Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Tax on Diesel/Gas....

A congressman named Dingel thanks they need to put a 50 cent tax on Gas/Diesel to pay to fix our Planet. Thats what I would call a idiot. An I think he is from MI. The Automotive industry is laying off workers everyday. In my opinion I think they should drop the Federal tax for a year. The dollar is worth nothing now, because of droping interest rates and printing more money to bail out people who made bad decisions. We are in trouble, I said a while back better budget for $5.00 a gallon for Diesel this year, well be look at $5.50. GBY.....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Idiot is a nice word to use on these tree huggers. They are the ones that have made the prices so high. OK enough bashing. We need money to repair the road system in this country bad. Dropping the fuel tax I don't think would be the answer. Quit building these trails for bike and roller bladers. Look up how much that costs. In IOWA the roads are a disgrace but we have paved bike trails. True we might need them but we need to repair the roads now. This will no doubt bring on all kinds of comments so here we go.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well that's not nice..what if your pass time was biking or roller blading. How about a "Weight tax" on thse heavy rigs we pull around the country helping to tear up the roads. Why would we want to deprive someone else of their pass time so we can continue ours????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
I think some people here are loosing their minds.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
How would this work you think? We, the people of the United States, vote a salary decrease of, lets say, 20% for ALL congressmen, senators, and lets see now.....maybe they should also pay for their own insurance like the rest of us do. Seems fair dont you think? And How about also "taxing" the oil companies that are already making huge profits? Why is it that every thing has to be paid by the American people when most are already taxed and beaten to death by our senators and congressmen? Well, now I'm ready to hear why this has to be, lol, I think my ancestor was the leader of the "Boston Tea Party", wonder how many knows what that is? lol
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Tom41, I agree!
Delaine and Lindy, If you can give us a link to his comments and give us an e-mail, I for one will send him a e-mail telling him politely No Thanks. If more people would write to these folks they would soon get the idea that their idea is not so good (especially for re-election).
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Tom thats the smartest thing I have heard all day. thanks for saying it. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a good thing nobody listens to us. The country would be in a shambles in a month if they did...

Hope all understand that I am not serious about the "weight tax" this is a wacky thread and Jerzy54 may be right.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Tom41, that was great. Add to that the politicians getting "campaign funds" from the general, taxpaying public so that they can get or keep their job. I don't recall any of them offering me money or campaign funds to keep my business going. I am from Michigan and Congressman Dingle never offered up a tax plan to finance my business, either. They make "tax break" sound like dirty words.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Its a shame that someone identifies a liberal for what they are - tax and spend happy - and one of the first things in reply is "tax the corporations". John Dingle is scary just like most liberals who would rather spend our money protecting the spotted California wood gnat instead of investing in energy independence. Consider when the economy started going South and the dollar became weak and you might notice that it was after the House and Senate moved left after January 2007.

I don't know about you guys but my retirement nestegg, my Thrift Savings Plan, 401K and mutual funds rely on companies making profits so why condemn them? Why is it when the XYZ Company makes 10 percent profit its no big deal but when Exxon makes 9.8 percent profit its obscene? Tax the companies? Why not just say reduce my retirement income instead.

Yep, this is a broken record but remember two things said by John Kennedy - "When the tide comes in all boats rise." and "No government ever taxed themselves into prosperity."

I like Rich's sarcasm by the way, always have.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I really don't think this thread is wacky. I think we as a people had better get our act together, or the RV parks in Fla will have a lot of empty sites. When the value of the dollar goes down, Oil prices go up. We as Rver's like what we are doing, but you can't tow a 3400 with a Hybrid. As was said, write your congress person and let them know we don't need more taxes. We need to stop bailing out every group that makes bad decisions. We have got to stop printing more money, we are living in a false economy and I think we are on the brink of disaster. And we better start drilling our on oil, and build more refineries now. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with Delaine. I can't figure out why these congressman are not trying to figure out ways to get more Americans to travel this summer so we can stimulate the economy. A $.50 tax on fuel is just stupid - especially right now. These morons seem to be trying to see if the can destroy our economy worse than what 9-11 did. And it will be easier because 9-11 happened AFTER the summer travel season. This ongoing crisis of out of control gas prices is going to hit just before the most critical time of the year for Americans.

These politicians are actually trying to slow down driving even more - on purpose! As you are reading, Americans are canceling their summer travel plans in droves. I have no clue what these guys are thinking...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OPEN ANWR NOW, SCREW THE CARIBOU!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now we are getting to what will work..get involved in your government, Write your representitives. Let them know what you need them to do to represent you. Give our great system of Governmnet a chance to work.

I am glad that folks recognize my sarcasam at times. It is of course deliberate and a attempt to cause thought. I note that we did not get many respones to my "all rv'ers in north American stop driving for a month" plan instead of Mobile/Exxon Boycott. Sarcasm at its best.

This is also us as quoted by Steve and Brenda........."I don't know about you guys but my retirement nestegg, my Thrift Savings Plan, 401K and mutual funds rely on companies making profits so why condemn them? Why is it when the XYZ Company makes 10 percent profit its no big deal but when Exxon makes 9.8 percent profit its obscene? Tax the companies? Why not just say reduce my retirement income instead"
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Sparks fly as ExxonMobil profit tops 10 billion dollars
The soaring profits of ExxonMobil and other oil groups have generated fierce criticism about the industry profiting from consumer misery, prompting some US lawmakers to call for a "windfall" profits tax.
"Exxon reported another blowout quarter, earning a whopping 10.3 billion in just one quarter. Revenues rose 12 percent to 99 billion dollars -- marking the first time in history that a US company exceeded one billion dollars per day ... The profit growth of the supermajors is tremendous and the interim results continue to exceed expectations."
I dont believe I mention anywhere in my previous post that ALL companies are to be taxed on windfall profits , only big oil companies that reap windfall profits at the expense of American families that cant even make ends meet or small companies that operates on very very small profits and cant give their "RETIRING CEO's $400,000,000 for a retirment package . I also own stocks since the 1980's, and yes I like for my companies to make a profit, but not to the expense of destroying our country. And yep Rich, I believe in the goverment process, but that doesnt mean that our goverment doesnt have corruption in it and that I cant get mad and maybe its about time that some people get their heads out of the sand and really see whats happening.I'm done with this thread and know that a couple will love that LOL! Isn't Life great? BTY I did e-mail my tennessee representive and senator, and I guess while they were reading my e-mails three (3) were taking bribes under the table. they were caught and resigned and in jail. But they were really interested in what I had to say! LOL. So I guess the process does work since they were caught, but never gotten a reply as of yet.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The point is the individual needs to get involved in solving the problem instead of pointing fingers and offering wacky schemes . We have corrupt Representatives true but we elect them. Know the person that represents you and if they is not dong it..let them know. Windfall profits tax has not been very effective and is a band aid..not a solution to the problem.

"In 1980, United States federal legislation was passed that levied such a tax on oil companies because of the profits they earned as a result of the sharp increase in oil prices brought about by the Arab oil embargo. Since then, the tax has not been reenacted, however with gas prices once again reaching record levels there is renewed pressure on the U.S. government to bring back the tax. Amid low oil prices, the tax was ended in 1988 by President Ronald Reagan [1].

The Congressional Research Service has analysed that the windfall profit tax brought in $80 billion in extra revenues for the United States government, which was far less than the projected $393 billion. Also, domestic oil production by oil producers was said to be lowered.

These are not to be confused with the excess profit taxes of WWI, WWII, and the Korean War eras. Windfall Profit Taxes are more of an excise-type of tax.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
When are Americans going to get it..."tax the corporations" is an absurd answer to any problem. Corporations do not, and never have, paid one penny of any kind of tax. The consumer pays ALL the taxes on everything. So go ahead, tax the corporations...they'll pass it on to us.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #18
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I read an article in the last couple of weeks that sttd, "Refuse to buy gas or diesel at EXXON and MOBIL. It won't take long if everyone would do that to cause a price drop. The price of fuel is a monopoly. Each morning the Service Station managers are called by the local fuel distributor and told what to make their price for the day. It used to be this was illegal. I guess that law does not pretain to the Oil Companies. Check it out.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #19
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
deerrahn, it is suppose to be illegal, but write your senator, he'll take care of it. And Tom yep you right most Big corp dont pay taxes, doesn't mean they should'nt, and they still move overseas, and still they "pass" along increases to you and I and all the american people. So what now? And Rich, when you think I say something "wacky",,well,LOL, its usually meant for you! : )
Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A sense of humor is a good thing when things are as Wacky as they are now. Here is a good idea Taxing the big greedy corporations do no good....so..tax us, tax our fuel guzzling big trucks, Tax our Recreational vehicles ..why should we be recreating when folks can't afford to buy fuel.Why should we be enjoying ourselves in Florida when folks are freezing in Wisconsin..We are having fun when folks are in dire strights all over the country Why are we the fat cats enjoying all the perks of a lifetime of working..how selfish, uncaring and greedy is that..??

Hey.... we could all go to Mexico....