rubbing the crank handle. If you clear the stops (all those little dimples)and still have a lot of shaft left it means your shaft is too long and needs to be shortened. Whew! That was kinda wordy. If you still need help PM me and I'll call you. Usually it's an easy fix and not too expensive if you have to buy replacement parts. BTW I have left my amplifier on and after sitting for the winter found my batteries drained when I returned. I leave mine on 24/7 when on the road and when she's sitting I turn everything off including the antenna amplifier. Hope this helped,
John and Roxanne Shepphird
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

We never turn the booster off. Don't know for sure if that's correct but it doesn't seem to hurt
Don and Judy,

Ditto above. In fact, I just went to look and found that our booster has been on for almost 2 years.....not sure if it works or not, we have never used it.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #17
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lmurphy

Help! Our antenna on our unit won't come down. The receptacle right above the bed came apart and now we can't lower the antenna.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
This is my first post so please be nice. I see a lot of good help and information on the issue you have. Thing to consider is with the handle and spring off won't there be a chance that water will leak in. Our other SOB 5th wheel had the handle fall off while traveling and the antenna is somewhere on Hwy 395. Didn't even know it was gone until I wondered why light was coming through ceiling.
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #18
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Just a side note, the booster, like the CO and propane detector are parasitic DC loads so if you are storing your unit for any length of time without AC power available you may want to open your battery disconnect to prevent drawing down your battery.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 02pullin

This is my first post so please be nice. I see a lot of good help and information on the issue you have. Thing to consider is with the handle and spring off won't there be a chance that water will leak in. Our other SOB 5th wheel had the handle fall off while traveling and the antenna is somewhere on Hwy 395. Didn't even know it was gone until I wondered why light was coming through ceiling.
First of all, welcome aboard. Never be afraid to ask any question here. There is no such thing as a dumb question. If there were, I'd be king of dumb. The moderators here are good about not allowing members to berate each other. Or at least they do something about it when it happens, which is rare on this forum.

I don't know positively but I'd guess you are correct about possible water intrusion with the antenna removed and nothing done to fill the hole. I'd hope this would be a temporary situation.

Again, welcome aboard.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote