Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
A/C cooling suggestions

Yesterday, we had our 1st opportunity to use our a/c, an unusual heat wave in the SF area. It was about 95 outside (and inside when we arrived), so we had the a/c on with the fan on high with the 'quick cool' vent open on the main unit. (We only have one a/c unit)

It got down to about 78 but no lower. I tried cracking a window but that didn't seem to help lower the temp. The temp coming from the unit seemed very cool but it didn't seem to circulate much around the rig.

Any suggestions?

By the way, we are backed into an ocean front space in Pacifica, CA where fog is the norm, another beautiful sunny day and some dolphins just swam by...........!!!!!

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
After a couple of weeks at Myrtle last year in the 90's and cooling only to about 78-80 (just like you), we quickly realized that the only solution was the addition of a 2nd unit (other's say that one unit works, but it never did cool enough for us). If you don't have one, it merits consideration. Other alternatives involve blocking off all sunlight through top vents and windows, but we like to see out.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have you cleaned the A/C stuff lately, fins and those sponge filter thingys???

We usually turn on the ceiling fan when we run the A/C, helps spread the cool air around.

Something that has really helped us FEEL more comfy is to change out those ceiling vents. SteveR (I think it was Steve) pointed out that you could change them out getting some from a Jayco dealer that spin in and out. Al changed out 4 of our 5. The one in front of the shower, he actually left the old one on, but the one over the bed and the 3 in our main living area he changed to the spinners. The one over the bed is totally closed off, the other three are totally open. Wow, what a difference back in the back by my desk!

Course, if you have the DUMP open on the A/C, then the positions or types of the ceiling vents don't make a whole lot of difference.

On really hot days like you are experiencing, we pull the day shades and the night shades all the way down, makes considerable difference. And, on really hot days, we have stuffed pillows up in the vents we can reach, and actually figured out a way to get a bed pillow up in the shower sky light. The pillows also made a noticeable difference. You can buy stuff for that at CW, etc. But, we are only gonna use a couple of times a year, so we are saving that cash, spending it on fuel, and stuff the pillows up there when they are needed.

We rarely have days that hot, just 4 or 5 a year. And, this year, those were all in the RGV in March. So, we don't feel we need the 2nd air, BUT, if we were going to spend a LOT of time in warmer climes during the summer months, then we would love to have the second A/C.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
The second ac makes a big difference, would not be without one. Agree with others as what to try to make it more comfortable.

bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just some stuff to add -

Once the rig heats up, it takes FOREVER for the AC to cool it down - just like it does to cool down the fridge after first starting it on a hot day. Anything you can do to keep the sun out as Carol suggests is good.

Opening a window only works on swamp coolers. AC recirculates so you want everything closed tight.

When in the "quick-cool" mode, the ceiling vents are bypassed, so air will not be coming out of them or if it is, it will be minimal.

Don't forget "ice". Ours iced up a few times in San Diego because of the humidity. Once iced up, they quit cooling until you shut them down and let the ice melt (about an hour).

Last - the 3400 is probably a little big for one AC in a hot climate. It was a push on our 2955 so we opted for the 2nd AC on this one. I start the generator about an hour before we arrive and turn on both ACs just to make things tolerable once we park.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
We were in the RGV in March & April and our unit cooled fine IF we closed the main vent and put a small oscillating fan on the bedroom dresser. We also used the ceiling fan to stir the air around. It cooled even when we started it a 2 pm when it gol-durn-hot out. The temp inside never got below 75 degs but it was comfortable all the same.
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ken and Marilyn,

We have the 3400RL and would not be without our 2nd AC. When we bought it the Monty didn't have the 2nd AC. I tried talking hubby into it while we could get a 15% discount on the AC and the labor. He insisted that one AC could cool the Monty. I just gave him the wifely look that means I will say "I told you so" if we have to add it later. We camped out in June and the AC cooled the Monty, but didn't get it cold. While at CW I bought silver bubble stuff to put in every window just in case the AC wasn't cooling enough. Our first July 4th the temperatures were in the high 90's to low 100's. I had to put up the silver bubble stuff in every window and have the day/night shades down. I don't think we got below 78 degrees even at night. Needless to say we now have the second AC and I am a happy camper. I find that I can turn it on as soon as we have power to the Monty so it starts bringing the temperature down quickly. It also serves as a great noise buffer when sleeping. If you have the fan going/ AC on you can't hear your neighbors diesel fire up, nor the Harley that is going out for a morning ride. We normally only have to run the AC in the bedroom and leave the second AC set higher in the living room. I would do without other things inorder to have the second AC, but heah I can't sleep when it is hot. I also like the idea that if one AC kicks off we have the second one for our cat.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I had the one unit in our TT and it wasn't enough. When I purchased this one we had a second AC installed in the bedroom. HUGE DIFFERENCE! Now the one unit isn't struggling all day to keep everything just under hot. Now I can turn on both and have it cool in less than an hour after setting up. We have some major humidity here but its no longer a problem with the second AC unit.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote