Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
thinking of tires

I wonder how many tires blow due to overloading by the way the 5th is hitched?

I see a lot of rigs going down the road with the front end noticeably higher than the rear. To me this would suggest that the blown tire would be the rear axle one as it is supporting a larger portion of the load than what is being supported by the front axle???

Mission tires may not be worth a dime but could they be getting at least a partially bad rap?

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree with your observations. but at the same time regarding the Mission Tires, if there was not a deserved bad rap, why would Tireco willingly replace them all without putting up any resistance. Once they fail, they replace them, no questions asked (at least that was our experience). The odd part is they want the failed tires returned to them at their expense. I interpret that (my opinion only) to mean that they don't want the failed tires out there, but would rather gather them up to do who knows what with??? I remember when people in the rural areas used to slice tires in a manner to make a flowery effect and use them as planters in their yards, makes me wonder if there is an overpopulation of Mission Tire planters somewhere in our country since I am sure they are not sending them back to China. This post is solely intended to satisfy my propensity for rambling, inane, non-sensical statements, and should be viewed accordingly
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bingo - they could also be grinding them up and using them in playgrounds, and filler in concrete being poured (both legitimate uses of used tires by the way). I had an issue with a tires of the Merit brand, the wholesaler didn't even want them back. Told me to dispose of them In Accordance With (IAW) state Law so the local tire dealer got them (plus 50 cent disposal fee from me).

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Maybe, but that little thing called the equalizer automatically adjusts some of that differential.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Another tire failure issue for all tires is the speed rating on the side of the trailer tire. Bet it says 65 mph max. How many times have you been passed by trailers/5th wheels that you know are running on those 65 mph tires at 70-80 mph? I wonder if any of them think its the tire's fault? I sure am not defending Missions, but it sure can't be helping the problem.

I run at 62-63 mph on the e-way.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
We have had our 2008 300RK Montana about 3 weeks now.. and it has Mission tires on it.. I have been reading that people have a lot of problems with them.. Should I have something to worry about.. The tires were manufactured in 2007... hope they have improved them.. I will check for cracks and bulges in them for sure.. after reading some of the forum questions and answers...
This is a great forum for the Montana's
Thanks..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I agree with your observations. but at the same time regarding the Mission Tires, if there was not a deserved bad rap, why would Tireco willingly replace them all without putting up any resistance. Once they fail, they replace them, no questions asked (at least that was our experience). The odd part is they want the failed tires returned to them at their expense. I interpret that (my opinion only) to mean that they don't want the failed tires out there, but would rather gather them up to do who knows what with??? I remember when people in the rural areas used to slice tires in a manner to make a flowery effect and use them as planters in their yards, makes me wonder if there is an overpopulation of Mission Tire planters somewhere in our country since I am sure they are not sending them back to China. This post is solely intended to satisfy my propensity for rambling, inane, non-sensical statements, and should be viewed accordingly
Bingo
Well said, Bingo!

Maybe someone will award you a magniloquent "Yard Planter" made from your very own extemporaneous suggestion, converting your previously owned tires which can be used for the elaborate decorativeness for the up-coming season. Perhaps, Mr. Claus will deliver an even higher quality elastic hydrocarbon polymer disc for the decorative aspect of your recently purchased living requirements.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lfw

We have had our 2008 300RK Montana about 3 weeks now.. and it has Mission tires on it.. I have been reading that people have a lot of problems with them.. Should I have something to worry about.. The tires were manufactured in 2007... hope they have improved them.. I will check for cracks and bulges in them for sure.. after reading some of the forum questions and answers...
This is a great forum for the Montana's
Thanks..
lfw
I myself haven't had any experience with the Mission tires so I can't answer your question. However, as you stated this is a great forum and you are in the right place to ask all of your questions. Welcome to the
"Montana Owners Club" forums!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Does anybody here speak Kentucky-ese to decipher what the heck Bill said up there??? ...and I say tars instead of tiiiirrrres!!! Take that!!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
ifw, Just a suggestion, but, put away some cash to replace the tires, then run on them, BUT keep a good eye out for any bulges or cracking. Not everyone has probs with them. At the first sign of problems, Call Tireco and follow their instructions. OR at the first sign of probs, junk them and buy something better.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Mission tires has developed a bad reputation without any one's help.
YES, tires can and will fail due to overloading such as illapah's theory.
YES, tires can and will fail when operating at speeds higher than the speed rating for that particular tire.
I am 100% sure the above factors did play a part in some of the Mission tire failures.
BUT, I am also 100% sure that those failures were insignificant compared to the total number of failures caused by manufacturer defect. I also feel a great percentage of the failures contributed to overload and speed failures would still have occurred eventually had the tires been given the proper care. I say this because my Mission tires were not driven at 65+ miles per hour and my Mission tires were not overloaded and yet 3 out of 4 failed from manufacturer defect.
Some of you may recall back in the early days of these Mission failures I was defending the Mission Tires. I was in the tire business long enough to realize that every tire manufacturer has good batches and bad batches on the production line but Mission problems continued well beyond those batches. In my opinion, in order to compete, quality control was put on the back burner and getting them out the door became the priority.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
My circumstances:

Rig is 1000 lbs under GVWR, inflation pressure checked daily while traveling and with indicators on the tires I get a rough check during my walk around every stop.
99% of the time stay under 65 even when the speed limit is 70. Our 3000RK does run with a slight nose up attitude. My first tire failure was on street front tire and I caught before it blew (saw bubble on a walk around). Second failure was on curb front tire on way to Fall Rally. Was a blow out that damaged skirt and underside of rig. Third failure was noted on street rear tire (both fronts still less than 1 month of use). Tread had seperated. Didn't notice but folks standing around at the Rally came running up to let us know it was wobbling all over. When the rig wasn't moving you couldn't tell.

My belief with respect to the willin replacement and recapture of bad tires is this "voluntary" action by Tireco is financially motivated. IF they didn't readily replace the tires, complaints would be filed with the NTSB and could lead to an expensive recall. Recapturing the tires gets rid of the evidence and prevents someone from sending the tires to the NTSB even though the company replaced the tires, no questions asked. How many folks have failures that don't know they can call Tireco and get free replacements. Even if XX% (fill in ANY number you want) of the owners are taking advantage of the replacements that is still cheaper than 100% recall and replacement. Mission tires are no longer being manufactured so soon the problem will go away for the company and the financial impact will be minimized. I could be wrong but don't believe the company is doing it because it is "the right thing to do" - A voluntary recall, sure, they would get credit in my book for that but this, they are minimizing their potential loss - period. JMHO
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just my opinion but I think you are 100 correct.Less expensive to buy back a few hundrd tires than a few thousand.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Has anyone tried to just get a refund for the defective Missions rather than get replacement tires from Tireco? I'm about to call them to authorize shipment of my 5 repacement tires. But... If they will just do a payment(refund) instead I would then maybe buy better US made tires. Anyone know what the warranty is on the replacement tires?
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

Has anyone tried to just get a refund for the defective Missions rather than get replacement tires from Tireco? I'm about to call them to authorize shipment of my 5 repacement tires. But... If they will just do a payment(refund) instead I would then maybe buy better US made tires. Anyone know what the warranty is on the replacement tires?
They will want to "inspect" the tires. (I have my ideas about how they inspect them!) I posted a "Tireco update" in another section. You must do what your situation mandates, but personally, I wouldn't want the replacements they provide.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I talked to them earlier and they committed to sending me 5 replacment tires but we delayed that until I got to AZ. I assumed they were going to send me the 5 tires and possibly ask for me to return the original Missions later for inspection but they didn't mention it. I don't intend to allow them to charge me later if their inspection of the tires yields less than 5 bad tires. I don't know how they could charge me at present.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

I talked to them earlier and they committed to sending me 5 replacment tires but we delayed that until I got to AZ. I assumed they were going to send me the 5 tires and possibly ask for me to return the original Missions later for inspection but they didn't mention it. I don't intend to allow them to charge me later if their inspection of the tires yields less than 5 bad tires. I don't know how they could charge me at present.
Dean, my response was directed at the possibility of a refund, not replacements from Tireco.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #18
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
As for the nose high position, I can atest, either through ignorance or shear stupidity, that it can pose problems. My first 5er was a Sandpiper RK model with the fresh water tank located under the rear dining seat. We didn't realize that traveling with almost 800 lbs of water behind the right rear tire, and with the rig nose high, would create such a problem. After two blowouts on the RR, and the comments of a helpful State Trooper, who was as puzzled as we were, did we realize what was happening. Once the light came on, we had the axles reversed and only carried enough water for emergency use on the road, the problem went away. The tires were Goodyears.

All that being said, I would think with the tanks on the Montanas being in between the frame rails, I'm sure located to provide better balance when traveling, and the improved suspension, that the tires become suspect immediately. This makes me want to go inspect my tires as soon as possable as this is my first experience with Mission tires. I'm thinking a good set of Michelins are looking really good now. I hate the thought of spending that much money, but when I consider the value of my coach, truck, and our lives, it's a small price to pay.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My Missions went bad in July of 07. I replaced them all at Tireco's insistence and they picked up my Missions. After about two months I received a check from Tireco for $483.00. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #20
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Glenn,

Your statement that you originally defended the Mission tires is, in my opinion, very stand up of you. Good for you.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote