Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #41
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
David Cook's version of First Time Ever I Saw Your Face gave me goose bumps! Before he started, I was having a hard time imagining a guy singing that song = but Wow! Simon really knew what he was doing, challenging David to sing that one. I agree with everything MacDR50 said.

otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #42
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face--WOW! I agree completely with everyone's assessment of David Cook's rendition of that song. I also agree with the "canned singing" comments about David Archuleta. I just don't get any feeling behind his songs. Bye-Bye Syesha (AI comes on up here in about 12 minutes).

And, about the Fever rendition done by Syesha--Yes, I am also SO TIRED of bootie/boobie/nasty girl stuff on television and in real life. If you've seen the news about the Florida high school dance last weekend that turned into something not suitable to even describe on this forum, you know what I mean. I do believe that Syesha irritated the judges with her Fever performance last night. My thinking is that she realized she wasn't going to outsing the guys, so she used what she had to get some votes. Yuk.

Time to get a cup of tea and shush the dogs--it's nearly AI time! I'm sticking with my picks. David Cook will win, David Archuleta will be the runner-up.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #43
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
See! Y'all told each other so!!!!

I would have like to see Syesha and David Cook as finalists. But, Hey! What do I know. My music background is that I taught Accordion when I was still in high school. Can you imagine in the lat '50's getting $4.00 an hour. That was fantastic.

I really, really hope David Cook gets to go all the way.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #44
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
America got it right tonight!

Carolyn
Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #45
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I agree Carolyn! America got it right! Now my support goes to David Cook!

And I do know what you're talking about with the prom. It's gotten out of control.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #46
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I still think young David is talented, in a Disneyesque kind of way, but I just dont see superstardom. The kid is waaaaay too bashfull, I hope nobody takes offense to this but towards the beginning I first thought he might be autistic. I just read that Idols ratings are way off this year, I personally think Idol needs to lose those weeks where they sing songs from a specific artists songbook. I found 2 weeks of the beatles combined with andrew lloyd webber really dull. Neil Diamond was ok but I'll bet the younger fans disliked all of them. I say go back to themes and let the contestants chose from multiple artists.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #47
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Snownyet, I definitely agree with you about the specific artist thing. If and when the Idol aspirants are stars, they'll be signed with a label that addresses their specific talent (blues, rock, folk, country, etc.). I think they should be allowed to choose their own songs from beginning to end. Initially, a bit of professional coaching and help in song selection would be appropriate, but to force a blues singer to sing country, or to force a folk singer to sing heavy metal does nothing but produce poor performances and a dull show. If the audience truly selects the Idol, let the audience hear the genre the singer intends to pursue, and THEN let the votes be cast.

I still like the show, but it was very s-l-o-w for most of the season, primarily because it was filled with so much non-Idol stuff, which I saw as nothing but padding to make the show an hour long. By the time the list is down to 5, a much shorter show would be appropriate.

And WHAT was that thing that Fantasia delivered last night? I thought her "Summertime" rendition during the season she won was absolutely the most touching thing I'd ever seen or heard. Last night--oh, my word. Singers and songs like that are a dime a dozen, and they're also not very popular with the general public (in my opinion). I was glad to see the giggly, playful Fantasia emerge for a few seconds when she talked to Ryan after that number, but prior to that I felt as though I were watching a horror movie, a very LOUD horror movie.

Carolyn
Old 05-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #48
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Themes were better because they allowed more choice. Before they go back I want a Joe Cocker night. That would be fun to watch. I think Syesha has already landed a deal based upon her reaction last night. Now if Dave A. is smart he will put on a open necked shirt, a black leather jacket and some jeans with CB boots for next week.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #49
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I absolutely agree Snownyet. Go back to letting the contestants choose their songs. Idol was much more fun then! It doesn't make any sense for someone to be forced to sing a particular song type when that isn't there style. Could you see Steve Tyler from Aerosmith competing and having to sing Neil Dimond? Wouldn't work. He'd be voted off. Or Dolly Parton having to sing a rock n roll song. No way. That girl is all country.

Carolyn, I was hoping you could tell me what that was last night that Fantasia did. Looked like a chicken dance with an issue to me. I finally just muted the TV while she was "singing". Her moves made more sense that way!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #50
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Critics! Geez!

I should have been singing last night. Y'all would have had a much better time.
(AND I CAN"T SING)

David Cook - all the way.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #51
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Ya but can u wear a sequined gown, high heals and dance with a chair? I left the room when Fantasia started and wouldn't return till she finished.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #52
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Off the subject here, but, Wayne, I used to take accordian lessons when I was in Jr. High School - (a few years ago.) OK, more than a few. But there aren't many folks that play accordian any more, are there? I would love to rekindle with an accordian, a red, 120 bass. ah, memories......

Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #53
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
the "thing" Fantasia sang was the worst ever! I really would have loved to hear the judges critique that one! OMG!!!! I agree with all the conversation about making a contestant sing something completely out of their style - just doesn't work!
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #54
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Tammy, you found the words for what I couldn't describe--CHICKEN DANCE. It was awful. Did you see Simon's face when the camera got a shot of him as she was singing? I bet he and the other 2 judges were wondering what happened to the girl they knew several seasons ago. MacDR50, I wish I'd left the room, too, because I cannot get that red hair, gaping mouth, and screeching out of my mind!

If David Archuleta has a prayer of winning, I agree that he needs to loosen up--jeans, boots, leather, and maybe a 5 o'clock shadow (anything that would make him "edgier"). But from what I've read and heard about his father, fat chance of that happening. He could improve things a lot by simply opening his eyes and not looking as though he was going to faint at any moment. Sweet kid, but maybe not quite ready for the rough and tumble world of the music industry.

Aaaaarghhhhh! Why, oh why, didn't I leave the room--leave the RV, in fact--when Fantasia hit the stage? (I know why--I was so shocked that I couldn't even stand up, much less walk!)
Carolyn
Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #55
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I think Simon's face said it. For all of America!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #56
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Simons face was simply what the h** was that? The red hair and spandex jumpsuit did do her any favors either.Most real folks dont have perfect figures, but we have enough sense to avoid spandex
Old 05-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #57
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Yikes!!!!! Now we have a contest, for sure. All along I've thought David Cook would walk away with the crown, but tonight, well, little David Archuleta sang his heart out and sang circles around David Cook at the same time. I'm no music critic, but if tonight was the do or die performance, I thing David Archuleta do--did--done--won.

Oh, my--those little teenyboppers are no doubt wearing out the keypads on their cell phones while they are voting for David Archuleta.

Carolyn
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #58
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Either way, I think David Cook will end up being more successful. Not winning could end up being a blessing.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #59
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I agree with Carolyn and Snownyet. Archuletta sang his heart heart out last night, but I also agree that Cook will be more successful. Can't wait to watch tonight!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #60
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I certainly do not want to irritate six pages of posters, but IMHO, anybody who watches AI, needs to get a life...I'd have to be bored to death to watch that show!

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote