Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
2012 Toyota DRW Diesel

Check it out:

Toyota Diesel

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Looks like the truck debate just got bigger. I love my Silverado, but I also can't complain about my Toyota Camry as a daily driver, either. Time will tell.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It will surprise it Toyota builds this Truck. Due to the Diesel price and for sure would cost more than GM. But time will tell, when they first introduced this Truck it was said they wouldn't build this Truck? Will wait, but with the Hino Diesel engine it would be awesome. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
If it's a Toyota, you can count on two things:

- It will be a top quality, well made vehicle.
- It will be high dollar.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
... and its still only available as a short bed..... :-(
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ya - they tried to build a boat too, and that didn't go anywhere. They have absolutely the slowest response engineering department of any manufacturer I've ever seen.

It will still take them several years to market that truck, and I think they are already 5 years too late.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think they need to work on making it better looking. That's a really ugly truck, in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I was at a campgroung and saw a Tondra pulling a 5er bigger than mine.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
By 2012 Diesel fuel will be 7.50 a gallon, I'm sure a 7ltr Diesel would be something you would want.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When the president of TOYota wakes up screaming in the night, he just had a dream about american diesel pickup trucks.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

When the president of TOYota wakes up screaming in the night, he just had a dream about american diesel pickup trucks.
Lynwood
Probably not, Toyota has been building diesel motors for years, they make a great in line 6ix cylinder. it's just the EPA requirements that probably prevent this type truck and power plant comming into America. also if I remember right Toyota Co. has all there bills paid, so it's all going into the banks. not like our CEO's of the big four, all over paid.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Brad - Toyota actually has the quickest design turnaround of any of the major auto companies. The book on the process, the Toyota Development System, is available through Amazon. They just happen to be very selective on choosing the markets they want to compete in first. The Toyota Production System, the reason for their success in quality and productivity, is the longest running production system used in the world today. It is copied in one form or another by just about every company practicing Lean principles in the world today. In fact, I did my Master's thesis on it back in the early nineties. As for pay, Toyota doesn't skrimp there, either. The average production worker in Georgetown, Ky makes six figures. Most are college graduates. The two biggest reasons that people get fired at Toyota are attendance and failure to follow standardized work. Oh, and the president is among the highest paid in the world also. When you're the most productive car company in the world and sell at a slightly higher price, I think that means you make more profit.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Could be Ron, but from my perspective they are slower than Moses:

Before they could get their Lexus V-8 powered fiberglass ski boat out of prototype after they announced it (2 years), Mastercraft dropped the Cadillac Northstar V-8 into their own boat and took the entire market away from Toyota.

While Toyota was still pushing the 22R OHC 4-cylinder in their Landcruiser and SR5 pickup as the largest power option, Dodge was dropping the 318 V-8 in the midsize Dodge Dakota. Dodge could do 0-60 in a faster time up a 6% grade pulling a boat than a Toyota SR-5 could do flat out level ground towing nothing. To me, thats when I completely lost interest in the overweight Totota line that insisted on still using the valve seal oil leaking smoking 22R Engine when others at least had the V-6.

Acura could turn out new body styles at twice the pace of the Lexus, and I never understood what Toyota saw in that 15 year old ugly ES400 Lexus body style that proudly collected nearly $80K for a rear wheel drive car.

They were practically the last to incorporate AWD into thier midsize luxury market, after BMW, Volvo, even Acura had them on the sales lots.

Nothing personal, but I think everything Toyota learned they learned from us after WWII (shame on us for not listening to ourselves). Toyota has always been good in the TOY market such as high fuel efficiency, hybrids, electrics, but I think they need to leave the real car building to the Europeans and the big 3 U.S. companies.

I understand that any company can write a book about themselves. Look what Ford thought they had overcome with the Ford Taurus, the "peoples car", that actually turned out to be one of worst production model cars in their history - so bad they hesitated to use the name again to replace the Ford 500.

Sorry - no Toyotas in my Garage.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #14
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
"Sorry - no Toyotas in my Garage."

Amen Brad not in mine either!!
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Not that my vote counts, but I will join the anti Toyota crowd. Of the Asia built cars, I prefer the Honda which, I am sure, has its own set of detractors. We thoroughly enjoyed the Honda Hybrid Civic we had before we went to Hong Kong. When we purchased it, the competitor was Toyota's Precis. I drove both and the Honda won hands down.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #16
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Toyota may be the only one building trucks in a couple of years :-(

GM closing 4 truck and SUV plants in North America
Latest News
ResCap says needs more liquidity
Ford completes sale of Jaguar, Land Rover to Tata Motors

Ford to build Fiesta subcompact near Mexico City

Ford plans involuntary layoffs of salaried workers

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) -- General Motors is closing four truck and SUV plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico as surging fuel prices hasten a dramatic shift to smaller vehicles.

CEO Rick Wagoner said Tuesday before the automaker's annual meeting in Delaware the plants to be closed are in Oshawa, Ontario; Moraine, Ohio; Janesville, Wis.; and Toluca, Mexico. He also said the iconic Hummer brand may be discontinued.

Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #17
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Toyota trucks also have more recalls than Ford. There is nothing wrong with American vehicles.
Last trip I took I was looking at the cars that were broke down on the side of the road and most were foreign.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Sad day in America when you see GM shut down 4 plants. Its not just GM its the thousands of other who build things for GM. Its those workers want have the income the GM workers will have for a while longer. The ripple effect will be felt thru out America, GM was building and selling more Trucks than any company. Toyota builds good Trucks, however they have never build as good a Truck as the HD Trucks. So it remains to be seen if Toyota builds a HD Truck (1 Ton) I say it will never be buildt. I will continue to buy GM Trucks as long as they are made. Unfortunately I believe Ford is in worse shape the GM, the Ford Super Duty Trucks is getting terrible fuel mileage, and thats sad also because the Super Duty is a great Truck. GBY.....

I almost forgot Thanks to the Congress and the Tree huggers, you see what you have cause.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #19
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I realize there is a lot of anti Honda/Toyota feeling out there. But, the facts are facts. The April issue of Consumer Reports is their annual car issue...I know...there is anti CU folks out there too. However this data comes from tests in controlled environments and feedback from millions of owners.

They make an annual list of what they call the "Best Of The Best." They are vehicles from 1998 to 2007 models that have performed well in road tests and have had several years of better than average reliability:

- Total number of vehicles listed: 63
- Of those, 22 are Toyota/Lexus, 14 are Honda/Acura, 20 are other Japanese, four are US (a Buick, two Lincolns and a Pontiac), two are German and one Swedish. There are no Chevy, Dodge, or Ford models. There is one truck (a Tundra).

I buy US trucks, but the DW has driven Honda products for years. Sure they all have lemons, but the numbers don't lie, dollar for dollar a Honda/Toyota is hard to beat. Heard on the radio today where the latest rumor is that Buick is closing...no surprise.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #20
Bill and Bobbi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5292
I for one would hate to see the US automakers and the thousands of jobs rippling out into the economy, dry up any further. My Father in law served 38 years at Cadillac and a brother in law retired from ford with over thirty years. Our children and grand children are facing difficult times in the future job markets.
Buying american may save your and my jobs as well as our kids. The RV industry can't do business with people that have no money...
Bill and Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote