Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
rickbsgu

M.O.C. #6938
Question for 3665RE owners about slideouts...

Hi, all -

Looking to get a 3665RE, maybe. Love the layout.

The question is this: can you get to the interior/use anything while the slideouts are in? Just looking at the floorplan, it looks like you have to extend the slideouts if you want to do anything at all.

Question is because when I'm on the road, I don't want to have to extend the slideouts to sleep, fix a sandwich, etc.

Any thoughts/experience appreciated.

Thanx,
rickb

rickbsgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We don't have a 3665, but the bathroom/bedroom layout in our 3465 is the same. We can get to the bathroom with the slides in, but the bedroom access is blocked with the slide. So far that has not been a problem for us. If the slide is extended about 14" it is possible to get into the bedroom. The dining room table has a swivel top and can be turned for access to the living room area. We like our 3465 because the kitchen is accessible when the slides are in.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
We just took delivery on our's today. You can get to the bed and bathroom. The Kitchen is another story however. I have not really looked,but you might get to the fridge by just putting out the kitchen slide. Not sure though.The rest the the dinette and living room area you need to put the slide out.The slides can be switched to open one slide of your choice if needed.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
rickbsgu

M.O.C. #6938
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by et2

We just took delivery on our's today. You can get to the bed and bathroom. The Kitchen is another story however. I have not really looked,but you might get to the fridge by just putting out the kitchen slide. Not sure though.The rest the the dinette and living room area you need to put the slide out.The slides can be switched to open one slide of your choice if needed.
Awesome and congratulations!!

That's the impression I get, looking at the layout.

Can you amplify that last about the slides being '...switched to open one slide of your choice...'? Are the slides not individually controlled by default?

Another question - do the slides seal ok if they're partially extended? That might be a solution, as well.

thanx,
rickb
Old 11-13-2008, 03:44 AM   #5
Binky

M.O.C. #8306
We have a 3665RE 10th anniversary edition. We can get to the refrigerator and bathroom but not the bedroom. I turn off all other slide rooms at the remote control system and bring out the bedroom. If the slide is brought halfway out it does not seem to seal properly to keep out rain and wind.

Binky
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
We've had our 10th Anniversay edition since August, and I'd have to say you'd need to be pretty skinny to get into the bedroom with the slides closed . I've accessed the rear area (with the tv) when it was closed up, but it involved a climb lengthwise over the kitchen counter while ducking under the cabinet.
The fridge and the bathroom are easily obtainable and really handy when pulling. You can make a rest stop, get lunch, and be on your way whenever you wish. I think it's a great design.

Quote:
quote:Can you amplify that last about the slides being '...switched to open one slide of your choice...'? Are the slides not individually controlled by default?
Another question - do the slides seal ok if they're partially extended? That might be a solution, as well.
The slides are controllable from the service panel (ods front) driver's side in the very front. There are four rotating knobs that open or close the flow of hydraulic fluid to each room. It they are all on, all rooms will extend when you you run the pump. If you just want the bedroom open, close the valves for the kitchen, living room, and aux (4th) slider. It is all pretty slick should you need to open up just one room to get something, or close/exercise just one room to work on/clean something.

I don't believe you'd have any real seal with room partially open, there is a squeegee type rubber around the room, but you can easily poke your hand through to the inside while the room is stopped midway. I think rain would get in, especially if accompanied by any wind.

We've been full-timing for just over a month now, and have experienced zero problems with this unit. ... well .. tring to figure out the cable tv wiring was a challenge but it's working just fine now. We are happy to be calling this 'home'.

sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
rickbsgu

M.O.C. #6938
I'm so jazzed for you new owners!!! Very encouraging.

So, then, are the valves outside the unit? But the switch is on the inside?
I'll have to look at the spec, again, and see if I can discern that.

Hm. Here's another question - let's say you have one extended, now you want to extend the rest - you just open up all the valves and pump away?

I guess that makes sense...

Thanx,
rickb
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Rickb -
You have three different ways to operate the unit - the outside control panel, the remote control and the inside panel. Up until the 10th anniversary edition, the inside panel was all that was available. We are looking at the 365 Big Sky which is the same floorplan. The kitchen access should be similar to our 3400.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Those rubber strips you see when the slide is open are "wiper seals." Their intent is to squeegee any moisture off of the sidewall when retracting. With the slide in, on the inside of the unit, you will see the rubber molding that goes around the perimeter of the slide. It only seals when the slide is fully extended. The same for the rubber seal around the outside perimeter, only seals when fully retracted.

Edited: The wiper seals may give you some protection during a light rain, straight down rain, but any wind may cause moisture to get inside. Also, when you extend your slide part way, go around and look at the wiper seal. If it is not out flat, take the awning rod and gently go up the inside of the wiper seal to to get it flat against the sidewall.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote