Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #1
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Driver Licence Restrictions

There is a new drivers licence class in Ontario..
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan.../classalic.htm
its a A class(Commercial truck driver) with an "R" restriction for the RV driver.........basically its the same test as the Truck Driver takes and same Medical.......but you are only able to tow an RV and not drive a Tractor trailer.......the weight restrictions that separate the ordinary Driver licence (a "G" class) from a Commercial Drivers licence ("A") has not changed (10125 lbs) from prior years... I have a "G" licence and may have to upgrade to the "A".....before I do I will weigh my units at the scales and then make the decision based on the weights....for now I ask this question?????..........my RV weighs as per the permit 9830 lbs.....and when I put my "stuff" in there I am sure we will be over the restriction limit by a few pounds...Packing and storing intelligently will help me keep it down... once I attach to the truck the weight of the trailer does not change but the distribution of that weight does..... The pin weight is 2100 lbs which goes onto the trucks weight.....Does this mean that.....the weight of the trailer has now reduced to 7730 lbs????? or more simply.....whatever the trailer weighed would be reduced by the pin weight?????? and thus,,,putting my towed weight well below the 10125 lb maximum of my licence???????

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The MTO counts the weight of the trailer as that "transmitted to the road through the trailer wheels".

I've got to read up on that new license. May comment more later.

On edit: the link you gave does not work because of the trailing periods, Would you mind editing them out?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Thanks.. I should have recalled that sentence, Ive studied this stuff long enough...When I spoke to the official at the MTO Dr Lic office in Owen Sound.....she advised.......the cost of the test(s) was about $100. plus the cost of a "A" Class drivers licence handbook and the cost of a Medical Exam...and they check your truck Registration etc for all the required permits.....If you arent legal they dont test you and you dont get to leave until you are legal.....so a person should do their homework before they go....
I was hoping that they would grandfather us in......guess not...
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
In California the license class you need is determined by the weight tag. So regardless of what your trailer actually weighs the license you need is determined by the weight tag.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I emailed the only person I know of who seems to have inside information on the MTO's plans regarding RVs. Here is his response, it may be that there is still hope for a better deal for RVers.

John,
Negotiations are still going on with the MTO in Ontario on Class A and D licenses.
The restricted Class A license is intended for
landscapers and people who tow horse trailers.
The industry is trying to negotiate longer times between medical exams for drivers of RVs.
MTO has set up a schedule for more meetings on the issue.

Garth W. Cane
Technical Director
RV Lifestyle Magaziine
1121 Invicta Dr, Oakville, ON
L6H 2R2
800-354-9145 x255

I am hoping that he is right, and some relief on axle weight limits may still be in the works.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
So,my NC license says Single vehicle less than 26001 lbs, or otw a vehicl less than 10,001 lbs is OK as long as I have the heavy tag?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
PowellsMonty,

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "heavy tag". If you mean the weight tag on our trailers then your model is probably about 14,400 or so and thus would be well over the 10,001 towing limit.

Have you researched as to whether or not you will need to get a different class of license?

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Thanks OntMont......At one time I had all the proper "ins" but since I retired folks transfer and move about, I have no way to find out where they are now. their replacements are not willing to share the inside information to someone they dont know......

STILL Waiting for a reply response to my question....IF the Trailer weighs 9830 lbs and my pin weight is 2100 lbs

... once I attach the trailer to the truck......the pin weight of 2100 lbs is carried on the trucks axles.....Does this mean that.....the weight of the trailer has now reduced to 7730 lbs????? or more simply.....whatever the trailer weighed would be reduced by the pin weight?????? ie: 9830-2100 = 7730????? and thus, decreasing the weight exerted onto the roadway by the trailer axles and putting my towed weight well below the 10125 lb maximum of my licence
Old 05-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
As I understand it, the answer to all your questions is Yes! If you run over a platform scale that weighs at three points (steering axle, drive axle, and trailer axles, the latter should be your 9830 lbs trailer weight less the 2100 lbs pin weight, or 7730 lbs "transmitted to the road". That is the weight the MTO would want see if they ever made you weigh your rig. (All of this is just considering trailer weight in relation to the G license weight limit of 4600 kg. Obviously you also have to consider the weight ratings of the truck axles as well.)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Here is what ICBC states sre requirements for BC.
Driver Licensing Requirements for Recreational Vehicle Operators
To tow a trailer that weighs more than 4,600 kilograms, you may need to upgrade your driver’s licence.
If you are driving an RV or towing a trailer, you need the correct class of licence for that vehicle.
Q. What type of vehicle can I operate with
a Class 5 (passenger vehicle) or Class 7
(passenger vehicle novice) driver’s licence?
A Class 5 or Class 7 licence allows you to operate
a passenger vehicle that has two axles, such as a car
or light truck, a limited speed motorcycle or any
motorhome not equipped with air brakes.
Q. How much can I tow with a passenger licence?
A Class 5 or Class 7 licence allows you to tow a trailer
weighing up to 4,600 kilograms (10,120 pounds).
The maximum weight of 4,600 kilograms will
accommodate most types of trailers that would be
towed behind a passenger vehicle or light truck.
Q. What if I want to tow a trailer that weighs more
than 4,600 kilograms?
If your trailer weighs more than 4,600 kilograms and
you have a Class 5 passenger vehicle licence, you will
need to upgrade your licence. A Class 7 licence, which
is for new drivers, cannot be upgraded to permit
towing a heavy trailer.
Q. Why do I have to upgrade my licence just to tow
a heavier trailer?
The 4,600-kilogram weight limit is similar to the
weight limits in other jurisdictions and was
established as a safety threshold between small and
large trailers. Towing a heavier trailer is more diffi cult
and requires more skill than towing a light trailer.
Q. How do I upgrade my passenger licence so I can
tow a heavier trailer without air brakes?
There are three options available for upgrading your
Class 5 licence.
One is to apply for a House Trailer endorsement. This
will allow you to tow recreational house trailers of
any weight. The second option is to apply for a Heavy
Trailer endorsement (Code 20). This will allow you to
tow any kind of trailer of unlimited weight provided it
does not have air brakes. The third option is to apply
for a Class 1, 2 or 3 commercial licence.
Q. What do I have to do to apply for a House
Trailer endorsement, Heavy Trailer endorsement
or a commercial (Class 1, 2 or 3) licence?
Each of these options involves passing a driver
knowledge test, qualifying to applicable driver
medical standards and passing a road test in an
appropriate vehicle combination for the class of
licence being applied for.
Q. Does ICBC have study material on driving
recreational vehicles?
Yes. Towing a Recreational Trailer may be downloaded
from www.icbc.com, or contact your nearest driver
licensing offi ce for a copy.
Q. Are there costs associated with upgrading my
licence?
Yes. There are fees for the knowledge test ($15.00)
and the road test ($50.00). You will not be charged
for these tests if you are 65 years old or older. There
is also a fee for your new photo driver’s licence.
Your doctor may charge a fee for the completion of
a medical report.
Q. What do I need if my trailer or RV has air brakes?
You need an air brake endorsement. If the trailer
weighs over 4,600 kilograms, you will also need
a Class 1 driver’s licence.
Q. Need more information?
Call 1-800-950-1498 or visit www.icbc.com.
The information in this fact sheet is intended to provide general information only. Nothing is intended to provide legal or
professional advice or to be relied on in any dispute, claim, action, demand or proceeding. ICBC does not accept liability for any
damage or injury resulting from reliance on the information in this publication.
www.icbc.com
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
WW, For a definition of weight you were asking about, here is how BC defines it:
Towing Capacity is the maximum weight that a vehicle is capable of towing.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum weight of the vehicle plus its
passengers and cargo

and includes the portion of the trailer weight that is placed over the towing vehicle (pin weight).

Load Capacity is the weight of the driver, passengers, fuel, cargo and vehicle options, including the portion of the trailer weight that is placed over the towing vehicle.

This is how it is defined in British Columbia, which means I am going down and getting what needs to be done.

What is frusterating to me as a visitor in BC, I had my CDL and could drive anything on the road except a haz waste tanker in the states. I was transferred to BC and they took it all away so I could only drive my car and motorcycle. I had to retest to get my class 4 to drive our church 15 passenger van. Now when I am transferrd back to the states I no longer have my cdl but must start over again. But we just go with what is required. It does seem like there is much grey area in so many things.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
I need to thank Wiarton William for pointing this out.

After reading the above posts, I decided to investigate the licence restrictions in the Province of Ontario.

We recently purchased and took delivery of a new 2009 3465SA Montana. Its dry weight is about 12000 lbs. I currently have a Class D licence.

I spoke to a few individuals from the local offices and also one in the MTO.

Here is what I found:
1. Vehicle Registration: The kilograms on my ownership stated that I was licensed for a GVWR of 3000 kilograms (6600 lbs). My truck (2500 HD D/A) already weighs just under 7000 lbs. I upgraded the vehicle registration to 3500 kgs (7700 lbs) which allows for driver, passenger and some cargo.

2. Driver Licence: As stated, I have a D licence. It allows me to drive a truck, or a truck and trailer as long as the trailer is 4600 kgs (10,000 lbs) or less. Because the Montana weighs in at about 12000 lbs dry, I must now apply for a Class A with a restriction that allows me to pull the RV but not a semi trailer.

The process of getting a Class A licence with restriction is as follows:
1. Go to Driver examination office to get a medical form and the Truck Handbook.
2. Get your doctor to complete it. (In my case $50 charge).
3. Study the Handbook.
4. Go back to the examination office and take the written test. You must have the medical form completed and bring another $85 for the MTO.
5. After passing the written test, you can schedule the road test. And, no, you can't drive your truck and trailer to the test. You must have someone with a valid Class A licence to do it.

Hope it helps. Almost all Montanas have a dry weight of over 10,000 lbs which means all Ontario Montana owners should have a Class A licence. Somehow, I doubt that many have it.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Your truck has to be licensed for the combined loaded weight of your truck (7700 lbs) plus the loaded weight of your trailer, (say about 14000lbs) for a total of about 21,700 lbs. (The Gross Combined weight rating on your Chev 2500HD is probably 22.000 lbs,) Your truck also has a GVWR of 9200 lbs, That only leaves you 1500 lbs for pin weight, your actual pin weight is probably approaching double that.

I do not have a class A license at present, I have considered getting one, but if you are over 65, you have to go through all the hoops you mentioned every year, I just do not want to do that. I am taking the advice of Garth Cane who I quoted above, (unofficial though it is). According to Garth, the MTO is not enforcing the existing regulations on private use RVers pending the introduction of more realistic licensing classes. I do have my truck licensed to pull my gross combined weight, and am legal in all other respects except my license class, and that is really because Ontario does not yet have a license class to cover private use recreational trailers. I am just hoping that eventually the MTO will see the light and introduce something like BC's license endorsement, and especially the free tests for people over 65! (I can dream can't I - or just move to BC).

By the way, it is the loaded trailer weight less the pin weight that determines the weight of the trailer for licensing purposes. ("The weight transmitted to the road through the axles")

This is a very frustrating issue for owners of large 5th wheel trailers in Ontario. Sorry to bore everyone else with our local issues, but where better to discuss the licensing problems of owners of large trailers?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi John,

I'm sure the weight in question, would be the GVWR that is on the the "tag" on the trailer it's self.
not the weight that is on the trailer wheels or the pin weight sitting on the truck.
Our 2006 2980RL has a tag of 5652Kgs (12460 lbs) which means here in BC it is over the 4600 Kgs weight restriction
and you would need a special license to pull this trailer.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:16 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Holy Moley...For the time being ..anyhow.. It is good to Live in Ohio.We don't have any of that stuff..Just hook it up and go...not that that is a good idea...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #16
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
As OntMont says... the rules in Ontario are "different".. I will be going to the scales next week and that will solve some problems right away.......The caption "weight is determined by the force the wheels exert on the roadway" is the way it is here...so I would assume that my permit indicates what they believe that force is (until I weigh it I guess)....... another little caption found in the section that relates When Does Your Truck or Trailer requires a Safety Standards Certificate (SSC)...every towed vehicle that weighs over 2800Kg EXCEPT a HOUSE TRAILER requires a SSC.........and when determining the weight of your truck for such a certificate.....the PIN / TONGUE weight of the House trailer is not added to the weight of the truck........Now some folks have used that as an excuse NOT to increase the RGW of their trucks,,I think that would be a mistake as it only pertains to the requirement for an SSC.. As long as the RGW of the truck stays under 4500Kg then you dont need an SSC for it..... Thanks guys I will let you all know what my weights are....also in Ontario.... these sections are open to interpretation and can be construed in all kinds of ways.....hence, all the confusion....So, if you are stopped by an MTO inspector or OPP officer, he enforces the rules as he sees fit.....the courts decide if he is right or wrong.....and that can be very inconvenient or costly..depending on circumstances......I dont know many(if ANY) that enforce to the letter of the statute,,and will give you as much credit as possible if you are making a concerted effort to conform and follow the rules..I will increase my RGW...and keep my weights down...but the "A" licence and all its requirements as it pertains to RV's seem to be overkill...........Hopefully the rules will change to accomodate us.....I was actually hoping we would be grandfatherd in...

*******This is a RUMOUR that has come from someone who should be on top of things in the system.........the New WEIGHTS for RV's will be 7260Kg (16000lb)for towed vehicle and a COMBINED weight of 11800Kg(26000lb) The "just introduced legislation" is for a certain class of trailers(commercial) and the next set will be for RV's.........a rumour is a rumour at best, but we can hope...***********
Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #17
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
In 2007 I was told by MOT that in Ontario all 1 ton trucks need a CVOR (Commercial Vehicle Operator Registration) for licencing requirements. Here is what happened to me. In 2007 when at the licencing office I was told by the clerk I needed a CVOR and refused to renew my registration without it. So I called MOT and got a CVOR (it is free)you only need to download the forms, fill them in and send them back to MOT. In 2008 when renewing my registration I was never asked for that CVOR. Upon asking why I was told the CVOR is a MOT requirement and licencing offices that are not MOT's are not required to ask for the CVOR.
Also while talking to MOT I was told that Canada and the US are talking about having one standard licencing. Will it ever happen we will see.
While on the subject of the driving test that will be required. The first thing MOT staff will look at are the weights so if they find you overlaoded guess what. Go home and come back with a bigger truck cause the 5th wheel will be staying there and there will be NO test, and probably a fine. Again we will see....
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #18
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The MOT did make some changes last year that exempted RVs from CVOR, hours of work, and some other technicalities that really only apply to commercial trucks. They do seem to be moving slowly in the right direction, but it is frustratingly slow progress.

If all the jurisdictions could agree on a common (and reasonable) set of regulations, it would be wonderful, but with 50 states, 10 provinces, three territories, and two federal governments having their finger in the pie, not to mention all the special interest groups like RVers and truckers, I just can't see it happening.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #19
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
You are right you do not need to fill in the hours of work but I think the CVOR is still a requirement.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #20
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Amps, see below:

PERSONAL USE PICK-UP TRUCK AMENDMENTS FOR:
Commercial Vehicle Operators' Registration (CVOR),
Daily Vehicle Inspections (trip inspections), and
Hours-of-Service (log books)

August 16, 2007

© Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2007. This is an unofficial version of Government of Ontario legal materials. For accurate reference refer to the official volumes.
All Ontario law may be viewed on the internet at http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/

The following information introduces three new exemptions that may exempt a pick-up that is being used for personal use from the requirements of CVOR, daily vehicle inspections and hours-of-service. In the past the requirements did not distinguish between a pick-up that was being used for personal use or business use. Certain exemptions did apply in the past.

A "pick-up" that is only ever used for "personal use" or is only ever used to tow a trailer that used for personal use, is exempt from CVOR, daily vehicle inspection and hours-of-service.

"pick-up" in this document means,
a pick-up that has a vehicle weight rating (VWR) of 6,000 kgs (13,227 lbs) or less and is fitted with either,
- the original box that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified, or
- a replacement box that duplicates the one that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified.

Note, a fifth wheel or ball installed in the box of a pick-up is not a modification of the box.

Some 450 and 550 series cab and chassis trucks have been converted into pick-ups by after market companies. This type of pick-up does not qualify, as "pick-up" because the vehicle manufacturer did not install the box and the VWR will likely be over 6,000 kgs.

VWR is the amount determined by the manufacturer of a pick-up to be the maximum loaded weight of the pick-up. The rating can normally be found on a sticker on the driver's door and may be listed under "vehicle weight rating" (VWR) or "gross vehicle weight rating" (GVWR).

"Personal use " in this document means,
a pick-up that is being used for personal use without compensation, and is not carrying, or towing a trailer that is carrying, commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial use.

The following considerations may assist in determining whether a pick-up is for "personal use"
- Pick-ups towing house trailers, camper trailers, boat trailers, ATV and snowmobile trailers, etc. when towed for recreational purposes are examples of personal use trailers.

- Stockcar and racecar trailers, when towed for recreational purposes are considered personal use trailers, even though prize money may be involved in the racing.

The following is offered as guidance when towing horses:
personal use would include moving a horse to or from:
- fairs, exhibitions, horse shows, ploughing matches, pulling competitions.
- boarding facilities, where the horse is not included in a for-profit business.
business use would include moving a horse to or from:
- a racetrack sanctioned by the Ontario Racing Commission, for the purposes of racing, training or breeding.
- a horse used for riding by a facility where the public pays a fee to ride the horse.
- a horse transported by a person in the business of breeding or boarding horses for profit.
Note:
- the personal use pick-up exemption applies regardless of the pick-up's registered gross weight or any actual weights of the pick-up and or trailer.

Pick-ups that are used for both personal and business use:

Business use
If a pick-up or combination pick-up and trailer is being used for business use and the pick-up’s "actual weight" or registered gross weight (RGW) exceeds 4,500 kgs;
- a CVOR certificate is required.
- the driver is subject to the hours-of-service rules, and
- a daily vehicle inspection of the pick-up and any towed trailer is required. A farm use pick-up that is not towing a trailer is exempt.

"actual weight" means the weight of the pick-up plus any weight transferred to the pick-up through the tongue or gooseneck of an attached business use trailer.

Information about determining the correct amount of RGW for a pick-up, whether being used for personal or business use, can be found at; http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...s/trailers.htm

Personal use
When the same pick-up is being used for personal use the pick-up is exempt from CVOR daily vehicle inspection and hours-of-service:
- the driver is not required to produce a CVOR certificate.
- a daily vehicle inspection is not required,
- the driver is not subject to the hours-of-service rules.

Notes:
- a pick-up that is normally used for business purposes, including a farm plated pick-up qualifies as a personal use pick-up if it complies with and is being used in accordance with the personal use exemption rules.
- a trailer that is normally used for business purposes qualifies as a personal use trailer if it complies with and is being used in accordance with the personal use rules and is towed with a personal use pick-up.

Detailed information for owners and drivers of pick-ups that are used for business use and have weights over 4,500 kgs can be found at:
For CVOR - http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/cvor/index.html
For daily vehicle inspections - http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...ions/daily.htm
Please note this web page will soon be up-dated to reflect the new regulation, which comes into effect on July 1, 2007.
For hours-of service - http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...ions/hours.htm

Annual safety inspections
A pick-up, whether or not it is used for personal or business use may require an annual safety inspection. For details please visit: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...ons/annual.htm

The regulations containing the pick-up exemptions can be viewed at:

Regulation 424/97, (Commercial Motor Vehicle Operators’ Information) made under Section 16 of the Highway Traffic Act has been amended to exempt "personal use pick-up trucks". Effective date was June ¬¬¬8, 2007 http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_970424_e.htm Section 1.2.

Regulation 199/07 (Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspection Regulation (trip inspections), made under the Highway Traffic Act includes an exemption for "personal use pick-up trucks". Effective date of the Regulation and exemption is July 1, 2007.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_070199_e.htm Section 1.(1)(g)&(2).

Regulation 555/06 (Hours-of-Service Regulation), made under the Highway Traffic Act also includes an exemption for "personal use pick-up trucks". Effective date was January 1, 2007.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_060555_e.htm Section 3.(2) &(4).

End