Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mission Tire Consult needed - TIRECO UPDATE

I can definitely count my blessings after my discovery today. On the return trip from Gettysburg, we heard a slight thump from the rig. Got out, checked all of the tires (not the insides) and could see no visible damage. After parking the rig in the driveway, after a couple of days one of the Mission's was flat. I aired it up so I could monitor it through the week, three days and it went from 80 to 20 psi. Today was the day to take it off and see what was going on. Not good, a chunk was missing out of the tire and subsequent investigation showed one of the tires on the other side had a noticeable bubble on the inside. Driver's side was the rear tire with the bubble, passenger side was the front tire with the chunk missing. My question for those in the know is based on the following pictures, what is your opinion on the possibility of a Tireco replacement claim. I am going to talk to the dealer tomorrow to see what assistance they can provide in the process.

What sayeth thee, oh tire gurus of the MOC???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Bingo,
That looks like an accident waiting to happen. I'm far from being an expert, but I just yesterday got rid of the missions and had the G614s installed. Cheap no!!!!!!!!!!! but I feel better knowing that I did something. My old missions have roughly 1000 miles and are 1 year old. Not sure I would let anyone other the trash man have them, but would be willing to talk if you are in a jamb.

Mike
msieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mike,
I am hoping to get the dealer to let me pay the difference in price for the tire upgrade. I am thinking very seriously about the Michelin Ribs. I have to do something and if I have to pay, so be it. Have a nine hour pull to Myrtle at the end of July and a seventeen hour pull to Destin, Fl in November, not to mention 3-4 hours to Staunton for the Mid-Atlantic rally and other local trips.
Bingo
Old 06-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Bingo,

Also look at all of your tires right where the sidewall meets the rim. While inspecting mine this morning I noticed about an inch worth of really tiny cracks. You should have no problem with having tireco replace your tires. They were very friendly and helpful while on the phone with me earlier today.
Good Luck!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Bingo, please keep us posted. Maybe I can get Tireco to buy these things back.

Mike
msieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Put in a claim with Tireco.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Already called them Ozz, got an answering machine that stated a claims person would call back within 24 hours, we shall see.
Bingo
Old 06-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Mike I just did the same as you. Mine only had 2000 miles. Today I went to the G614's and after seening Bingo's problem I am so glad I did.
Like you said,Pricey but well worth it!
What I don't understand,Tireco knows the problem and is willing to replace damage tires or if a blow out has done damage to the trailer it seems they don't hesitate paying for the damage.
They need to recall these tires. God forbid,if someone gets hurt or worst yet kill, they already admitted a problem and are setting them selfs up for a big lawsuit. IMOHO!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
WOW! Bingo an angel must have been watching over you guys.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry to see that Bingo. Glad you got through your trip. I'm just waiting for the opportunity to replace with the G614s, hopefully next month. We're climbing Wolf Creek Pass tomorrow morning, hope these missions hold together one more week.

I'm not interested in anything Tireco has - free or not. I'm convinced they are just renaming the same old junk tire. Even with a recall, I think I would have to ignore it. I don't want to be the test bed for their next generation of china bombs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Sorry to see that Bingo. Glad you got through your trip. I'm just waiting for the opportunity to replace with the G614s, hopefully next month. We're climbing Wolf Creek Pass tomorrow morning, hope these missions hold together one more week.

I'm not interested in anything Tireco has - free or not. I'm convinced they are just renaming the same old junk tire. Even with a recall, I think I would have to ignore it. I don't want to be the test bed for their next generation of china bombs.
I agree Brad, but It sure would be nice if Tireco would reimburse something towards the tire of you choice.
Jack
Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have no desire to get into a discussion of the brands Tireco carries. Yes, I do agree that the Missions are just 4 accidents waiting to happen but that has no bearing on their other brands.

Bingo, From the photos you have provided I see "ply seperation" which is manufacturer defect and is absolutely covered under warranty from TireCo. You need to contact TireCo ASAP. Explain that you have ply seperation. You may even suggest Emailing the photos to them.
You can go back to Montana or the RV dealer but in all likely hood they will direct you to the tire manufacturer or the distributor which is TireCo. Just like automobile manufacturers and dealers the RV manufacturer or the dealer does not warrant the tires

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #13
Annem
Established Member

M.O.C. #4406
Bingo, So glad that happened in your yard and not on the road, once you get new tires you will have peace of mind. I see you booked Topsail again this year, we will be going to St Andrews State Park we got a spot right on the water. Good luck with you claim.
Annem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I do believe and have said before that the tires made in China are being renamed, Mission tires are now Freestar etc, there are so many names from China you can't even keep up with them. I have Mission and Freestar's on a car trailer and a Gooseneck trailer. I don't pull the Car trailer except for when we travel, I put hand tools and lawnmowers and its really only used for storage and the Gooseneck is all steel so let them blow. But will not run them on our 5th wheel. If and when we replace the Missions/Freestar's they want be from China. The RV industry is playing with fire putting those China Bombs on the 5th wheels. Some one will have to die before they quit buying those cheap tires. Why do you think tireco doesn't hesitate to change them out? Good Luck.. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
jackflash, When I got mine replaced last year, I was told that Tireco was JUST the warranty company that some manufacturers use and not the actual manufacturer. I think the tires meet the MINIMUM standards from the DOT and that the manufacturers "Play the Odds" when it comes to repairs. After all, and I have said this before, WE will never know the full extent of the problem because no one will release figures as to how many sets of junk tires that Tireco replaces for folks.

Tireco is quick to change them out because that's where they make their money, IMHO.

I don't know the numbers of people posting on this forum. I know we are up to about 8,000 member numbers but how many are active, and how many of the total, actually have problems with the Missions we will probably never know. It may, in fact, be just a small percentage of the total. This number may be quite acceptable to the Manuf, again, playing the odds.......

I know this doesn't help us, but a letter from Keystone to all owners suggesting they have their tires checked by a competent tire dealership would go along way to help bolster confidence in Keystone that they are aware of the problem and are trying to do something about it. In the meantime, my suggestion to all owners would be to replace the Missions now before something drastic happens, after all, this is a safety issue and we are the only ones concerned about OUR safety....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #16
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Well said Phil!
Jack
Old 06-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
It has been discussed here time and time again and as stated Get rid of the Chinese junk. The thing that concerns me is what is leaking out of the backing plate and down on the rim and tire? I would say that you need to remove that hub and see if it is grease or what as nothing should be leaking from the hub. Let us know please.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
In response, in part to exav8tr, question/statement about 8000 members.

from our front page, top right of the page, you will find:

"There are 23722 Posts in 2170 Topics and 4473 Users"

So, even tho our member numbers go above 8000, we only have about 4500 actual users. Some people come, visit, and disappear, I think that is where the lost numbers went too????

now, back to the subject of this thread:

WOW BINGO!! Let us know what Tireco says, eh???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The rig is scheduled at the dealer for Tuesday to hopefully get the slide situation resolved. I guess Tireco is a Monday-Friday operation so I will call them again Monday morning. Dealer said if they agree on replacements to have them shipped there and they will get them mounted for us (at our cost of course). I will use Tireco's replacements (provided they do) for the rest of this season, then Michelin's are going on the rig this winter in preparation for next years journeys, fun and adventure!! I was one of the naysayers on these tires (as I am sure everyone recalls) and will never again assume anything. I can only hope that everyone and I do want to emphasize everyone with Mission tires needs to keep a close eye on them (including the inside under the rig). I am truly thankful for being blessed that no damage occured as a result of our tires!! The worst part of it all is that DW got the opportunity to once again go into that Big Sky that the dealer has on the lot. Rear living, side aisle model with the Big Screen and the same kitchen layout as our 3400. I have got to quit taking her with me!! We will definitely keep everyone informed with the tire and slide situation.
Bingo
Old 06-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #20
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ahoy there Bingo! Good to know a higher order is watching over you and yours. Hazmic has a point what's up with the drip lines??
- I would think any grease would come from behind the plate...so this is very odd...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote